The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny

Post by linny »

Did the 2.3.1 version of Audacity eliminate the Leveler effect? I can't seem to find it. :hmm:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't have that version, but can you go into Effect/Manage Plugins (or something like that) and see if it's disabled?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
linny

Post by linny »

TriciaG wrote: November 14th, 2019, 11:55 am I don't have that version, but can you go into Effect/Manage Plugins (or something like that) and see if it's disabled?
Great idea!
Alas, it's not listed there. Oh well. I did like that effect. I found it most helpful at times. :(
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: November 14th, 2019, 12:36 pm
TriciaG wrote: November 14th, 2019, 11:55 am I don't have that version, but can you go into Effect/Manage Plugins (or something like that) and see if it's disabled?
Great idea!
Alas, it's not listed there. Oh well. I did like that effect. I found it most helpful at times. :(
Doesn't the Limiter do much the same thing? https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/limiter.html

(What do I know?!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Oh, the old Leveler effect is now in the Distortion menu. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/distortion.html
linny

Post by linny »

KevinS wrote: November 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm Oh, the old Leveler effect is now in the Distortion menu. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/distortion.html
Woohoo! That's it. Thank you, Kevin! :9:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: November 14th, 2019, 1:09 pm
KevinS wrote: November 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm Oh, the old Leveler effect is now in the Distortion menu. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/distortion.html
Woohoo! That's it. Thank you, Kevin! :9:
Always at your service.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hello,

I'm PLing on "Riceyman Steps" currently in progress as a solo project. I downloaded chapter 29 and ran through the checker and it is saying that it is failed due to being in stereo rather than mono. The reader says that he recorded in mono. I'm not sure why the error would come up or how to suggest fixing it.

Thanks for any advice!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

ColleenMc wrote: November 21st, 2019, 8:42 am Hello,

I'm PLing on "Riceyman Steps" currently in progress as a solo project. I downloaded chapter 29 and ran through the checker and it is saying that it is failed due to being in stereo rather than mono. The reader says that he recorded in mono. I'm not sure why the error would come up or how to suggest fixing it.

Thanks for any advice!
Colleen
I am sure somebody will come and give a better answer. For now, have you tried importing it into Audacity? Then you can see if it is stereo or mono. On the rarest of occasions, Checker does make a mistake. If it is in stereo, I would ask the reader to triple check that he checks the 'force export to mono' box when exporting. Otherwise, I am not totally sure what happened.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks I'll try it!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ColleenMc wrote: November 21st, 2019, 8:53 am Thanks I'll try it!

Colleen
I hope you don't mind, but I had a look at the recording and it is in stereo (of a sort.) It's a strange looking matter with one track rather different than the other but perhaps just at a vastly different volume.

It might be best to mix the stereo down to mono in Audacity rather than forcing it in the export. Perhaps that doesn't matter, but it might avoid future problems if the reader can see his set up for himself. I wonder if he created the second track when he increased the volume of the piece.

No telling. Sometimes we find mysteries, don't we?

Apologies if I am sticking my nose where it does not belong.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

KevinS wrote: November 21st, 2019, 9:35 am It might be best to mix the stereo down to mono in Audacity rather than forcing it in the export. Perhaps that doesn't matter, but it might avoid future problems if the reader can see his set up for himself. I wonder if he created the second track when he increased the volume of the piece.
Great idea! My thought was that since he said he recorded in mono, something might have gone wrong. Once he checks the box, he only has to do that once and it will become mono every time he exports. Of course, I have absolutely no idea what that does to the quality. Perhaps you are right.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 21st, 2019, 10:07 am Once he checks the box, he only has to do that once and it will become mono every time he exports.
Yes. As for myself, now that I have all my settings correct, I refuse to change anything. (I'm a coward.) I won't even move my microphone.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Same here in terms of not messing with any settings! I'm not even sure how to explain how to "mix it down" to mono. I may have to refer the reader here.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon