[COMPLETE]The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes DR -ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sorry, but no, whatever you are doing it isn’t working. I’m also a bit puzzled by your comment that you need to amplify after noise cleaning - a light round of noise cleaning should not affect the speech portions of the recording so much.

Can I just check your noise cleaning process with you?
- highlight a section of the background silence only (no speech)
- in the noise reduction function in Audacity select “get noise profile”
- back in the main file, select everything
- now in the noise reduction function select “reduce noise” I usually reduce by about 6dB for a “light” noise cleaning.

If necessary (and I think it will be) you can do the entire process two or three times, making sure to select the silence only each time - this should reduce the background noise without affecting the speech too much. If I’ve done the noise reduction properly I don’t need to amplify afterwards.
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

That wasn't meant to be curt! My keyboard has finally given up the ghost, so I'm now
on my laptop.

Anyway, that seems to have done the trick! (I was doing it wrong. :roll: )

If this is okay now, let me know, and I'll delete all the edits I've done so far,
and start again from fresh. (It's all practise!)

It will be a few days before my new keyboard arrives, so you may not
hear from me for a while.

Andrew
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

adrianstephens wrote: November 14th, 2019, 1:31 am Here's a re-recording of part of victor hatherley: “Half dazed, I went into the station and asked about the morning train. There would be one to Reading in less than an hour. The same porter was on duty, I found, as had been there when I arrived. I inquired of him whether he had ever heard of Colonel Lysander Stark. The name was strange to him. Had he observed a carriage the night before waiting for me? No, he had not. Was there a police-station anywhere near? There was one about three miles off.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_victor_hatherley_b_09_128kb.mp3
Thanks Adrian, Victor Hatherley is now PL OK again! Thanks for doing that extra bit! :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

This is much better, but it could even do with a bit more. You have two choices:
- repeat the entire process with a new section of silence to gently reduce the "new" background noise
- increase the noise the reduction first time around. I've just checked my settings and I usually reduce by 8dB, so you have room to go up a bit here.

It really is easier to start with the cleanest file possible before doing any other editing, so it's worth a bit of fuss at this point to avoid having to redo a lot of editing later on!
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Okay, I am getting seriously pissed off with this now!

I think my problem is that I am slightly hard of hearing. (Too much
Heavy Metal when I was younger!)

The file I will be posting from my pc has now gone through noise reduction
five more times - using a different bit of silence each time. It sounds EXACTLY
the same as the previous half dozen to me! (See my problem?)

Is this one any better?

If not, I'm afraid that you will have to find somebody else to read Dr. Watson and do the editing,
I don't want to play anymore.

Andrew
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Awww, don’t quit just when you are getting the swing of it! This file is lovely! 5 times might have been a bit excessive - I agree you can’t hear any difference at that point, but twice should be plenty.

Once you have a noise cleaning routine you just process every file the same way and it becomes very quick.

Still, if you’re getting frustrated, take some time off, wait for your new keyboard (which always makes things easier) and come back with fresh eyes!

And look on the bright side - you did it all in post processing and didn’t need to re-record the entire file! That’s happened to me before, more than once...
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

What a relief!

It's wasn't doing everything again and again that frustrated me - it was the fact
that I couldn't tell any difference!

I could hear the noise that you mentioned on the original file - if I turned the volume up
much louder than I usually work at.

BUT... Once I applied Noise Reduction correctly once, that sound disappeared, as far as I could tell.
Still, I ran it through twice more as you suggested - thinking BINGO! - I've cracked it!

Then you got back to me and said you could still hear background noise...

This makes me seriously question if my hearing is good enough to be working with
audio files!

Still, now that I know that it can be done, all well and good.

I'll run Sections 3 to 6 through the same, and re-post them for you to check sound levels.
(Although in future I would appreciate hearing about any problems before a file is marked as PL OK! :lol: )

Andrew
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

johnnyenglish wrote: November 15th, 2019, 8:07 am Then you got back to me and said you could still hear background noise...

This makes me seriously question if my hearing is good enough to be working with
audio files!

Still, now that I know that it can be done, all well and good.
Andrew
Hello Andrew,

I do have one tip for you - forgive me if I'm teaching you something you already know. Set the track's display format to "Waveform (dB)". This highlights the very low intensity sounds. If you do it on a track with a bit of noise, it immediately becomes evident.

Keep on truckin'

Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Thanks Adrian - I shall defo look into that!

(It is somewhat unnerving to consider that I cannot actually hear what I am recording!)

BTW: Toller - nailed it! :D
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_02_doyle_128kb.mp3

47:14

Let's see if this is any better! (At least it passed Checker this time!)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! I’ll PL this tonight, filename is right and it’s a whole 2 mins shorter! The sound quality is much better now - lovely clear background!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Section 2 is PL OK! :9:
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_03_doyle_128kb.mp3

Please doublecheck this for me... It sounds good to me - but my hearing is defective!

I REALLY don't want to edit your Mary Sutherland again! (I totally understand that this was due to your operation -
but it took forever to edit! Worth the effort tho' - I personally think - realy believable character! Thick as shit!)

I haven't got all the material that I need for sections 4, 5, and 6 - I understand that Peter has some issue with his computer,
and maybe Larry is too busy to be arsed.

However, I shall apply the CORRECT noise recction to Dr. Watson 4, 5, and 6, and submit them for your approval.

I can either just make some new files - about a minute long - so you can check the sound levels. Or I can just upload
the whole files - whatever works best for you!

Andrew :D