'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ahab (Stewart Wills) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of Moby Dick:
Just a short note of BIG thanks to Stewart Wills for an epic reading!!

I was halfway through the book when it was lost on the Mekong River while travelling on a slow boat between Thailand and Laos.

Although I have searched secondhand bookshops as I wend my way through South-East Asia looking for another copy, this has been in vain.

So, Thank You Stuart, I listened from start to finish in 3 days – I am sure it took a lot longer (and a lot more effort!!) to record this.

You should be rightly proud of your narrative skills. Well Done!

Many thanks also to Librivox – My first encounter with you. It won’t be the last!

Viktor – Originally from England – Now travelling for a long, long time!
and..

I just wanted to thank Mr. Stewart Wills for his excellent reading of Moby Dick, by Herman Melville. I've nearly finished listening to the whole thing, which has taken me a couple of months. I enjoy his reading, his characterization of the voices, and his ability to make the story come alive.

All of Stewart's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for beeber (Bruce Pirie) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Pirie,

Thank you so very much for reading George Eliot's "Scenes of Clerical Life." I enjoy your gentle, crisp, enunciation and leisurely pace that allow the beauty and brilliance of Eliot's prose to speak for themselves. A "dissenter" myself, :-) , I love the spiritual theme of these works. I just finished "Janet's Repentance" and think I have rarely read or heard a more eloquent, moving story of redemption.
Sincerely yours,
Joan
Fayetteville, NC

All of Bruce's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Jmbau13 (Jane Bennett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
To Jane: Thank you so much for narrating "Princes and Poisoners." It
is an excellent book, well researched, using contemporary documents and
testimonies. It is a pleasure to read such a book, or hear it read as
in my case.

Thank you for taking so much of your time to make tjis available to
those of us who have trouble reading.

When hearing the book, I noticed that the narrations in Sections 15 and
16 are identical. As a result, I could not get to Section 15 "A
Magistrate Part 2" because it has the text of Section 16, "The Death of
Madame." Is it possible that the original text of Section 15 can be
made available to us?

Again, thank you so much for your work on this book.

Susan

All of Jane's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for GordMackenzie (Gord Mackenzie) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just wanted to say thank you to Gordon McKenzie for his reading of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. His tempo and vocal character really lead me to a place of enjoyment hearing the story unfold. It was realistic and his voice was fitting to the tale.

Thank you Gordon!

All of Gord's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for m8b1 (Maria Therese) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello!

Our family is so grateful that librivox recordings exists! We have been fortunate enough to discover many wonderful Catholic writings by Mother Mary Loyola, Fr. Gerald T. Brennan, and others.

We are especially fond of hearing Maria Therese read these selections as her voice is so calm, clear, and steady. When we discover a recording by her, my children and I listen with great enthusiasm. It’s like an old friend is sitting down to tell us a good story.

Please keep adding to your extensive collection—we’re out here and we’re listening!

Thank you,
Julie

All of Maria's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for sirjoh (Sergio Baldelli) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Huge thanks, grazie mille to / a Sergio Baldelli for the excellent reading of l'ultima passeggiata, the last walk, from "Myricae" by Giovanni Pascoli.

Danielle

All of Sergio's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Hokuspokus (Hokuspokus) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thanks for the helpful Version of „Sarrasine“ by Honoré Balzac, read by Hokus Pokus. Helped me a lot with my literature study!

All the best,

Tara

All of Hokuspokus' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for AndreaFiore (Andrea Fiore) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,

My name is Emmanuel from Ghana.

I would like to thank Andrea Fiore. She did a great job reading Delmer Eugene Croft's Supreme Personality.

That is my morning book; I listen to that at least four times in a week. She is literally in my head a lot of the day.

Thank you once again.

Sincerely,
Emmanuel.

All of Andrea's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Caeristhiona (Kirsten Ferreri) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you so much! I sometimes have to quit an audible book because the reader is reading too fast. You read at a wonderful cadence and have a lovely voice and your inflections are just wonderful. Thank you so much.

Michelle

All of Kirsten's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Ralph Snelson (Ralph Snelson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
While the above subject lends itself to be associated with visions of an elementary student being enthralled by a guest narrator, I think it conveys what this complimentary email is all about.
Though I have enjoyed your service (app) for a number (many, many) of years I consequently have long periods (not years) that I may not listen as consistently. Yet I can proudly proclaim that I have paid for the privilege of enjoying the 'Pro' version (purchased...yes, you guessed it, years ago) of your unique application. And it is when I check in to see what books have been added recently that...
...in a well worn phrase it is most aptly stated, "feels like coming home."
Now, before you wonder what I've up my sleeve (given that gushing, yet trite expression), such phraseology serves to transition into the purpose of this a.d.d. driven letter.
The 'comfortable sweater' aura is not due entirely to my fanatical patronage of 'Librevox'. Moreover it is attributed in a very large part to my tendency of gravitating invariably to the soothing sound and competent characterizations of Mr. Ralph Snelson!
And though there may exist somewhere in this universe an individual (nay, a being) of dubious extraction who incorrectly attributes his sub appreciation of well constructed literature in the twisted belief that Mr. Snelson's voice is the sole factor involved in having his nerves grated upon to a level of dangerous and utter distraction!.... I am pleased to equally attribute (a recognizable synonym fails me just now) that same source as my ideal of the wonderful weaver of tales reminiscent of my Transporting Purveyor of Wonderful Tales who figured so prominently in my youth!
And in conclusion, the winner of 'Favorite Reader' (possibly of all time) is RALPH SNELSON !!!!

All of Ralph's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for earthcalling (David Barnes) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi David,

Just a note to tell you I’ve been listening to your voice reading part 1 and 2 of Mills’ “On Liberty” for about a year now –and thoroughly enjoy it. It’s probably one of the most difficult books I’ve tried reading myself and I’m not ashamed to say that I haven’t been able to do it because I don’t have the time/energy to give it the slow, deliberate study the text demands. Your clear, intelligent reading has helped me understand the book better than my reading ever could and I just wanted to say thank you. It must have been a Herculean task because I tried reading a few pages out loud myself, but I couldn’t get it anywhere near as polished and fluid as your reading. I’d love to know how you approached the text? You must have had to study it page by page to make sure you understand it then make several attempts, surely? Perhaps you teach political science at some university? Any case, it was a noble cause you undertook and you executed it with (I can’t think of the word, but I’m sure you know what I mean).

On Liberty is a book that I’m proud to say I know, have “read” and can even quote several extracts by now. I have only you to thank.

Thank you!

Hani

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Smith ,
I have in the past year , suffered a loss of vision such that has made reading a definite chore at best , even with bright light and strong magnification. I am not complaining , just leading into the following . I have just happily discovered Librivox , which I consider a definite “ Godsend “ at the juncture in life , since reading has been one of my chief entertainments for the past 8 decades . I am now able to enjoy books of my past through the Librivox program and wish to tell you how very much I am enjoying your reading of ' Kidnapped '. Thank you very much for having done this reading , I doubt that you , and all the other volunteer readers will ever realize how much your efforts are , and have benefited others, especially those with vision problems . I hope that I will run across other readings by you for I have thoroughly enjoyed yours of this book . This is only the second audio book that I have ever experienced , but I look forward to enjoying many more . Thanh you again from Pawleys Island !

J
All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for readers of the group projects for Jesse Lyman Hurlbut's Story of the Bible from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Over the last few weeks, I have been listening to the Librivox recording of the Stories of the Bible

The readers were very articulate and easily understood.

The stories themselves were short enough that listening while at work, did not pose any problems

I enjoyed how the parts of the book were broken into sections, and those sections referenced where in the Bible the story came from

Thank you to the many diverse readers that put these 7 parts of the book together
https://librivox.org/hurlbuts-story-of-the-bible-part-one/
https://librivox.org/hurlbuts-story-of-the-bible-part-two/
https://librivox.org/hurlbuts-story-of-the-bible-part-three/
https://librivox.org/hurlbuts-story-of-the-bible-part-four/
https://librivox.org/hurlbuts-story-of-the-bible-part-five/
https://librivox.org/hurlbuts-story-of-the-bible-part-six/
https://librivox.org/hurlbuts-story-of-the-bible-part-seven/
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ExEmGe (Andy Minter) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just lately found the Max Carradas character reading a compendium of Victorian sleuth stories. Often these authors are no longer widely available (thank goodness for Internet Archive and for Project Gutenburg sites and related complimentary activities or even more would be lost to us) to read, much less to be able to enjoy as an audiobook!

I was completely unprepared to find so many of Ernest Bramah's short stories already read into Librivox and available! And listening to Andy Minter's readings, including character voices, has been as enjoyable as any commercial audiobook!

It appears Andy is no longer with us, but his contribution and work deserves to be praised and remembered. Any one of his productions can serve as a tutorial/demo for any new reader, I should think.

Great work by so many wonderful volunteers!

Kind regards

Tim

All of Andy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for THynes (Tadhg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Tadhg,
After listening to your totally engrossing reading of "David Copperfield", I honestly believe you and Charles Dickens must be one and the same...in a different lifetime. I can see why this story was Dickens' favorite. It has everything a listener could want in an epic tale; and your unique voices for each character made the story come to life in a way I dearly loved! Thank you so much for all your priceless readings. I've listened to at least 3/4 of them now and can't wait to start another one.

Warmest regards,
Susan
Orlando, FL USA

All of Tadhg's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!