COMPLETE [SHORT STORIES] Stories and Pictures by I. L. Peretz; translated by Helena Frank (1872-1954 - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Angelique. I will remove all of your submitted sections from this project and we will open them up for other readers.

I will also delete the post where you questioned Lynda's PL comments on those sections as that post is not relevant or helpful to the project going forward.

MaryAnn
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

To all,
Going forward, do no continue to antagonize people who have made it clear they are making all atempts to disconnect from you.
It's truly a wise and dignified action.
~Angelique
MaraBella

Post by MaraBella »

Happy October, everyone! *insert ghost emoji here*

I'm so so sorry this took so long; I learned a lot about what NOT to do in sound engineering, trying to manually clean these 30 short minutes of audio. Thank you so much for the extension, and I'll try to get the next one in much sooner. (If it's ok to ask for extensions on Underground and The Poor Little Boy, that would be great, but I'm just as happy to declaim those and try newly claiming some sections one by one after this, so I'm not holding anyone else back.)

Anyway, here's section 17, the seasonally appropriate The Dead Town:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_17_peretz_128kb.mp3 [30:01]
- Mara

CC of any kind, from any source, is welcome and encouraged. I am brand new to this and hardly know what I am doing, but I'm very eager to learn!
Pinklady77

Post by Pinklady77 »

Hello
I can read section 46 and 47.
Does all the Hannah letters need to be read by the same person?

Also. I need pronunciation help because when I Google some of the names and words I'm not.getting any good help. I'm referring to my current sections already claimed.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lola
Lola
MaraBella

Post by MaraBella »

Okay, here's Section 18: Days of the Messiah!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_18_peretz_128kb.mp3 [20:00]

I recorded this and ch 17 with a different audio setup than usual, so they're on the quieter side of the allowable range. Anything I do in future will use my other setup and be on the louder side, I promise!

And Lola, I can try to help with pronunciation, at least for Yiddish words - I have no experience with Polish or Russian. Sometimes I still make mistakes in my own recordings, because this translator romanizes the Yiddish differently than modern teachers (from whom I've been learning Yiddish) do, but once you know what's intended with the basic sounds you can make out most of the words. For example: ö is the "oy" sound, so Röfeh is said "Royfeh" and Yössil is said "Yoyss-ihl". Eï is said "ai," like "eye", so Meïr Baal-Ness is said "Mair Bahl-Nehss", and I don't see any ä sounds in your section, but ä is said "ei," like "hey". And I don't know if you have experience with the Hebrew "ch" but all the ch sounds in Yiddish are the same, a guttural h like you're clearing your throat. I can try to make a quick recording for you tonight of the sounds I'm describing, and the names in your sections, if you think that would be helpful! But again, I may be fallible myself, and a lot of the place names are Polish/Russian.
- Mara

CC of any kind, from any source, is welcome and encouraged. I am brand new to this and hardly know what I am doing, but I'm very eager to learn!
Pinklady77

Post by Pinklady77 »

MaraBella wrote: October 7th, 2019, 10:18 am Okay, here's Section 18: Days of the Messiah!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_18_peretz_128kb.mp3 [20:00]

I recorded this and ch 17 with a different audio setup than usual, so they're on the quieter side of the allowable range. Anything I do in future will use my other setup and be on the louder side, I promise!

And Lola, I can try to help with pronunciation, at least for Yiddish words - I have no experience with Polish or Russian. Sometimes I still make mistakes in my own recordings, because this translator romanizes the Yiddish differently than modern teachers (from whom I've been learning Yiddish) do, but once you know what's intended with the basic sounds you can make out most of the words. For example: ö is the "oy" sound, so Röfeh is said "Royfeh" and Yössil is said "Yoyss-ihl". Eï is said "ai," like "eye", so Meïr Baal-Ness is said "Mair Bahl-Nehss", and I don't see any ä sounds in your section, but ä is said "ei," like "hey". And I don't know if you have experience with the Hebrew "ch" but all the ch sounds in Yiddish are the same, a guttural h like you're clearing your throat. I can try to make a quick recording for you tonight of the sounds I'm describing, and the names in your sections, if you think that would be helpful! But again, I may be fallible myself, and a lot of the place names are Polish/Russian.
OMG That was very helpful! Thank you so much for that. I was about to orphan my chapters because I don't want to disrespect the cullture, and I had no luck online with my pronunciation searches. I will get to recording right away :clap: :D
Lola
MaraBella

Post by MaraBella »

I'm so glad it was helpful, Lola! Haha, if it weren't for Röfeh and Mädel I would have spent a lifetime trying to google-decipher these myself. And like I said, I may still be wrong! I've been learning standardized Yiddish but there's different dialects, and Peretz presumably spoke Lithuanian Yiddish because he was based in Vilna... but I think anyone listening to these stories will just be happy we're making them more widely available. :) I know for me as a Jewish person, being exposed to some English-translated Yiddish culture and literature is what piqued my interest in learning Yiddish, rather than having any idea how much of my own culture I was missing out on beforehand!
- Mara

Pinklady77

Post by Pinklady77 »

Lola
Stacy

Post by Stacy »

Hi,

I would be happy to claim section 6!

Please let me know if it is ok.

James Stacy
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Pinklady77 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 12:20 am Hello

Also. I need pronunciation help because when I Google some of the names and words I'm not.getting any good help. I'm referring to my current sections already claimed.

Lola
Hey, Lola! No all the Hannah Letters do not need to be read by the same person. I have put you down as claiming sections 46 and 47. Sorry for such a long wait to respond - I have been super busy with school and don't have a lot of time for LibriVox.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Stacy wrote: October 24th, 2019, 10:20 pm Hi,

I would be happy to claim section 6!

Please let me know if it is ok.

James Stacy
All yours!
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Pinklady77

Post by Pinklady77 »

elsieselwyn wrote: October 28th, 2019, 1:08 pm
Pinklady77 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 12:20 am Hello

Lola
Hey, Lola! No all the Hannah Letters do not need to be read by the same person. I have put you down as claiming sections 46 and 47. Sorry for such a long wait to respond - I have been super busy with school and don't have a lot of time for LibriVox.
Ok thank you
Lola
ZeliaSsah

Post by ZeliaSsah »

I'd like part 57 please! :D
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Great readings Lola!

Both are PL OK

Lynda
Stacy

Post by Stacy »

Hello,

Here is my contribution. Section 6 of Stories and Pictures, "The Seventh Candle of Blessing".

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_06_peretz_128kb.mp3

It was an interesting read. There are some words I am unsure how to pronounce. Bashe, Mamishe, Tatishe, and Chaimle. I couldn't find them on the web so I did my best.

Please let me know if it passes muster or if I need to redo.

James Stacy