Selling custom Librivox recordings on DVDs

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Anonyme

Post by Anonyme »

I'm starting a project in which I sell DVDs with Librivox recordings on them, but with a small twist! The customer gets to choose which Librivox recording they want on the DVD!
I have everything I need but I'm hesitant to start as I'm not sure if there is a need for audio CDs/DVDs anymore.

Anyway, here's the process:
The customer chooses a *project from Librivox and I'll burn the full project onto a 4.7GB DVD-R and send it in a Jewel case with a front and back cover.
*(example of a project: https://librivox.org/treasure-island-by-robert-louis-stevenson)

I'm also planning to donate to Librivox for each DVD that is purchased.

Here are some questions that I'd like to ask:
1. Is there a need for Librivox recordings on audio CDs/DVDs?
2. What price would be suitable for one project on one DVD?

Thank you for reading this post. Any feedback is appreciated!
"Le monde est un livre dont chaque pas nous ouvre une page."
- Alphonse de Lamartine

https://github.com/An0n3m0us
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Librivox's goal is to provide everyone with access to free, public domain audiobooks. We do not sell our audiobooks, and our goal is to make them completely free.

I'm not sure about the demand for CD's/DVD's. Today's age is all about Apps, the internet, and everything that is online or can be used with a smart device. At this point, I'm not sure I know someone with a CD or DVD player except for me :D There are a lot of them out there, but I'm not sure that the younger generation is going to use them. Maybe in the car?

That is a thoughtful idea of donating part of the sales the librivox, but again, we aim to make all public domain works available for free here on librivox.

Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Our recordings are public domain, which means that anyone can do anything with them - including burning them onto discs and selling them.

Is there a market? Probably, but not a big one. Check out eBay for people selling our audiobooks on disc - that might give you an idea as to price, too.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Anonyme

Post by Anonyme »

Thank you for the feedback!

My idea was for car journeys and/or offline storage, but people can simply use devices which is much more convenient than buying bunch of CDs.

It seems like the market is small; I found a handful sold on eBay and Amazon by popular sellers.
"Le monde est un livre dont chaque pas nous ouvre une page."
- Alphonse de Lamartine

https://github.com/An0n3m0us