Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I just saw the A to Zed Collection cover art by annise. What a clever idea! Thank you!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you missed it, have a look at this viewtopic.php?p=1626727#p1626727 :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lovely, lovely cover made by AbbyJay for the Flowers of Shakespeare project. Many thanks to you!
AbbyJay

Post by AbbyJay »

KevinS wrote: October 28th, 2019, 2:13 pm Lovely, lovely cover made by AbbyJay for the Flowers of Shakespeare project. Many thanks to you!
You’re welcome!! And thank you! I listened to a few sections of it; what a fun book. :D
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phil. 4:8
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

My brain is exploding from the first-time-through attempt to make a cover I've been working on for the last three hours, and trying to follow the trail of instructions/tutorials/files.

I've finally got a cover image worked up, and I need to name my files as I'm resizing for all of them. But right now I need super easy, idiot-proof info:

The mmyy part of the file name - am I assuming correctly that this is supposed to refer to the time the project is released to the catalog? So my project that got cataloged today would have images named dreamcoach_1019.jpg and so forth?

:help:

~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's actually when you made the cover - so 1910 or 1911 depending on when you finish. It's yymm :D
It's just a further identification of the files, in case they get detached from their project and we need to find them.

Anne
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

annise wrote: October 30th, 2019, 3:08 pm It's actually when you made the cover - so 1910 or 1911 depending on when you finish. It's yymm :D
It's just a further identification of the files, in case they get detached from their project and we need to find them.

Anne
Haha!! Thanks for reminding the year is first - I told you my brain was exploding. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
AbbyJay

Post by AbbyJay »

Are the images in books scanned in at hathitrust considered public domain? Can I copy images from the digital book there and use them?

I’m looking at Uncle Wiggily on the Farm and it has some nice color images I would like to use.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951d01736899h&view=1up&seq=15
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phil. 4:8
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

As long as it says the book is public domain it's OK to use the images - they are really good quality scans :D

Anne
johng

Post by johng »

Dear Covermakers!!,
I have never known WHO to thank for all the WONDERFUL, thoughtful and interesting covers for the Mark Twain recordings I've made through the years...but it MUST be several people who read this thread!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!
So MUCH!!!!!

I have a suggestion for a cover for MT's travel letters....
It comes from the work of Dan Beard and Harold R. Heaton (not sure which) for the Chicago Sunday Tribune of November 8, 1891.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x998c6kupep57um/1-Nov.%208%2C1891.pdf?dl=0

It's called "Mark Twain on his Travels" and is a two-column illustration in the lower-left corner of the page.

I think it perfectly captures Samuel Clemens' philosophy of standing up to and exposing injustice and artifice, around the world!

just a thought!
:-)
-j
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

As no one else leapt in , I'll try.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My thanks go to msfry for the wonderful cover for A Century of Negro Migration. The photo used is perfect!
johng

Post by johng »

annise wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm As no one else leapt in , I'll try.

Anne
Thanks Anne!!!!
Your cover for Mark Twain’s Travel Letters of 1891-92 is Spot On! It clearly reflects Twain’s lifelong impatience with and rejection of autocracy, hypocrisy and, and, and...
:-)
-j
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: November 11th, 2019, 7:14 am My thanks go to msfry for the wonderful cover for A Century of Negro Migration. The photo used is perfect!
My pleasure. This was a very interesting project.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

pexels.com has PD / copyright free images, no attribution required and commercial use OK. Is that site OK to use? Specifically, I'm looking at this photo: https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-pathway-surrounded-by-fir-trees-1578750/

If it's OK, I'm trying to figure out how to word the attribution on the cover. Is this wording accurate (specifically, the "copyright free" sentence)?

Cover picture by James Wheeler, "Photo of Pathway Surrounded By Fir Trees" on Pexels.com. Copyright free in U.S., Canada, E.U., and all countries with author’s life +70 yrs laws. Cover design by TriciaG. This design is in the public domain.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart