COMPLETE: Oscar Wilde: The Complete Interviews - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Oscar Wilde: The Complete Interviews.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/oscar-wilde-the-complete-interviews-by-various/

This complete collection of Oscar Wilde’s English language interviews gives listeners the opportunity to hear one of history’s greatest conversationalists in full flow. Newspaper interviewers repeatedly sought Wilde out for his “Oscarisms” – his trademark witty phrases – as well as his views on topics ranging from poetry to politics, and acting to architecture.

The ordering of the interviews is chronological according to when they were given rather than publication date. Wilde’s few interviews in French and Italian are excluded. For the non-English language interviews, other articles of interest, burlesque interviews, interviews given about Wilde by his contemporaries, and notes, see the print version of Oscar Wilde: The Complete Interviews. (Rob Marland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): I will read around 120 newspaper articles from their original sources. I have made a Google spreadsheet including links to all sources, and will provide a link to the MC and DPL (or anyone considering taking on these roles).
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: America, oscar wilde, USA, Canada, interview

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "[Title of Work] by [Author Name] from [Publication Name], [day, month, year]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the section, say: "End of [Title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "[Title of Work] by [Author Name] from [Publication Name], [day, month, year]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of section"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
      • Example filename wildeints_YYYYMMDD_abbreviatednewspapertitle_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wildeints_18820103_nytimes_128kb.mp3)
      • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
        Artist: Oscar Wilde
        Title: ## - [Section title]
        Album: Oscar Wilde: North American Interviews, 1882-1883

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
        Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by RobMarland on April 13th, 2022, 7:05 am, edited 24 times in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

——-
Last edited by RobMarland on May 23rd, 2022, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Rob,
Sounds like quite an ambitious project. Before I volunteer to MC and set this up in the database, I would like to have a look at your list of sources (just to confirm everything is PD for LV). Meanwhile if you go forward with this, the instructions for entering author and source in the section compiler metadata for collections is in the BC instructions google doc here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit#heading=h.nv65nikjuv27

or the LV wiki here:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Special_Instructions_for_Collections_.E2.80.93_Entering_Section_Metadata

Jo
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I would like to consider serving as DPL. My vision just can't handle unclear texts at this time, however, so if the sources are poorly scanned, I must bow out. If the standard really is 'standard' reading, then this will make the job more attractive. I would want to confirm this.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

——-
Last edited by RobMarland on May 23rd, 2022, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RobMarland wrote: October 30th, 2019, 10:58 am Jo and Kevin: I will send you the link to the spreadsheet of sources via private message.

Kevin: if you are able to listen and find any accidentally repeated phrases / bad edits etc, that would be great. Standard PL doesn't require you to read along while listening, as far as I understand it, and that is fine by me. The quality of the scans is variable: always legible (at least for me), but not always high resolution. So please feel free to do a mix of reading along and not, or whatever works for you.
I'll be happy to DPL so long as I am not expected to read along with the texts. (Were any of them included in later published books? I could manage that.)

Regardless, I'm happy to help at the 'standard' reading level.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

——-
Last edited by RobMarland on May 23rd, 2022, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

OK I have set this up for you. In order for the files to sort properly, you will need to use the section number in the filename instead of the date as I have suggested in the top post. In order to keep the filenames as short as possible, I would also suggest abbreviating the newspaper names as much as possible. I also edited your suggested intro a little and added the shortened form for files after the first. At the end of each section, you can use what I have suggested or just say end of section. Happy to discuss options for the above further if you strongly disagree.

I've looked through your list of sources, and it all looks OK as long as you make sure you are reading from the original newspaper scans and not text reproduced elsewhere.
Jo
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

——-
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Rob. You can use the dates if you prefer, but as for choosing the order, while that may be true for the catalog page at LibriVox, on the archive.org page for the finished project, the files will always sort in alphabetical order by filename.
Jo
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

——-
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

——-
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Rob,
Go ahead and use the file naming with the publication dates as you originally proposed and let's see where we end up in terms of order. If there are one or two that need to be tweaked at the end, we can figure out a workaround. Changing filenames and uploading all the files twice would be a lot of extra work. We need the filenames in the section compiler to match the uploaded filenames so the files can be imported batchwise into the validation system for upload to archive.

Jo
Jo
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

——-
Last edited by RobMarland on May 23rd, 2022, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

RobMarland wrote: November 1st, 2019, 3:37 pm
knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 1st, 2019, 8:34 am We need the filenames in the section compiler to match the uploaded filenames so the files can be imported batchwise into the validation system for upload to archive.
Absolutely, that’s why I was thinking of re-uploading at the end with the titles in the ID3 tags changed but keeping the actual filenames the same. Just because it seemed to be the titles rather than the filenames influencing the Archive order in that collection I mentioned.

Well, OK, I will start recording and see where we end up.
The titles in the ID3 tags on the cataloged files will be whatever is in the title field in the MW at the time of cataloging. Any tags on the files when initially submitted will be overwritten during the validation step.
Jo