[COMPLETE][HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY]World's Story 9: England - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DanielHurt wrote: October 28th, 2019, 5:06 pmGood afternoon. I would like to do Chapter 58 for "World's Story 9: England" if it is still available.
I took the liberty of pre-recording a copy of the appropriate section, but it may need some work.
(https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/England58_1EDITED.mp3).
Hello Daniel and welcome to the forum and to this project :D

Thank you already for this recorded section, but unfortunately, the technical settings are not quite correct yet. That's why we ask new volunteers to first complete a one-minute-test but you jumped the gun a bit by recording immediately. Usually the procedure is to claim first and wait for confirmation. It's also a precaution to prevent more readers from recording the same section, since only one can get taken.

For the technical settings, please change the following:

> the volume is outside our accepted range (86-92 dB) yours is over 95 dB. Please decrease volume with -5 dB, to get into a good average of about 89 dB
> the sample rate is wrong, it needs to be 41,000 Hz (yours is 16,000)
> the bitrate is variable but needs to be 128 kbps constant, this will get changed while exporting to mp3

If you need help with these settings, please don't hesitate to ask. Are you using Audacity as program ?

Well I listened to your section now, since you recorded it, so we can treat this as your one-minute-test for now.

All in all the narration is very well done and nearly word perfect, easy to understand and agreeable to listen to. So good job there. :thumbs: But before I can mark it ok, you need to correct a few things. Now there is no need to re-record the entire section ! This is too much work and time consuming for you as reader and for me as prooflistener, since I then need to re-check it all again. There is only one single part of a sentence that needs to be re-recorded, the rest is only cutting jobs. Only Spot-edit/correct the few notes I will mention here below:

> at 0:03: "by Eva March Tappan" - this can be cut here. You can see the standardized Intro disclaimer in the first post

> at 0:42: "originally published" - these two words should get cut out, we never add or edit anything in the text. Also this statement here would be wrong because the date 1470 is the date the king returned from Holland, not the date that Bulwer-Lytton (who lived in the 19th century) published it ;)

> at 1:14: "note from the editor" - also here, only say "the editor" without "note from"

> at 2:30: (p. 425) "and though well built and fair proportioned" - you say "fairly" which changes the meaning here and doesn't sound as positive ;)

> at 11:44: (p. 429) after "leaves it but for the grave" I hear a sort of throat clearing, which maybe could get cut out

> at 12:43: (p. 430) after "king of England" - another throat clearing which can get cut

> at 14:31: after the end disclaimer please always add the standard 5 seconds of silence, so the recording doesn't end too abruptly, so could you add 4 more seconds here please

> and finally, please use the correct file naming convention, which you will always see in the first post as example, here worldstory_volume09_58_tappan_128kb

Then please tell me what reader name you would like to be credited with, your real name or your forum name or any other pseudonym. Then I can open your personal reader page for you. :)

Thank you

Sonia
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 53, please.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KevinS wrote: October 29th, 2019, 9:08 am Section 53, please.
you got it Kevin. Thanks for taking part in this book as well :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 11:00 pm Here's section 7, with Trollope's dry wit well to the fore. A lot of fun to read.
:lol: indeed, this section was very funny and narrated sort of tongue-in-cheek. Very well done, capturing the mood of the author's wit. :thumbs:

Nearly word-perfect, but I found one small error which would profit from correcting:

> at 11:44: (p. 34) "he allows but a dozen lines for recording this winter" - I hear "hues" :hmm: which doesn't make any sense. It probably happened because you read from the OCR mess. I always use the scanned original, it's really easy to read from and you can be sure there are no typos ;)

thanks

Sonia
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Kitty wrote: October 29th, 2019, 9:40 am
Jmbau13 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 11:00 pm Here's section 7, with Trollope's dry wit well to the fore. A lot of fun to read.
:lol: indeed, this section was very funny and narrated sort of tongue-in-cheek. Very well done, capturing the mood of the author's wit. :thumbs:

Nearly word-perfect, but I found one small error which would profit from correcting:

> at 11:44: (p. 34) "he allows but a dozen lines for recording this winter" - I hear "hues" :hmm: which doesn't make any sense. It probably happened because you read from the OCR mess. I always use the scanned original, it's really easy to read from and you can be sure there are no typos ;)

thanks

Sonia
Oops, yes it didn't make sense. Good catch. And yes, that's where it came from, I have learned my lesson there.
Now 25.41 m
Fixed and re-uploaded.
regards
Jane Bennett
swalkerl

Post by swalkerl »

Hello,

can I claim sections 28, 29 & 30, please?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KevinS wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:58 pm Section 53
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_53_tappan_128kb.mp3
Now that's a dinner party!
indeed :lol: I am amazed they got so many people inside a hall (even some on horseback :shock: ) excellent job, Kevin, thank you so much. Straightaway PL ok.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 6:45 pm Fixed and re-uploaded.
thank you, now perfectly PL ok :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

swalkerl wrote: October 29th, 2019, 9:46 pm can I claim sections 28, 29 & 30, please?
hello again :D I remember you've read for a previous book in this series ! Glad to have you back now after a hiatus. I can assign you these three sections, hope you're having fun.

and thank you

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Wow Sonia,
I am editing my audio for section 05 & it is amazing how the shorter title seems as though there are missing words. :lol: Loving it though.
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: October 30th, 2019, 9:18 am I am editing my audio for section 05 & it is amazing how the shorter title seems as though there are missing words. :lol: Loving it though.
:lol: I have the same feeling each time I listen to this title

Sonia
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Here is section 10, where the horrible get their just desserts.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_10_tappan_128kb.mp3

26m 49
regards
Jane Bennett
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 30th, 2019, 6:15 pm Here is section 10, where the horrible get their just desserts.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_10_tappan_128kb.mp3
wow now this was a really cool story and yes, the ending was quite deserved, especially for this awful Faustina ! The villa was wonderfully described and I remembered a Roman villa I visited on the South Coast of England which really could have stood role model for it. :9: Nice memories.

Thank you, Jane, this is perfectly PL ok :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here are two short sections from me. As in previous projects, Jim has again offered to PL my sections. Thanks again, Jim :) no hurry of course !

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_01_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:00 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_02_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:54 min.

Sonia