[MEMOIR] Summer on the Lakes, in 1843 by Margaret Fuller - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ShannonGale

Post by ShannonGale »

Greetings! I would like to read Section 4 or any of the subsequent sections. I am new to LibriVox but have completed all of my testing and am ready to go. I am diligent with deadlines and committed to quality. If selected, I can be listed as ShannonGale. Thank you for your consideration.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ShannonGale wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 3:22 pm Greetings! I would like to read Section 4 or any of the subsequent sections. I am new to LibriVox but have completed all of my testing and am ready to go. I am diligent with deadlines and committed to quality. If selected, I can be listed as ShannonGale. Thank you for your consideration.
Welcome!

I listened to your one-minute test and you are all set to go. I will add your name to the system and assigned Chapter 4 to you.

Thank you so much for joining us.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Here is chapter 3 (46:16):

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/summeronthelakesin1843_03_fuller_128kb.mp3

I just recently completed a biography of Margaret Fuller as a solo project, so this really appealed to me!

That said, I'd like to claim chapter 7, please.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Ciufi wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 5:33 pm Here is chapter 3 (46:16):

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/summeronthelakesin1843_03_fuller_128kb.mp3

I just recently completed a biography of Margaret Fuller as a solo project, so this really appealed to me!

Thank you. And thank you!

Ch. 7 is yours!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

KevinS wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:05 pm Betsy, would you mind PLing J.s part?

You won't need access to the MW, but if you would just say whether or not I've gotten it right, please.
Sure - but how do I access it?

B
Betsy in Santa Fe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BetsyWalker wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:23 am
KevinS wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:05 pm Betsy, would you mind PLing J.s part?

You won't need access to the MW, but if you would just say whether or not I've gotten it right, please.
Sure - but how do I access it?

B
Hahah! I'm so dense.

Is there a listen button there to the right on the same line as j.s section? If there is, you can click it and the file plays. If there isn't a 'listen' then I will send you a link to a copy of the file in my Google Drive.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll claim section 9 - S's part.

And here it is.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/summeronthelakesin1843_09_fuller_128kb.mp3
0:29

It makes no sense to me. :lol: I hope my expression is OK (emphasis on the correct words and all that).
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: October 25th, 2019, 12:25 pm I'll claim section 9 - S's part.

And here it is.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/summeronthelakesin1843_09_fuller_128kb.mp3
0:29

It makes no sense to me. :lol: I hope my expression is OK (emphasis on the correct words and all that).
Ready for Broadway! Can you sing, too! Have I got a role for you!

And many thanks to you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sing - sure. But I can't dance for anything. LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

KevinS wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:34 am Hahah! I'm so dense.

Is there a listen button there to the right on the same line as j.s section? If there is, you can click it and the file plays. If there isn't a 'listen' then I will send you a link to a copy of the file in my Google Drive.
Oh, sorry! I didn't scroll down. Yes, I found the link. Great reading! I have just a couple of concerns. I've always understood that in DRs there should be a 3 second pause between each spoken part. You did that perfectly at first, but about 1 minute into your recording most of the breaks shorten to 2 seconds. Don't know how important that is. In the part that starts at 1:59, you said "when" instead of "where" in the 2nd sentence. Not sure that needs correction. But I do feel that there is too long of a pause at the comma between "smoothly" and "everything" in that same sentence.

Small details - mostly timing of pauses. Otherwise? Terrific! :clap: :clap:

I hope to find the time to record my part and the rest of the chapter tomorrow. Fingers crossed! This will be the longest reading I've done so far.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BetsyWalker wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:22 am
KevinS wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:34 am Hahah! I'm so dense.

Oh, sorry! I didn't scroll down. Yes, I found the link. Great reading! I have just a couple of concerns. I've always understood that in DRs there should be a 3 second pause between each spoken part. You did that perfectly at first, but about 1 minute into your recording most of the breaks shorten to 2 seconds. Don't know how important that is. In the part that starts at 1:59, you said "when" instead of "where" in the 2nd sentence. Not sure that needs correction. But I do feel that there is too long of a pause at the comma between "smoothly" and "everything" in that same sentence.

Small details - mostly timing of pauses. Otherwise? Terrific! :clap: :clap:

I hope to find the time to record my part and the rest of the chapter tomorrow. Fingers crossed! This will be the longest reading I've done so far.

Betsy
Thank you for the PL. As I am doing the editing, I'm not too worried about the length of pauses, though 3 seconds does make things easier. And I will shorten the pause that you mention that is in the planned final recording. I will fix 'when' and 'where.' (I don't know how the mind and eye work sometimes. That is, don't work!)

As for your reading, you'll do a great job, I know it!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

KevinS wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:41 am Thank you for the PL. As I am doing the editing, I'm not too worried about the length of pauses, though 3 seconds does make things easier. And I will shorten the pause that you mention that is in the planned final recording. I will fix 'when' and 'where.' (I don't know how the mind and eye work sometimes. That is, don't work!)

Shortening/lengthening pauses is no hassle, but I have not gotten good at inserting a word or phrase as needed. I'm really refining my skills for deleting a single word or phrase, but adding one in is a challenge for me. I have to just redo the whole sentence. It actually takes me less time than trying to insert a word and make it actually sound right.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BetsyWalker wrote: October 26th, 2019, 2:19 pm
KevinS wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:41 am Thank you for the PL. As I am doing the editing, I'm not too worried about the length of pauses, though 3 seconds does make things easier. And I will shorten the pause that you mention that is in the planned final recording. I will fix 'when' and 'where.' (I don't know how the mind and eye work sometimes. That is, don't work!)

Shortening/lengthening pauses is no hassle, but I have not gotten good at inserting a word or phrase as needed. I'm really refining my skills for deleting a single word or phrase, but adding one in is a challenge for me. I have to just redo the whole sentence. It actually takes me less time than trying to insert a word and make it actually sound right.

Betsy
There are certain secrets to editing that I am learning, even using the fix effect. (The fix effect is done like microsurgery! I've used it maybe twice.) Sometimes there is nothing to do but re-record a whole sentence, and even that doesn't always sound right. AUUUGHH.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

PL OK :clap:
~Rosebud
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RSlabaugh wrote: October 26th, 2019, 2:35 pm

PL OK :clap:
Thank you, Rosebud. I always feel better knowing you're on the team!