In Honour of the 14th Anniversary of LV, plz proofread and make ebooks on PG written by fourteen different writers?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

ej400 wrote:
"The siteadmins aren't always online. We're all volunteers here and sometimes things take a little bit of time to reply too. :D <smile">

So, my request is this: I ask you, again, that a siteadmin post my proposal to the LV blog. Before the month of October passes. PLEASE! The reason I am insisting on my proposal post be put on the LV blog is that the month of October happens to be Meet The Blind Month. And, as for October 15, that day is designated as White Cane Safety Day. You can find more information about those two topics through the links below:

https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month

https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/courtesy-rules-blindness
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-white-cane-program
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Another question, or, should I say, scenario, to ponder:
Why should blind people be denied of participating in many LV song collections, such as a Christmas Carol Collection or Opera collections? If the carol or opera is available as an accurate, accessible ebook on PG, I and other blind people can simultaneously read lyrics and sing the songs they want to sing. Why should blind people be treated, nay, trapped inside the cage of inequality and ignorance? Why should we be frowned upon? Please stop denying us the access for ALL, A.L.L., ebooks. Please type ALL book pictures on the Internet Archive into real computer characters, as Michael Hart has said on the post "ebooks vs. digital picture books".
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes Rita, it would be nice and it will happen one day for most books and maybe one day there will be a way to have an artificial eye that works, I'm not aware of the way blind musicians read music but I'm sure getting sound from music scores will also happen one day. But it will not happen overnight, the world changes one step at a time and not always for the better. So we aren't disagreeing with you , just saying that even if we all stopped LV and rushed to make 14 books into text, it would take a long time. With any big job, especially volunteers, you need to offer them chances to take on something that they can see a result. Ask me to replace all the world's cleared forests and I despair. ask me to plant 10 trees in the local creek bank and I will.

If there is anything that you can't access at LV that someone would be able to help you with, just say and we will do what we can.

Anne
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

annise wrote:
If there is anything that you can't access at LV that someone would be able to help you with, just say and we will do what we can.

That's all? Really? No, I think that's a mistake.
I here asked siteadmins over and over, and annise, I read that you are one of the LV admins. Then, when will my proposal posted on the LV blog? Please give me a specific date and the URL of the blog post if you finish uploading my message, and please don't ignore my request.
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Anne, Elegant post. Thanks.
Peace, David
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I too am only a volunteer, with limited time and resources to use even with LV. I only PL, because I can download to my phone and listen with earbuds as I work, but working for PG would mean sitting at the computer for everything...
While I suspect I could enjoy working with PG, practically speaking it’d go quite a long time for me to learn what I need to know and then get done even one section of a book. Fluency comes with experience. My thought is, if they have people already volunteering there who have learned the ropes, those people are the ones who will be most efficient in getting your project done. So why not get into their forum, Eunah, and give them the titles you’d like done?
~Rosebud
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

rita1075,

I agree that your request is valid, but it is in the wrong place. I don't ask my barber to change the oil in my car and I don't ask my auto mechanic to cut my hair. Some Librivox volunteers do also contribute time to Project Gutenberg (PG). If there are any more Librivox volunteers that would like to contribute to the PG please see the links below.

Please register over on Project Gutenberg (PG) and post in that forum. PG has taken on the mission of creating ebooks while Librivox hs taken on the mission audiobooks.

PG Blog: https://blog.pgdp.net/
PG Registration: https://www.pgdp.net/c/accounts/addproofer.php
PG Forum Book Suggestion Thread (Books I'd like to see in PG - 2019 ): https://www.pgdp.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66222

David O
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

No, I don't bend! I cannot, and will not, delete my request for transcribing, proofreading and uploading ebooks to Project Gutenberg.
Among the replies, some people have said that recording audiobooks or prooflistening audio files is an easier task than proofreading ebooks for PG. Then, how about this suggestion? Fifteen, or twenty LV volunteers, could produce an ebook for William Butler Yeats' masterpiece named "Michael Robartes And The Dancer". Coincidentally, that book was published in 1921, and we got only about two years left until the year of 2021 comes. That year is a significant and meaningful year in many aspects. I will list fifteen reasons why LV volunteers should choose to join PGDP and produce an ebook of Michael Robartes And The Dancer for Project Gutenberg.
Reason 01. 2021 is the 50th anniversary of the founding of Project Gutenberg.
Reason 02: 2021 is also the 10th anniversary of Michael Hart's death. As you know, Michael Hart was the creator of Project Gutenberg.
Reason 03: The book, Michael Robartes and The Dancer, contains only fifteen poems. Compared to The Works of William Shakespeare, Cambridge Edition, Volume Nine, which spans over 670 pages, Michael Robartes And The Dancer contains only fifteen poems.
Reason 04: 2021 is also the tenth anniversary of the massacre in Norway, which happened on the month of July in 2011.
Reason 05: 2021 is also the twentieth anniversary of The September 11 Attacks that occured in the U.S.
Reason 06: Richard Dawkins uses the phrase "A Prayer For My Daughter" in a chapter of his book A Devil's Chaplain. The book which contain this poem by Yeats is Michael Robartes And The Dancer.
Reason 07: Michael Robartes And The Dancer contains other well-known poems by Yeats, including Easter, 1916, On a Political Prisoner, The Second Coming, etc.
Reason 08: The only public domain poetical compilations by William Butler Yeats where you can find the poem The Second Coming is Michael Robartes And The Dancer, which was published in 1921. If a student majoring in Irish literature wants to understand the concept of Gyre, which is frequently used by Yeats, s/he doesn't have any choice but to read Michael Robartes And The Dancer.
Reason 09: 2021 is the one hundredth anniversary of the publication of the aforementioned book.
Reason 10: By 2035, US LibriVox volunteers can legally record all of Yeats' published works before his death in 1939. That's because, according to the current US copyright law, Yeats' poems collection, The Tower that got published in 1928, will be free of copyright in the US in 2024, and by 2036, Yeats' last poems collection entitled The Last Poems, becomes free of copyright in 2035.
Reason 11: Yeats was a famous Irish poet, yet few Koreans read or heard of Yeats' later poems which became famous around Europe, e.g. Sailing to Byzantium, Nineteen Hundred And Nineteen, etc.
Reason 12: It is perfectly legal to type and upload Michael Robartes And The Dancer on Project Gutenberg, which is hosted by a US server.
Reason 13: according to my googling and some research through The Online Books Page about copyright laws around Europe, people who live in many European countries including the UK, Ireland, Spain, and so on, are also free to produce an ebook version of Michael Robartes And The Dancer.
Reason 14: Many poems contained in the book, Michael Robartes And The Dancer, are available as audio recodings, but even as of now, no ebook was produced for the Project Gutenberg in the US.
Reason 15: Yeats is so famous, and he has written many treasured and beloved poems that needs to be known even better throughout the whole world. It is such a shame that we cannot access this valuable poem compilation in the twenty-first century.

If siteadmins cannot accept my initial proposal of reposting my cry for help on the LV blog, I ask you, time and again, PLEASE, PLEASE, at least, post this proposal about transcribing Michael Robartes And The Dancer by William Butler Yeats on the LV blog before the end of October has passed. The month of October is Meet The Blind Month, and I ask all LV admins to hurry reposting this request on the LV blog. We have only eight days left before the month of October ends. PLEASE!
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

If you really want it posted, could you write a short paragraph that an admin could copy and paste to the blog? Most of your posts on this thread are entirely too long for the purpose, and the nature of the post would need to be more mildly stated in order to attract serious notice. There again, I don’t know blog rules, so it may not be an option even then since it hasn’t anything to do with LV.

And a question: If the books were to be done in that format, is there any way my blind friends could assist in proof reading, or is sight a requirement?
~Rosebud
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

RSlabaugh wrote:

"And a question: If the books were to be done in that format, is there any way my blind friends could assist in proof reading, or is sight a requirement?"

To proofread and correct all the messy, raw OCR-ed text on the Internet Archive, a good eyesight, fluency on multiple languages and learning all the PG and the PGDP rules are requirements. Your blind friends could help prooflisten LV audio files before they are made available on the LV catalog. And, I post this, again and again, that
if a book is available as high-quality, clean, proofread plain text(txt) and HTML format on Project Gutenberg, they can record a book they want to read to the whole world. That's what I did a few months ago. Even though I am totally blind and not being able to function without braille, I could record and contribute John Donne's Holy Sonnet 014 to the LibriVox 14th Anniversary Collection.
Sincerely,
Eunah Choi
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

RSlabaugh wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 9:00 pm
And a question: If the books were to be done in that format, is there any way my blind friends could assist in proof reading, or is sight a requirement?
I am not sure if someone with vision difficulty or blindness could participate in the initial proofreading at PG. The way PG proofreading is set up you compare to separate sub windows simultaneously (the scan image and the text).

PG does have a smoothreading task that always needs volunteers. That is just going through the final text without comparison to the original scan; this could possibly be done by converting that text to computer generated audio. Ask over on the PG website and someone there may be able to give you a more detailed answer.

David O
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

"If you really want it posted, could you write a short paragraph that an admin could copy and paste
to the blog? Most of your posts on this thread are entirely too long for the purpose, and the nature
of the post would need to be more mildly stated in order to attract serious notice."
Mildly stated? My heart, my gut, my whole body boils and I want to scream whenever I get to be confronted with inaccessible ebooks or websites. I already gave you many links for magazine articles, blog posts and pamphlets about the difficulties of living as a blind person, and the need for expanded availability of braille and electronic braille books. Please read those articles, pamphlets and blog posts in their entirety.
And I tried to write the post about Yeats poems collection transcription request as shortly and organized as possible. So, I ask again, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! repost my proposal about Yeats poems collection transcription request before October 31st.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
schrm

Post by schrm »

rita, please don't get me wrong: i adore your energy and persistence (i think it is called in english) and i do feel the importance in your suggestions.
and while i do think, that a short advertising text that near to librivox topics is possible - that said, i am not an admin, and i'm not a lawyer who will probably warn to link to other sites without any preparations or paragraphs needed to exclude any waranty or responsiility for contents linked to, and so on (we link to pg texts, certain texts at least).

but as a volunteer, i found a hobby in recording for librivox. i do that for a year now, or so..
it is a quite rare hobby, it is interesting, it is using audacity and using my voice, talking... something which i maybe can, are able to, is fascinating me.
and i do have a more or less contrary experience with something similar like pg: i translated a homepage with an online collaboration tool once - and i honestly didn't want to continue with that.
also, it is not something which i am perfect with (mistakes), i didn't enjoy it for long, it was even nerving...

another aspects, which is important for a small part of librivoxers: since pg had to close the access for germans because of legal conflicts, we try to find alternatives to realize audiobooks. we are not angry, or something. we just want to librivox,we look for alternatives, we read audiobooks all along and some of german speaking librivoxers cannot even access the pg webpage.

so, let's shorten this a little bit: we use pg texts, you want to use joined forces for both hobbies or topics, most of us want to do our hobby..
please, it is just like that: please, see us as sort of complementary - and not as something contradicting to your high priority proofreading and transcribing texts.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

rita1075 wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 11:24 pm RSlabaugh wrote:

"And a question: If the books were to be done in that format, is there any way my blind friends could assist in proof reading, or is sight a requirement?"

To proofread and correct all the messy, raw OCR-ed text on the Internet Archive, a good eyesight, fluency on multiple languages and learning all the PG and the PGDP rules are requirements. Your blind friends could help prooflisten LV audio files before they are made available on the LV catalog. And, I post this, again and again, that
if a book is available as high-quality, clean, proofread plain text(txt) and HTML format on Project Gutenberg, they can record a book they want to read to the whole world. That's what I did a few months ago. Even though I am totally blind and not being able to function without braille, I could record and contribute John Donne's Holy Sonnet 014 to the LibriVox 14th Anniversary Collection.
Sincerely,
Eunah Choi
Thank you for the explanation!

And thank you for recording for LV! If I get a chance, I’ll want to listen to it. :)
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

rita1075 wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 11:37 pm "If you really want it posted, could you write a short paragraph that an admin could copy and paste
to the blog? Most of your posts on this thread are entirely too long for the purpose, and the nature
of the post would need to be more mildly stated in order to attract serious notice."
Mildly stated? My heart, my gut, my whole body boils and I want to scream whenever I get to be confronted with inaccessible ebooks or websites. I already gave you many links for magazine articles, blog posts and pamphlets about the difficulties of living as a blind person, and the need for expanded availability of braille and electronic braille books. Please read those articles, pamphlets and blog posts in their entirety.
I’m sorry! Please forgive me for not understanding and for posting in such an unkind way! I’m sure if I were to lose my own sight, a lot of things would change priorities. If time and resources would allow, I would see about helping, but unfortunately they do not. Maybe some day...

Have a nice day!
~Rosebud