[Complete] The Lion's Brood by Duffield Osborne - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The Lion's Brood by Duffield Osborne (1858 - 1917).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-lions-brood-by-duffield-osborne/
"Centuries come and go; but the plot of the drama is unchanged, and the same characters play the same parts. Only the actors cast for them are new." For this timeless tale, we are taken back to the Roman forum. With the backdrop of the Punic Wars, we follow the fortunes of Sergius, a young man going off to serve and who impresses his general; and Marcia, the young woman he leaves behind, whom he loves, but who refuses to commit to any attachment for him before he leaves.( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20219
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Duffield Osborne) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duffield_Osborne
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 29
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1904
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Lion's Brood. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Lion's Brood, by Duffield Osborne. [Section number and name]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [section number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Lion's Brood, by Duffield Osborne. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lionsbrood_##_osborne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lionsbrood_01_osborne_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Ooh I’m excited for this? Can I have sections 1-3 for a start? :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 8th, 2019, 5:58 pm Ooh I’m excited for this? Can I have sections 1-3 for a start? :D
You may
SigourneyReads13

Post by SigourneyReads13 »

This seems very interesting! Can I have sections 6 and 7? Also, this is my first project, so if possible I'd like to be listed as Sigourney B.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

SigourneyReads13 wrote: June 10th, 2019, 5:54 pm This seems very interesting! Can I have sections 6 and 7? Also, this is my first project, so if possible I'd like to be listed as Sigourney B.
Welcome to Librivox.
If you click on your name in the first post, you will be taken to your personal catalog page.
Please be sure to read the first post. All the information you need is there, but if you have questions, please ask.
SigourneyReads13

Post by SigourneyReads13 »

Lynnet wrote: June 11th, 2019, 9:26 am
SigourneyReads13 wrote: June 10th, 2019, 5:54 pm This seems very interesting! Can I have sections 6 and 7? Also, this is my first project, so if possible I'd like to be listed as Sigourney B.
Welcome to Librivox.
If you click on your name in the first post, you will be taken to your personal catalog page.
Please be sure to read the first post. All the information you need is there, but if you have questions, please ask.
Great, thanks so much!
kszatk2

Post by kszatk2 »

Hello! May I claim DPL?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

kszatk2 wrote: July 20th, 2019, 7:17 am Hello! May I claim DPL?
Thank you for volunteering.

Please be sure to read the guide for prooflisteners https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
The quiz at the end is very helpful.

Please note that as this is standard level, there is no need to read along with the text. You are just listening for stumbles and repeats, or extraneous noises that interfere with listening (the dog barking next door is louder then the reader's voice etc.).

I will add you to our list of prooflisteners and you will need to gain access to the Magic Window. I will post instructions for that separately.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo
kszatk2

Post by kszatk2 »

Lynnet wrote: July 20th, 2019, 9:57 am Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo
Thank you! This has been very helpful!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
kszatk2

Post by kszatk2 »

Lynnet wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:26 am Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
Chapter 1 PL OK!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

kszatk2 wrote: October 19th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Lynnet wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:26 am Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
Chapter 1 PL OK!
Thank you!
shashankjakhmola

Post by shashankjakhmola »

2,8,9,16,26,27 and 28
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

shashankjakhmola wrote: November 1st, 2019, 8:45 am 2,8,9,16,26,27 and 28
All yours