Listening to LibriVox audiobooks

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

RSlabaugh wrote: October 18th, 2019, 7:46 pm I had seen everything, but got impatient when it didn’t start playing immediately. So once again, my fault, and I’ve proven it does work if you give it time to download. :oops: My phone doesn’t have the best of service at home, and I’m lucky if I have 2 bars of LTE. So I’ll make that my excuse. 8-)
Ah, good to know! Yes, and that's why, if I expect I won't have good service wherever I'm going, I tend to download the book, rather than using the archive page. :)
schrm

Post by schrm »

driving in my car: listening to m3u
on the phone: 3rd party librivox-app
at home: vlc/laptop (again the m3u from archive.org)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I have no idea of what a 3mu is but will find out.
EDIT: m3u.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: October 19th, 2019, 1:26 pm I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I have no idea of what a 3mu is but will find out.
EDIT: m3u.
Here's an explanation. (And I still don't know what it is!)

https://www.lifewire.com/m3u-file-2621955
schrm

Post by schrm »

It is a Playlist File - something like our zip-files. using it i dont have to download/handle with several mp3, they are all packed into a single file.
....It is, what i found on most archive-pages of librivox-books.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

I am not a youngun so I only use the phone when I travel by plane or bus. In both situations, I download the book to the SD card of my phone, which has always a lot more space than the phone itself. I do as explained above, go to the LV page and download the files, who then play in order with no problem. I just checked and I still have in the SD card the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes that I listened to on my last trip.
Leni
=================
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I listen through the app on my Galaxy phone all the time while I'm doing any physical work.

LOVE it!

Greatest thing since sliced bread! So easy to use - always starts back at the right spot when I pull the app up, and simple to open the chapter box if I want to bump the reading back a bit after getting sucked out of the story by interruptions.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

LCaulkins wrote: October 24th, 2019, 8:05 pm I listen through the app on my Galaxy phone all the time while I'm doing any physical work.

LOVE it!

Greatest thing since sliced bread! So easy to use - always starts back at the right spot when I pull the app up, and simple to open the chapter box if I want to bump the reading back a bit after getting sucked out of the story by interruptions.
By the app, do you mean the one called LibriVox app?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

philchenevert wrote: October 24th, 2019, 8:15 pm
LCaulkins wrote: October 24th, 2019, 8:05 pm I listen through the app on my Galaxy phone all the time while I'm doing any physical work.

LOVE it!

By the app, do you mean the one called LibriVox app?
Yes. Let's see. . . It says it is LibriVox 9.5.0
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yes! I use the same app to listen to Librivox and it works fine. This is what I plan to recomment to students if they want to go the download route. After talking to several of them, apparently they prefer to stream though and just use the LV site.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

philchenevert wrote: October 25th, 2019, 4:53 am
Yes! I use the same app to listen to Librivox and it works fine. This is what I plan to recomment to students if they want to go the download route. After talking to several of them, apparently they prefer to stream though and just use the LV site.
That's another thing I like about using the app. I'm pretty sure I've only ever streamed through it, though it also provides the option of downloading.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yeah, Phil - I just looked in all my download files, and I have nothing there, though I've listened to dozens of books through the LibriVox app.

I never choose download; just click the play arrow. It must use cookies to keep my spot in a book, and my lists of favorites and recent, marked? (I'm not a computer technicalities guru.)
~Lynette * -
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I think most of us here who've responded prefer using the LV site. But I think that might be because your sample group is a bit skewed. :wink: All of us here are obviously already familiar with our forum, and probably the catalogue as well. I believe, from what I can remember of the comments I've seen elsewhere, particularly the facebook group called LibriVox Readers and Listeners (or something similar), that there are many, many people who do prefer the app. I'd hazard a guess that your average Joe or Jane is more likely to discover LibriVox there these days than on the website itself.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

mightyfelix wrote: October 25th, 2019, 6:28 pm
Yes, I think most of us here who've responded prefer using the LV site. But I think that might be because your sample group is a bit skewed. :wink: All of us here are obviously already familiar with our forum, and probably the catalogue as well. I believe, from what I can remember of the comments I've seen elsewhere, particularly the facebook group called LibriVox Readers and Listeners (or something similar), that there are many, many people who do prefer the app. I'd hazard a guess that your average Joe or Jane is more likely to discover LibriVox there these days than on the website itself.
Yep! I found out about LV when I found the app. Using that free resource for a long time led me to want to pay it back by volunteering, and that's when I went searching out the web site.
~Lynette * -
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

For the record, and for those it might help, this is what I do... (but of course I know all do not have iPhones!)
I open the browser on my phone, go to Librivox.org, select a book, click the RSS button. This opens the Apple Podcasts App and I click subscribe. Then, If I need to download I can, or just let it stream without downloading. The advantage of this over the Librivox App is I can listen to multiple books at the same time, and it saves my spot in every one of them. :9:

You know, listen to one with the kids, one with the husband, one with just the girls, one while driving, one at dinner, one while sweeping, cooking, vacuuming, while taking a bath... OK, TMI :wink: But doesn't anyone else multi-task books this way or is it just me?
April