Twisted Wave Help

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 »

i'm having trouble saving and sending the MP3 file from Twistedwave
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I use TW. What trouble are you having? Mac, iPad or iPhone?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 »

I am new to recording and twisted wave was recommended. I sent a test and Kitty recommended some changes, I was able to make the recording mono but have not been able to complete the following "So we need to amplify once again, this time with +17 to get to about 89 dB. And then definitely you need to do some noise-cleaning because you will have amplified the noise by 17 as well. :shock: The best thing is always to leave a few seconds of pure background noise at the end of the recording and not cut off abruptly after your final recorded word. That way you find a sample for the noise from which you can clean. I don't know "normalizing" would clean the noise accurately, but then again I don't know how twistedwave operates".
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Okay, you didn't tell me what platform you're on, so I'll assume you're recording on a Mac, and not a pad or phone. It would also help to know what mic you are using. First, it's best to raise your recording level by increasing the output from your mic, rather than using the software. Again, I don't know what mic you are using, so I can't give any specific direction on how you need to do it. Typically a USB mic of any make has a gain knob on it which you would just turn up. You want the peaks (loudest parts) of you recordings to be between -6 and -3 db in your TW recording window. If you are using an analog mic then you'd adjust using System Prefs > Sound > Input on your Mac. To adjust the overall volume of your recording using TwistedWave, use Effects > Amplify (or type F) and enter the amount you want to boost your volume.

There is no noise-clean function in TwistedWave as described by Kitty. You have a lot of hiss, and also a lot of echo. Your recording space needs to be deadened. You also sound pretty far from the mic. I'm guessing you are using the built-in mic in an iMac? It's going to be pretty tough getting a good recording that way. You're too far away and get too much fan noise.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 »

sjmarky , im using a Mac Pro 2015 model with a Blue Yeti mic. I will do as you suggested an resubmit my 1 minute test.