Is LibriVox Considered a 501C?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Justjslim

Post by Justjslim »

Hello-
I work for a company that encourages and tracks volunteer hours.
However to be tracked it must be considered a 501C. And then Librivox can be considered as a volunteer activity at my company and may be able to receive contributions I think.
I think this means non-profit? I am really not sure if that is right or not.
Does anyone know?
Thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No, we're not 501C. "LibriVox is not officially registered, so it has no legal status." https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Misc_Q%26As#Can_volunteering_be_credited.3F

Regarding contributions: our donations are taken through Archive.org, which IS a registered charity. If one makes a donation, one should specifically designate it as being for LibriVox. https://archive.org/donate/
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Justjslim wrote: October 14th, 2019, 10:53 am Hello-
I work for a company that encourages and tracks volunteer hours.
However to be tracked it must be considered a 501C. And then Librivox can be considered as a volunteer activity at my company and may be able to receive contributions I think.
I think this means non-profit? I am really not sure if that is right or not.
Does anyone know?
Thanks.
One might argue that you are volunteering for archive.org through your work with LibriVox.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Except Archive isn't our parent organization. They have a friendly relation with us; they give us server space and help us with our donation process. They have no oversight or responsibility for us, so I don't think that is a correct route to take.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: October 14th, 2019, 1:33 pm Except Archive isn't our parent organization. They have a friendly relation with us; they give us server space and help us with our donation process. They have no oversight or responsibility for us, so I don't think that is a correct route to take.
I'm assuming that designated gifts to LibriVox through Archive are not tax-deductible, so, yes, you're right. A company would want to claim tax credit for its gifts.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A response we give to those who query about monetary donations and donation matching:
Donations to Librivox are handled through the Internet Archive. The Internet Archive is a US 501c3 non-profit organization, tax ID number 94-3242767. Their address is 300 Funston Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94118. You can contact them at donations@archive.org.

Please be sure to designate your gift (and the match) for Librivox so that Internet Archive can correctly apply the gift to our project.
However, like I said, this would not apply to volunteer hours.
Justjslim

Post by Justjslim »

Ok thanks for the information.