[Complete] The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
smike

Post by smike »

So far, it hasn't been a feel good story anyway. :)

Will take me a bit to listen to all of it, am currently listening to 'The Testaments' (sequel to 'The Handmaid's Tale'). I just can't put it down. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
smike

Post by smike »

Ch 19: there's a repeat a
8:02 -- (she went on, lying...)

ch 20:PL OK.

Rest to follow.
Claudia

smike

Post by smike »

CH. 21: 30:40 -- wrong chapter number, otherwise fine.
Claudia

smike

Post by smike »

Ch 22 - 24 are PL OK. :thumbs:

Only two more hours to go. Kudos for your stamina at narrating the book. I don't remember another book that is so dull. Flat, interchangeable characters, and what with the constant switching between Christian names and surnames, I'm still having trouble to know who is who -- no character stands out, and I don't care about a single one of them! If I look at all the four and five star reviews, I guess I completely miss the point of this book. :mrgreen:
Claudia

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

smike wrote: October 13th, 2019, 11:43 am Ch 22 - 24 are PL OK. :thumbs:

Only two more hours to go. Kudos for your stamina at narrating the book. I don't remember another book that is so dull. Flat, interchangeable characters, and what with the constant switching between Christian names and surnames, I'm still having trouble to know who is who -- no character stands out, and I don't care about a single one of them! If I look at all the four and five star reviews, I guess I completely miss the point of this book. :mrgreen:
So you don’t care if someone dies? :lol:
smike

Post by smike »

Is Rachel going to die then? I've only just started ch 25. And, to be honest, no, I don't care. Although it would have been nice for her had she lived a little before dying. :D
Claudia

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

smike wrote: October 13th, 2019, 12:58 pm Is Rachel going to die then? I've only just started ch 25. And, to be honest, no, I don't care. Although it would have been nice for her had she lived a little before dying. :D
She does... but I think she was saved from a very dull (at best) life with Terence. The only character I cared for was Helen.
smike

Post by smike »

Well, there hasn't been much talk of Helen, so, to me,she remains pale and vague. Is she the one who left her children in London?
Claudia

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

smike wrote: October 13th, 2019, 1:18 pm Well, there hasn't been much talk of Helen, so, to me,she remains pale and vague. Is she the one who left her children in London?
Yes, the aunt. I kind of liked her, even if she did leave the kids with the nanny.
smike

Post by smike »

Ch. 24 is PL OK. :thumbs:
Claudia

smike

Post by smike »

Ch 25 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Ch 26: there's a repeat (was) at 7:57

ch 27:PL OK. :thumbs:
Claudia

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Corrections completed.

It will be good to put this behind us :lol:
Strange, as I picked this book after reading Mrs. Dalloway by Woolf (it's not PD, written in, I believe, 1925). She's the same Mrs. Dalloway who was on the boat for a while, if you can recall that far back. I really enjoyed that book. But I think this one was written in one of Woolf's periods of depression, shortly after her sister's death.
smike

Post by smike »

Ch 19 and 21 are PL OK. I messed up ch 26. :oops: The repeat is 'with', not was, and it's still there, sorry.

I read that this was Virginia's first novel, and that she learnt from her mistakes in her later novels. Still, I don't think I'll try another book by her. :D
Claudia

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

smike wrote: October 14th, 2019, 11:55 am Ch 19 and 21 are PL OK. I messed up ch 26. :oops: The repeat is 'with', not was, and it's still there, sorry.

I read that this was Virginia's first novel, and that she learnt from her mistakes in her later novels. Still, I don't think I'll try another book by her. :D
I am not hearing a repeat. I am going to mark it PL OK and head to the catalog.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-voyage-out-by-virginia-woolf-2/

Thank you, Claudia. This was quite a slog. I'll try and pick something more lively next time!