[COMPLETE DR]Dr Dolittle's Post Office, Hugh Lofting - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

benderca wrote: October 8th, 2019, 2:13 am
Elizabby wrote: September 26th, 2019, 5:43 pm (I’m on a beach holiday this week!)
Beach holiday! Fantastic! Relax and enjoy, Beth! (Hope you have some LibriVox audiobooks to listen to... :D ).

Here's little Speedy, Section 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_speedy_2_128kb.mp3
Speedy Section 2 is PL OK! Sorry I can't update the MW at the moment, but the file is fine!
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Hello, I'd like to take the part of the Golden Jay Leader, section 26.
Thank you.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Welcome to the project!
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Elizabby wrote: October 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm Welcome to the project!
Thank you, Elizabby.

Here's the recording ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_goldenjayleader_6_128kb.mp3

I note that I was confused by the instructions (my Good Woman would say that's not hard to achieve).
I didn't know whether the "act number" in the filename was the section number, part number or chapter number. I flipped a mental
coin and chose the section number of the combined performance. If I was wrong, please let me know, and I'll go into the garden
and whip myself with birch twigs as a pennance.

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

LOL! It’s actually not that important as the roles are downloaded and combined into the final chapter, so what you’ve done is perfect! I’ll listen to the actual recording over the next few days.
axcel

Post by axcel »

hello, all

I am pleased to say that, after much rehearsal, the first section of my role of Doctor Dolittle is here.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_drdolittle_1_128kb.mp3

it runs 2:28

it is a version of Doctor Dolittle a little closer to his West Country roots (I hope). it is different form my previous performance. see what you think. any feedback is welcome.

if all is well, next weekend is scheduled for recording; more to follow!

axcel
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hm. I think I preferred your previous version actually - I think in this one your focus on the accent makes the overall performance less natural and smooth. I preferred the rhythms of your previous Dolittle. You might want to wait on a BC comment before changing anything though.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

adrianstephens wrote: October 12th, 2019, 10:31 pm I note that I was confused by the instructions (my Good Woman would say that's not hard to achieve).
I didn't know whether the "act number" in the filename was the section number, part number or chapter number. I flipped a mental
coin and chose the section number of the combined performance.
You made exactly the right decision! As Beth said, it doesn't make much difference, since the files will all be combined and renamed. But using the section numbers will help me to keep things straight.

I can't believe that you're the first one to point out that the instructions still say "act number." Terribly sorry about that, this one is on me! The template was designed to be used for stage play scripts, and I forgot to go in and change the relevant information to match our project. I will do that this afternoon. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

axcel wrote: October 13th, 2019, 12:29 am it is a version of Doctor Dolittle a little closer to his West Country roots (I hope). it is different form my previous performance. see what you think. any feedback is welcome.
My first inclination is to agree with Beth that I preferred your previous portrayal of the Doctor. However, that might just be because I'm so used to hearing it by now. It's a bit of a shock to hear the Doctor sounding so different! Just from this one recording, it seems that he's not so jovial and merry as before. More formal, maybe?

However, the beauty of this kind of project is that each person is free to characterize however they wish. As BC, I may make suggestions, but ultimately, the readers will determine how the end product sounds. And as Todd is always saying about his plays, the end result is truly a collaborative creation, and always sounds different, and often better, than the BC might have imagined on their own.

So if this is the characterization you'd like to use this time around, I applaud you! I've lived in Texas my whole life, so I wouldn't know the difference between West Country, East Country, lowlands and highlands. But I can appreciate your dedication to textual consistency! :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: October 9th, 2019, 3:43 am
benderca wrote: October 8th, 2019, 2:13 am
Elizabby wrote: September 26th, 2019, 5:43 pm (I’m on a beach holiday this week!)
Beach holiday! Fantastic! Relax and enjoy, Beth! (Hope you have some LibriVox audiobooks to listen to... :D ).

Here's little Speedy, Section 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_speedy_2_128kb.mp3
Speedy Section 2 is PL OK! Sorry I can't update the MW at the moment, but the file is fine!
I put this in the MW. As far as I can tell, it is all up to date now. But please let me know if anything is missing!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Excellent job on section 1, Larry! :clap: Superb. Nothing missing, and it all sounds great! I'll ask for a slight adjustment to the intro, though, because I'd like to change one thing about our section arrangement. :oops:

After a little more thought, I've decided that I ought to separate the prologue into its own section, to which I will add the cast list. If you wouldn't mind, please change this intro to say "Part 1, Chapters 1 and 2 of...." instead of "Prologue and Part 1, Chapters 1 and 2..." Also, since you'll be changing this one thing, there was a spot at 7:35, after "let the canoe drift," where a pause would be very helpful.

In addition, will you please submit another file (you can name it the same with section number 0) that just says "Prologue of Doctor Dolittle's Post Office" and "End of Prologue." You don't have to rearrange anything else or even do another disclaimer. I'll take care of all that. I'm sorry to ask you to make this change, since it's something I should have planned for in advance. I promise I won't be making any more changes like this, though! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

kathrinee wrote: August 6th, 2019, 11:29 am I'll set this up :)
Kathrine, will you please change the section I've just added to become section 0, so that the other numbering doesn't have to change? I'd appreciate it very much. Sorry that I didn't plan for a section 0 in advance.
axcel

Post by axcel »

mightyfelix wrote: October 13th, 2019, 5:38 am
axcel wrote: October 13th, 2019, 12:29 am it is a version of Doctor Dolittle a little closer to his West Country roots (I hope). it is different form my previous performance. see what you think. any feedback is welcome.
My first inclination is to agree with Beth that I preferred your previous portrayal of the Doctor. However, that might just be because I'm so used to hearing it by now. It's a bit of a shock to hear the Doctor sounding so different! Just from this one recording, it seems that he's not so jovial and merry as before. More formal, maybe?

However, the beauty of this kind of project is that each person is free to characterize however they wish. As BC, I may make suggestions, but ultimately, the readers will determine how the end product sounds. And as Todd is always saying about his plays, the end result is truly a collaborative creation, and always sounds different, and often better, than the BC might have imagined on their own.

So if this is the characterization you'd like to use this time around, I applaud you! I've lived in Texas my whole life, so I wouldn't know the difference between West Country, East Country, lowlands and highlands. But I can appreciate your dedication to textual consistency! :wink:
it is fascinating and valuable criticism. thank you, both.

Dolittle is described as quiet, and kind, and from the west country, in all the books. so, that's what I was going for.

but I accept that this performance is not so jovial as my earlier rendition. at least, the first section is a little less cheery than later ones, I should think, and in comparison to 'the voyages, is more dour to begin with.

maybe I can split the difference?

I am very open to suggestions, because collaboration, in my mind, is when everyone says, 'yes, that's amazing!' :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You make a good point, in that this book doesn't open in a very happy frame of mind. It probably would sound strange if the Doctor was overly happy in the midst of poor Zuzana's suffering.

I should also mention, perhaps, that I was initially surprised by the cheeriness I heard in your first performance. (I grew up watching Rex Harrison's portrayal, and he doesn't go in that direction at all, as you may be aware!) As I continued hearing it, though (and as I'm still working through editing), it began to grow on me. I have no doubt that the same thing will happen in this book, if you do decide to use this new voice.

I'm afraid I might not be able to give you a decisive opinion, if that's what you're wanting. You're very talented, and I have no doubt that you'll put in another lovely performance, however you choose to do it! :D
axcel

Post by axcel »

mightyfelix wrote: October 13th, 2019, 8:22 pm You make a good point, in that this book doesn't open in a very happy frame of mind. It probably would sound strange if the Doctor was overly happy in the midst of poor Zuzana's suffering.

I should also mention, perhaps, that I was initially surprised by the cheeriness I heard in your first performance. (I grew up watching Rex Harrison's portrayal, and he doesn't go in that direction at all, as you may be aware!) As I continued hearing it, though (and as I'm still working through editing), it began to grow on me. I have no doubt that the same thing will happen in this book, if you do decide to use this new voice.

I'm afraid I might not be able to give you a decisive opinion, if that's what you're wanting. You're very talented, and I have no doubt that you'll put in another lovely performance, however you choose to do it! :D
talented? ha! you are very kind. I am afraid I sweat bullets on these performances, as I am sure many readers do.

it is impressive, is it not, how so many people from such diverse places and backgrounds come together on these projects? it is good to be part of such a community

more dolittle soon, I promise