[Complete] Rhyme? And Reason? by Lewis Carroll - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Michael,
Couple of PL notes for section 13:
3:19 stumble “o-of all such theories” (text reads “in all such theories”)
3:25 stumble “the-the Present Company”
4:19 stumble “the-the world”
4:26 stumble “i-is but a notion”
13:04 I hear “the sang(?) she said”, text reads “the words she said”

One more thing, it doesn't need correcting, but it might be something to keep in mind for future recording: the lines "in character" tend to be rather a bit louder than others. Everyone does that (putting emotion and character into a voice almost automatically leads to a volume increase), but big changes in volume aren't necessarily nice for a listener! Again, it doesn't need correcting here, I just wanted to point it out as something to keep in mind. :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thanks, I'll make some amendments when I get back home next week. On the volume issue, I can try a higher level of compression and see if that helps. Most of the 'stumbles' are intentional, and are in parts of the dialogue where the speaker is responding hesitantly. Other than where you've identified an error, I would argue that that should be OK. Hesitancy, like accent, stress, speed, etc is simply part of the way the text is read by a specific speaker.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Just to point out, except for technical issues, to edit or not to edit is ultimately the reader's decision.

As for the volume, I use the Leveler effect, which I find works better than compression 8-)
Foon

Post by Foon »

MichaelMaggs wrote: March 29th, 2019, 9:42 am Thanks, I'll make some amendments when I get back home next week. On the volume issue, I can try a higher level of compression and see if that helps. Most of the 'stumbles' are intentional, and are in parts of the dialogue where the speaker is responding hesitantly. Other than where you've identified an error, I would argue that that should be OK. Hesitancy, like accent, stress, speed, etc is simply part of the way the text is read by a specific speaker.
It did cross my mind that it could be intentional, indeed--but I still wanted to mention them just in case they weren't! If you want to keep them as is, that's perfectly fine (as Lynne said as well). I also think that the of/in of the first note isn't important for standard PL, if you don't feel like changing that. And again, no need to change the volume in this recording, I only mentioned it as a "something to keep an eye on" if you wish.
I do think the last note (at 13:04) would benefit from correction. But the rest is definitely all up to you!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Just checking in to confirm I'm still here and that I'll be getting back to this as soon as I can.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Good to hear from you, Michael! I look forward to listening to more of these poems! :D

Readers needed:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Are you still working on the final 3 sections?
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Sorry for lengthy delay - I’m afraid that family issues have taken priority over the last few months. I will certainly be continuing this, hopefully by next month.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

That's fine... it's your schedule. Just making sure you hadn't dropped off the face of the earth or been abducted by aliens :shock:
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Just spent the afternoon padding out a cubbyhole as a recoding booth. Hope to be back soon, if I can remember how to use Audacity ...
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Section 16, Four Riddles, now done.

Not sure that complicated acrostic puzzles really work as an audio recording, but I've done my best!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

In The Three Voices, section 8 [not 13, as mentioned below], I've toned down the variability in volume, and I've also I've made the requested correction at 13:04:

I hear “the sang(?) she said”, text reads “the words she said”

The other points are to do with my deliberate reading choices and I'd prefer to leave them if that's OK.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

The Lang Coortin', section 15, ready for PL. I'm not able to do a realistic Scottish accent, so haven't even tried.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Michael,
Great to see that you're recording and uploading again! I've been having some family circumstances and I'm trying to get everything back on track, so I will PL soon (but it might take a couple of days).
I look forward to listening! :D

Readers needed:
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi Foon and Lynnet,

I've uploaded the final recordings, so that should I think be everything from my end, subject to any PL errors you may find.

I wanted to keep the Preface to the Hunting of the Snark separate from the poem itself, so I added a new section in the middle. As the MW explains, the section numbers have been automatically updated, but it seems that the recording URLs aren't amended to follow the new numbering. To avoid having two URLs called https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/rhymeandreason_13_carroll_128kb.mp3, I've uploaded the Snark poem under the name https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/rhymeandreason_12a_carroll_128kb.mp3 hoping that that will sort correctly in the background for Lynnet. But if I should have done something else, do let me know!

I'm having a think about another book now.