[COMPLETE] Woman and the Republic by Helen Johnson - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Woman and the Republic by Helen Johnson (1844 - 1917).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/woman-and-the-republic-by-helen-johnson/

First published in 1897, the book is considered to be the best summary of the arguments against woman suffrage. It allows readers to understand better why opposing views towards women's suffrage were prevalent even among women themselves then.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7300
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Woman and the Republic. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Woman and the Republic, by Helen Johnson. [Chapter X Part X]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Woman and the Republic, by Helen Johnson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    womanandtherepublic_##_johnson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. womanandtherepublic_01_johnson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by YuqingJune on December 19th, 2020, 6:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sounds like an interesting project! And it's always good to hear the other side.

I'll MC this for you - back in a moment with the MW.

Edit: and here we are! Let's wait here for a bit and see if we can attract a DPL together with the readers. Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chrisgooleyvoice

Post by chrisgooleyvoice »

I would like to contribute to this project. Since I'm the first to throw in my hat, perhaps I could read the Introductory chapter? I'm guessing this would be considered section 1. I would also be willing to read the following Chapter, presumably section 2.

Thanks for getting back to me about this. :)

~Chris
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Availle wrote: October 9th, 2019, 4:43 pm Sounds like an interesting project! And it's always good to hear the other side.

I'll MC this for you - back in a moment with the MW.

Edit: and here we are! Let's wait here for a bit and see if we can attract a DPL together with the readers. Have fun! :D
Thank you, Availle! It's just so nice to have you as the MC here :D
At the moment, I don't have access to the section compiler to edit the magic window yet. This is supposed to be the case for the time being, right?

chrisgooleyvoice wrote: October 10th, 2019, 11:01 am I would like to contribute to this project. Since I'm the first to throw in my hat, perhaps I could read the Introductory chapter? I'm guessing this would be considered section 1. I would also be willing to read the following Chapter, presumably section 2.

Thanks for getting back to me about this. :)

~Chris
Welcome and thanks for expressing your interest, Chris!
Can you submit your 1-minute test in the Listeners Forum first? This is just to make sure your settings are fine.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
Once you get an OK for your test, you're good to go!
Cheers,
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Hello Availle!
The word count for my magic window is ready now. I will be able to update it once it becomes available for me to use!

1 Chapter I Introductory
1177 words
2 Chapter II, Part 1
3535 words until “The Transvaal Republic has no woman suffrage amid its hand-to-hand struggles”
3 Chapter II, Part 2
3351 words from “To comprehend the condition of European governmental affairs”
4 Chapter III, Part 1
3519 words until “The difference is world-wide”
5 Chapter III, Part 2
3749 words from “The third count in the indictment runs” to “There is true division of labor now, in peace as well as in war”
6 Chapter III, Part 3
5114 words from “Suffragists mention as a final indignity the extension of the suffrage to...” to “at the prosperity and honor of every citizen”
7 Chapter III, Part 4
4212 words from “Fifteen years ago Suffrage leaders wrote in view of the wonderful advance of woman”
8 Chapter IV, Part 1
4422 words until “split their ranks asunder, were on their way to England”
9 Chapter IV, Part 2
4022 words from “These quarrels, stirred up through the unseemly conduct of men and women” to “and John B. Gough was principal orator”
10 Chapter IV, Part 3
3428 words from “The writers of the ‘History’ further say”
11 Chapter V, Part 1
3631 words until “without reference to her previous position before the law”
12 Chapter V, Part 2
3823 words from “One of the earliest demands made by the Suffrage Association”
13 Chapter VI
5613 words
14 Chapter VII
2861 words
15 Chapter VIII
5869 words
16 Chapter IX, Part 1
4235 words until “the contemptible status woman occupies in the Christian Church to-day”
17 Chapter IX, Part 2
3622 words from “So the woman who spurns the Bible as the book that..”
18 Chapter X
5805 words
19 Chapter XI
4389 words
20 Chapter XII Conclusion
1641 words

Thank you! :D
Cheers,
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You don't need to post the word counts here, you can just add everything straight into the MW. :wink:

As far as I'm concerned, you're in the database as the BC for this project. :?: Just click the "BC Admin" link underneath the MW, enter your username "YuqingJune" and password for the workflow and off you go.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Availle wrote: October 14th, 2019, 1:46 am You don't need to post the word counts here, you can just add everything straight into the MW. :wink:

As far as I'm concerned, you're in the database as the BC for this project. :?: Just click the "BC Admin" link underneath the MW, enter your username "YuqingJune" and password for the workflow and off you go.
Thank you for the suggestion! This is exactly what I've been doing, but apparently I "don't have permissions for this area"...
The status stated there is "--select status--", and I'm afraid I cannot edit that either.
Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)
Cheers,
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Let's move to pm to figure this one out, okay! :D

Edit: Never mind, I think I got it - could you try again please?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

The aforementioned technical issue has been successfully resolved a week ago.
Readers are very welcome here :D
Cheers,
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

To start with, here's section 2 from me, the BC!
[26:01]
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/womanandtherepublic_02_johnson_128kb.mp3

A big thank you to our future PL :)
Cheers,
cjb188

Post by cjb188 »

PL OK for Chapter 2: Part 1.
I did hear a bit of background noise at 8:02 but I believe that's an easy edit.
Otherwise, amazing!!!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for helping out here! :thumbs:

I quickly checked the file and can hear no background noise, it's not necessary to PL to such a standard.
Many of our recordings are listened to in the bus, on the train, during exercising...

Besides, we are not professionals, and many things may get worse when trying to over-edit.
It's fine as it is.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

cjb188 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 7:24 pm PL OK for Chapter 2: Part 1.
I did hear a bit of background noise at 8:02 but I believe that's an easy edit.
Otherwise, amazing!!!
I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen next time! Thank you for pointing out the issue :)

Also, your help is really appreciated, Availle!
Cheers,
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I could start off with the Intro/Chapter 1 if you like. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Availle wrote: December 30th, 2019, 4:26 am I could start off with the Intro/Chapter 1 if you like. :D
Oh wow! Thank you very much, Availle!
Cheers,