COMPLETE [GROUP] Fables of Aesop and Others by Aesop ed by Thomas Bewick-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

stoogeswoman wrote: October 10th, 2019, 9:21 am
silverquill wrote: October 9th, 2019, 10:18 pm The reason you didn't hear from me sooner, like a few hours, is because I still have to work for a living and can't be on LV all day. I do check in at least twice a day, which is enough to keep me current with all of my projects.

But, thanks for getting these in. (Better than a long wait). :wink:
I certainly didn't mean to imply that you should be on call 24/7. I am well aware, having been a reader here for several years, that everyone here is a volunteer and is doing this on their own time. Sorry if you took anything I said the wrong way. :(
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

stoogeswoman wrote: October 10th, 2019, 9:22 am
stoogeswoman wrote: October 10th, 2019, 9:21 am
silverquill wrote: October 9th, 2019, 10:18 pm The reason you didn't hear from me sooner, like a few hours, is because I still have to work for a living and can't be on LV all day. I do check in at least twice a day, which is enough to keep me current with all of my projects.

But, thanks for getting these in. (Better than a long wait). :wink:
I certainly didn't mean to imply that you should be on call 24/7. I am well aware, having been a reader here for several years, that everyone here is a volunteer and is doing this on their own time. Sorry if you took anything I said the wrong way. :(
No, no offence taken at all.
Truly grateful for your participation. Always good to have you on a project. :9:
~ Larry
DorisRego

Post by DorisRego »

Thank you for the help - so if I go into the link in the last entry is that the one you amplified? - It seems when I amplify it is too loud - not sure what the protocol is - so when I finish a recording, what are the steps to make sure that it is meeting the requirements? I am doing some work with ACX as well but have not submitted the project as of yet - is there a sequence of effects to complete on audacity before submitting?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DorisRego wrote: October 10th, 2019, 10:19 am Thank you for the help - so if I go into the link in the last entry is that the one you amplified? - It seems when I amplify it is too loud - not sure what the protocol is - so when I finish a recording, what are the steps to make sure that it is meeting the requirements? I am doing some work with ACX as well but have not submitted the project as of yet - is there a sequence of effects to complete on audacity before submitting?
Audacity does not have a function for giving a volume level in decibels With dozens and dozens of features, it is a mystery to me why something seemingly so basic is omitted. But, the is an Audacity plug-in that I use on all of my recordings to adjust volume, called ReplayGain. In the LV wiki on Measuring Volume in Audacity, it is described. Here is the link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

There is also a program written specifically for LibriVox called simply Checker. I use it primarily when proof listening. It is very easy to use and check fo all LV specs, and renders an actual volume reading in dBs. The LV target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB.

Here is the link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

These are both found in the Newbie Guide to Recording linked under bullet point 2 in the initial post of each project thread.

I hope these will be of use to you.

~Larry
~ Larry
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

silverquill wrote: October 10th, 2019, 9:26 am No, no offence taken at all.
Truly grateful for your participation. Always good to have you on a project. :9:
Apologies, silverquill - I'm starting a "Santa Ana Winds"-based sinus infection and realize I overreacted. :oops: Thanks! 8-)
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

stoogeswoman wrote: October 8th, 2019, 9:01 pm Hi! Hope you don't mind, I hadn't heard back from you but I went ahead and recorded the sections I requested earlier. Here they are:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_105_128kb.mp3 2 min 24.144 sec/2.25 kb
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_106_128kb.mp3 3 min 13.985 sec/3.03 kb
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_108_128kb.mp3 1 min 55.540 sec/1.81 kb
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_110_128kb.mp3 2 min 56.994 sec/2.77 kb
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_113_128kb.mp3 2 min 15.079 sec/2.11 kb

Thanks! 8-)
stoogeswoman wrote: October 7th, 2019, 8:32 pm Hello! I haven't recorded for a while but I'm hoping to get back into it now that I have some free time. May I please request the following sections:

105 Dog and the Sheep
106 Jupiter and the Herdsman
108 Magpie and Sheep
110 Countryman and Snake
113 Blackamoor

Thanks! 8-)
All PL OK. Beautiful reading and very nicely done.
Just one comment - 106 had a distinct background hum (which the other 4 didn't). Since I already had it, I used Noise Reduction (which removed it) and reuploaded. You may wish to track down why on this track and not the other 4?
Thanks for your lovely readings.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Lovely readings. All PL OK. You have a very nice voice and way of reading. Thanks!
regards
Jane Bennett
tels

Post by tels »

silverquill wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 5:44 am I've put these in the MW Ready for PL
Thank you for our first recorded sections. :thumbs:

We do request that you include the file length when you post the length, in min:sec

And, I have assigned you 43 and 48.
Hi silverquill,

Thanks! Did I post them correctly, apart from the forgetting to include the length?

best,
tels
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

DorisRego wrote: October 10th, 2019, 10:19 am Thank you for the help - so if I go into the link in the last entry is that the one you amplified? - It seems when I amplify it is too loud - not sure what the protocol is - so when I finish a recording, what are the steps to make sure that it is meeting the requirements? I am doing some work with ACX as well but have not submitted the project as of yet - is there a sequence of effects to complete on audacity before submitting?
The only one I amplified was 82.
Here’s what I do.
When new to everything, I used the Checker program on every file before uploading it. I kept getting told the volume was too low.
Once I had exhausted trying to fix (eg, getting closer to mike, moving it itself, which didn’t help as my p’s got wayyy too many plosive) myself, I did some more reading on the wiki.

Here is the process (takes more time to write than it actually does to do it.
1. Use Checker. If told volume too low, go to next step, otherwise upload.
2. Use the ReplayGain plug-in and note how much it tells me to Amplify by.
3. In Audacity, amplify the file by that figure. Test listen. If slightly too loud, use Undo, then Amplify again by slightly less).
4. Happy? I export as .mp3 again.
5? Repeat step 1.

After I’d done several, I knew what the waveform should ‘look’ like in Audacity, so I just do steps 2-4 only. I only now use the Checker if I’m unsure, or when doing PL with new readers.
Hope this helps.
Don’t rely on “seems too loud” - that is what Checker is for. If your voice is soft when recording, you will have been turning up your speakers to listen, and of course a file at the right volume will ‘seem loud’.
regards
Jane Bennett
hikki

Post by hikki »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 10th, 2019, 3:18 am
Thank you, I have PL'd these. Great reading! Great attention to pausing in the right places and reading phrases in a way that conveys meaning - very well done.
Only one tiny change in 90:
~2.15 The word 'shew' is a now old fashioned spelling of 'show' and read just the same as show (even a native speaker might stumble on this). I'm going to ask you to change it, because a listener will think they are hearing the word 'shoo' which means something very different and makes no sense here.

FYI (For your information)
extraordinary - we usually say this as though there is no 'a' in it, ie, as 'extrordinary' in 5 syllables, rather than as 2 words in 6. No need to change unless you choose.
Thanks!

Note still waiting for the changes to your other files still marked See PL notes. (This always means you need to change something and re-upload the revised file/s).
Thank you so much for the review. I lent my mic to a friend for a week. I will make the changes as soon as I get it back. I actually lost the source files for the recording so I would have to record the whole things again. OR maybe I do the changes in the mp3 file?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

hikki wrote: October 11th, 2019, 6:22 am
Thank you so much for the review. I lent my mic to a friend for a week. I will make the changes as soon as I get it back. I actually lost the source files for the recording so I would have to record the whole things again. OR maybe I do the changes in the mp3 file?
No need to record the whole thing again.
You can download your file right from the Magic Window and then make any changes.
(Right click on the listen link, and "save as")

The only word that needs to be changes is "shew," probably,
But, don't try to do just a single word, because it will sound strange. Do a whole sentence or phrase. It still will probably not match perfectly, but will still sound better than patching in a single word. Extra - ordinary is an acceptable alternate pronunciation.
~ Larry
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 10th, 2019, 11:09 pm All PL OK. Beautiful reading and very nicely done.
Just one comment - 106 had a distinct background hum (which the other 4 didn't). Since I already had it, I used Noise Reduction (which removed it) and reuploaded. You may wish to track down why on this track and not the other 4?
Thanks for your lovely readings.
Hi Jane - thanks so much for fixing it! I probably didn't do the Noise Reduction correctly on that one, as I did on the others. Appreciate your help! :clap:
Phiona227

Post by Phiona227 »

i would like to read The haros and the frogs, The mountains in labor and The Fowler and the romg-dove.
Phione 227
gregleopold

Post by gregleopold »

I'll Do: 185, 186, and 187.
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

If they haven't been claimed already, I'd like to do sections 123 and 125-128. These will be my first recordings, so I'd like to be listed by my real name, Mark Dykshoorn, in the Librivox catalog.