[COMPLETE] Stories of North Pole Adventure by Frank Mundell - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Steve

Post by Steve »

Stories of North Pole Adventure by Frank Mundell (1870 - 1932) -dc.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/stories-of-north-pole-adventure-by-frank-mundell/
This volume does not pretend to be a history of Artic exploration. My aim has been to narrate some of the most thrilling incidents of Polar adventure in such a manner that the reader may feel something of the fascination which induces explorers, in spite of reverses and disasters, to attempt again and again to penetrate the vast region of snow and silence and solitude around the North Pole.

Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy; and, wherever possible, the actual journals of the various expeditions have been consulted, besides a host of minor publications. (Preface by Frank Mundell).
Stories of North Pole Adventure, was one in a series of inspirational texts and ‘heroic writings’ by the Victorian author Frank Mundell and published by The Sunday School Union. Frank Mundell wrote a significant number of books for children (both boys and girls) and many of these were distributed and presented to them through their Sunday schools. (Steve C)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): Reader's own book
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction/Action Adventure (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: , exploration, adventure, north pole, children's books, sea voyage, the sunday school union, artic exploration, sunday school, northwest passage
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Preface & Epigraph to Stories of North Pole Adventure. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say: "Stories of North Pole Adventure, by Frank Mundell. [Preface & Epigraph]"

• At the end of the section, say: "End of [Preface & Epigraph]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapter [number ## ] of Stories of North Pole Adventure by Frank Mundell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • Only if applicable, say: "[Chapter title]"
      • At the end of the section, say: "End of [Chapter ##]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition): "End of Stories of North Pole Adventure, by Frank Mundell. "

• There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
      • Example filename storiesnorthpole_##_mundell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. storiesnorthpole_01_mundell_128kb.mp3)
      Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Steve on September 26th, 2019, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Craigdav1 has kindly offered to MC & DPL this project, (once he finds his winter gear!) :)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

Just got back from three weeks in Alaska so I'm ready.
Steve

Post by Steve »

craigdav1 wrote: September 26th, 2019, 12:31 pm MW coming up.

Just got back from three weeks in Alaska so I'm ready.
Nice one! So, we'll be heading out on the other side of the continent for Hudson Bay and Greenland to start with!

Sections 0 ~ 3 uploaded.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0-1 PL OK.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2-3 PL OK.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for PLing 0 ~ 3

Sections 4 ~ 5 now uploaded.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4-5 PL OK.

While at the Anchorage Museum I learned about the 1845 Franklin expedition to find the infamous Northwest Passage. Thirty-seven expeditions were eventually launched to discover their fate. The two ships weren't found until 2014 (and 2016) in water less than one hundred feet deep in the Arctic Ocean. None of the 129 men aboard the ships survived. I see some chapters about this coming soon.
Steve

Post by Steve »

craigdav1 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 2:26 pm While at the Anchorage Museum I learned about the 1845 Franklin expedition to find the infamous Northwest Passage. Thirty-seven expeditions were eventually launched to discover their fate. The two ships weren't found until 2014 (and 2016) in water less than one hundred feet deep in the Arctic Ocean. None of the 129 men aboard the ships survived. I see some chapters about this coming soon.
I checked out the Anchorage Museum website and it would seem that you got in just in time to see the Franklin exhibition! It looked really fascinating and well worth the visit.

My interest in Sir John Franklin and his Artic explorations was initially sparked by a record track that used to be played quite frequently by a North Sea pirate radio ship - Radio Caroline in the early seventies.

The track was entitled, Lord Franklin and had been recorded by a folk-rock band called Pentangle. The lyrics had been written by Lady Jane Franklin as a lament to her lost husband. She herself had sponsored a number of expeditions to try and determine the fate of her husband and his final expedition. But as history records, this was to no avail.

If you haven’t come across these pages before, then the following links may be of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Franklin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Franklin%27s_Lament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysFKjWG_W54

I think that I will get to the chapters on Sir John Franklin in about a week's time!

Thanks for PLing sections 4 & 5 – 6 & 7 now uploaded.

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6-7 PL OK.

Here's the link. Not much information. The exhibit though took up an entire floor. Had numerous artifacts from the ships.
https://www.anchoragemuseum.org/exhibits/death-in-the-ice-the-mystery-of-the-franklin-expedition/
I'll check out the YouTube video this weekend.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for PLing sections 6 & 7 – 8 & 9 now uploaded.

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

8-9 PL OK.

Sad that the Franklin's crew was so unprepared for travel by land.
Steve

Post by Steve »

craigdav1 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 5:44 am Sad that the Franklin's crew was so unprepared for travel by land.
If they could have 'gone native' with clothing and food more appropriate to the conditions, they might have stood a greater chance of surviving.

I recall reading in a previous chapter that breakfast for the overland explorers consisted of a mug of warm cocoa and some biscuits and then not much else until an evening meal was prepared. There is no comparison between that and the food consumed by a modern polar explorer - a varied high fat diet, ranging between 5000 ~ 6000 calories per day!

Thanks for PLing 8 & 9 - Section 10 The Fate of Franklin now uploaded.

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

10 PL OK.

I regret not noticing the sources of the historical artifacts in the Anchorage Museum (Inuit?).