[COMPLETE] Milton's Minor Poems - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
I've PL'ed section 1 and it is PL OK. :clap:
However the corrected text to "On the Morning of Christ’s Nativity"
isn't on PG as of yet so I read along from the link on Archive Ava suggested.

Betty
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Strange. Go here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1745/1745-h/1745-h.htm#link2H_4_0003.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Betty, I have added two files at the beginning of the collection consisting of the prefatory material that precedes the poems. Some of it is prickly with issues of spelling that must be clarified in speech for the listener. It will take patience to listen to; imagine the patience it took to record and fight down your repulsion.

Then I have divided the file you have already okayed into the individual poems, following the audible format of two of the more recent collections of poetry on the site, opening with "[title of poem,] by John Milton, read for LibriVox.org by Thomas Copeland" and adding at the end "End of [title of poem]." The only change I have made to the text you have already heard is to apply the noise reduction app supplied by Audacity, which I have finally begun to learn to use. I really don't think you need to give these more than a cursory glance.

Tom
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
I've PL'ed section 1 of the front matter the preface) and there's one spot that may need redoing:

At 20:07 heard “390” in “ so carefully revised, that only one fault (Paradise Regain'd, ii. 309) was left for correction later.

This may be a typo in the PG text (I defer to your judgment) but I wanted to bring it to your attention just in case.

I've also spot checked all the individual poems you re-uploaded. Unfortunately each one need a little tweaking at the end. For the poetry disclaimers you should say "this recording is in the public domain" at the end of each recording.

Now, my goodness I admire your attention to detail in recording this preface. If that took me longer to PL I can just imaging how long that took to to read :) I'll have to get to section 2 of the front matter tomorrow.

Regards,
Betty
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
I've now PL'ed section 2 of the front matter, and this file also omits "this recording is in the public domain" I rechecked your original post in this thread and your preference seems to be to say the short disclaimer at the beginning, So per our policy for all these files:

"Chapter [number] of Milton's Minor Poems by John Milton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name],

This is an easy fix for all these files, the readings are superb, as always.

Betty
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I have uploaded the sixteenth file with intro and exit remarks as specified. If it meets approval, I'll make the others conform to this model:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/minorpoems_16_milton_128kb.mp3.

Tom
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I've PL'ed section 16 and everything is fine except you can edit out "this recording is in the public domain" at the end of the recording because you already included it at the beginning of the file.

So when you have time you can tweak the beginning intros for sections 2 through 15. And I still have that question about section 1 (see above post) whether that is a typo on PG's part or not.

Betty
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I've PL'ed section 1 of the front matter the preface) and there's one spot that may need redoing:

At 20:07 heard “390” in “ so carefully revised, that only one fault (Paradise Regain'd, ii. 309) was left for correction later.
I've fixed this now. I also regularized the openings and closings, and I redid the times, which these changes affected. One opening that I decided to enlarge was for the sonnets (#15): I added "from the 1645 edition" because there are more sonnets to come.

Tom
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
I've spot checked all the files currently in the MW and they're all PL OK except for section 3. "On the Morning of Christ's Nativity"
Unfortunately the wrong file was uploaded as this file has glitches that it didn't have originally (I still have the first section 3 on my hard drive so I compared the two files to be sure,)

The other files are fine!

Regards,
Betty
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Section 3 is now good to go. :) And section 17 is PL OK too. :clap:

Betty
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The next installment, https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/minorpoems_18_milton_128kb.mp3, has been uploaded. Thanks for your diligence, Betty. You may notice one added word. The text reads thus: “I hasten as you do to Florence, or Siena, the rather tell you a short story from the interest you have given me in your safety.” All other online texts I have seen have "the rather TO tell you." I intend to report this to David Widger before finishing "A Maske" (popularly known as "Comus"), and if he reacts the correction, which I doubt, I will remove "to."

Tom
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Section 18 is PL OK!

Wonderful! (even the Latin words which I didn't understand :oops: )

Betty
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Obviously all those late nights of studying Latin paid off more than my dad expected. Yet I'm very glad I switched majors.

Comus is uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/minorpoems_19_milton_128kb.mp3
. This drama is popularly known as Comus, but as far as we know Milton never called it so. Its official title is A Maske Presented at Ludlow Castle, which is cumbersome and unhelpful since all readers will know it as Comus.

I am indebted to David Widger for obliging me by making the emendations I asked for in time for you to proof this reading. He knows of our project and is willing to facilitate it.

Tom
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I've just now Pl'ed Comus and there are two small differences:

At 45:33 heard “I would” in “Against the Sun-clad power of Chastity,
Fain would I somthing say, yet to what end?

At 48:07 heard “I now” in “Yet stay, be not disturb'd, now I bethink me
Som other means I have which may he us'd

Betty