[FULL][DR]The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -ke

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
johnnyenglish
Posts: 355
Joined: August 4th, 2014, 6:10 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by johnnyenglish » October 3rd, 2019, 2:19 pm

“‘Oh, never mind about that, Mr. Wilson!’ said Vincent Spaulding. ‘I should be able to look after that for you.’

Lower case is narration - just to be clear - hope that helps!
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

Elizabby
Posts: 9226
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » October 3rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

adrianstephens wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 1:10 pm
Hello. I'm new to this thread. I'd like to take section 7, James Ryder.
Thank you,
Adrian
Great! Welcome to the project! Please note that the colour coded script for James Ryder is Story 7, and is linked in section 56. James Ruder is orange, so please read all the orange bits, including the voice credit st the start!

(And if you like, you can claim one character in each story!)
Last edited by Elizabby on October 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Why
Posts: 4487
Joined: November 24th, 2005, 3:54 am
Location: Chigwell (North-East London, U.K.)

Post by Peter Why » October 3rd, 2019, 2:37 pm

Here's Sherlock for the first section (Bohemia): https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_holmes_01_128kb.mp3

(29.08)

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

Elizabby
Posts: 9226
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » October 3rd, 2019, 2:40 pm

Thanks Peter! I should be able to PL this one this weekend - this is a great story, probably my favourite in this collection!

adrianstephens
Posts: 239
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 3rd, 2019, 9:37 pm

Elizabby wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 2:32 pm
adrianstephens wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 1:10 pm
Hello. I'm new to this thread. I'd like to take section 7, James Ryder.
Thank you,
Adrian
Great! Welcome to the project! Please note that the colour coded script for James Ryder is Story 7, and is linked in section 56. James Ruder is orange, so please read all the orange bits, including the voice credit st the start!

(And if you like, you can claim one character in each story!)
Hello Elizabby. Thanks for the intro.
Here's section 7, James Ryder for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_james_ryder_07_128kb.mp3
I put on a generic "south london" accent for the reading. If you don't like it, I can redo with a more neutral british accent.
I don't think there are any other James Ryder pieces. Feel free suggest any other parts that might suit my voice.
Thank you!

Elizabby
Posts: 9226
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » October 3rd, 2019, 10:36 pm

adrianstephens wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:37 pm
Here's section 7, James Ryder for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_james_ryder_07_128kb.mp3
I put on a generic "south london" accent for the reading. If you don't like it, I can redo with a more neutral british accent.
I don't think there are any other James Ryder pieces. Feel free suggest any other parts that might suit my voice.
Thank you!
Accent is fine, but there is one line missing at about 0:20 in this file "“Who are you, then? What do you want?

Also at 3:40 there is a long gap of several seconds, which would be better closed up to about 1-1.5 seconds. Any longer and it sounds as if the file has stopped playing.

At 6:28 the sentence should be: "and now I am myself a branded thief, without ever having touched the wealth for which I sold my character. " (I liked the very effective sobbing at the end of this line, please leave that in!

If you could make those changes, then re-export and re-upload with the same filename, and I'll check it.

Other roles suitable for you would be : Victor Hatherley in Story 9, Mr Neville St Clair in Story 6, Inspector Jones in Story 2. You may have any or all of these roles!

adrianstephens
Posts: 239
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 4th, 2019, 12:56 am

Elizabby wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 10:36 pm
adrianstephens wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:37 pm
Here's section 7, James Ryder for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_james_ryder_07_128kb.mp3
I put on a generic "south london" accent for the reading. If you don't like it, I can redo with a more neutral british accent.
I don't think there are any other James Ryder pieces. Feel free suggest any other parts that might suit my voice.
Thank you!
Accent is fine, but there is one line missing at about 0:20 in this file "“Who are you, then? What do you want?

Also at 3:40 there is a long gap of several seconds, which would be better closed up to about 1-1.5 seconds. Any longer and it sounds as if the file has stopped playing.

At 6:28 the sentence should be: "and now I am myself a branded thief, without ever having touched the wealth for which I sold my character. " (I liked the very effective sobbing at the end of this line, please leave that in!

If you could make those changes, then re-export and re-upload with the same filename, and I'll check it.

Other roles suitable for you would be : Victor Hatherley in Story 9, Mr Neville St Clair in Story 6, Inspector Jones in Story 2. You may have any or all of these roles!
Dear Elizabby,
Thanks for your feedback. I've made the corrections in this file: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_james_ryder_07_128kb.mp3.

I'd also like to take the Mr Nevillie St Clair and Inspector Jones parts. When done with that I might come back for the longer Hatherley part, but can't commit yet as I'm on holiday next week (Centre Parcs, Thetford).
Best Regards,
Adrian

BTW, as a newbie, I'm still working on my recording booth. It is in a shed in the garden. I have triple glazed windows, and have hung blankets on the walls and ceiling. I'm using a Blue Yeti with a pop guard. I do have to contend with external sounds: the sound of children playing in the school playground about 200m away, passing cars on the main road, and the bane of all - blackbirds sitting in the cherry tree immediately over the shed. I think some more blankets and draft-proof strip are needed :0).

johnnyenglish
Posts: 355
Joined: August 4th, 2014, 6:10 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by johnnyenglish » October 4th, 2019, 2:22 am

Hello Elizabby,

Just to let you know, I am going to try to PL at least one of your roles a day. (Obviously, I may be
able to do more on the shorter peices!)

One question: When Dr Watson reads the letter aloud at Holmes' suggestion - why does he sound
like the King of Bohemia?

This is not a criticism, I just wondered if there was a dramatic reason for this!

Peter - OUTSTANDING!

Adrian - I agree with Elizabby - the accent is spot on!

Andrew :D
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

Elizabby
Posts: 9226
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » October 4th, 2019, 2:30 am

johnnyenglish wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 2:22 am
Hello Elizabby,

One question: When Dr Watson reads the letter aloud at Holmes' suggestion - why does he sound like the King of Bohemia?

Andrew :D
I admit this is a judgement call, but since the letter is from the King of Bohemia I thought it might as well be read by him - in DR works I try to make as much of the characters as possible, as the narrator always has plenty to say anyway and more variation in voices makes it more interesting to listen to, IMO.

adrianstephens
Posts: 239
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 4th, 2019, 4:19 am

Thank you, Elizabby for assigning those two parts to me in the MW.

Here's section 2, Inspector Jones, ready for PL.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_inspector_jones_02_128kb.mp3

Regards,
Adrian Stephens

adrianstephens
Posts: 239
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 4th, 2019, 6:35 am

adrianstephens wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:19 am
Thank you, Elizabby for assigning those two parts to me in the MW.

Here's section 2, Inspector Jones, ready for PL.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_inspector_jones_02_128kb.mp3

Regards,
Adrian Stephens
And here's section 6, Mr Neville St Clair:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/sherlockholmes_mr_neville_st_clair_06_128kb.mp3

Best Regards,
Adrian

johnnyenglish
Posts: 355
Joined: August 4th, 2014, 6:10 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by johnnyenglish » October 4th, 2019, 8:18 am

Elizabby,

The way you have 'edited' my question makes me sound like a bit of a git!

(I'm not too happy about that...)

I did say that it was simply a matter of curiosity - not a criticism.

I can totally understand your reasoning!

Andrew :D
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

johnnyenglish
Posts: 355
Joined: August 4th, 2014, 6:10 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by johnnyenglish » October 4th, 2019, 9:12 am

Story One. Irene Adler - PL OK! (Perfect, in fact!) :D
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

johnnyenglish
Posts: 355
Joined: August 4th, 2014, 6:10 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by johnnyenglish » October 4th, 2019, 9:22 am

If I am not overstepping my bounds - Story 15 - Mr Duncan Ross - PL OK.

(AWESOME voice Algy. I am so looking forward to editing this project!)

Andrew
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

johnnyenglish
Posts: 355
Joined: August 4th, 2014, 6:10 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by johnnyenglish » October 4th, 2019, 9:55 am

A Case of Identity. Mary Sutherland.

Elizabby, you say 'Mr. Sherlock Holmes", but in the script it says 'Mr. Holmes'. Please check this -
if I am reading it wrong, no worries! (And if I am correct - I can sort it in the edit!)

Other than that - it is totally spot on! (She sounds very sweet - I really felt for her!)

I think that is all I can manage for today - I shall get back on the case on the morrow!

PL OK!
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

Post Reply