Hey from Southwest Michigan

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
fenchurch

Post by fenchurch »

Hey everyone!

Currently I'm a full-time receptionist for a museum, but I eventually hope to be employed as a paper conservator. I started listening to audiobooks a few years ago - I love them for car trips or while I'm knitting! I have teeny bit of audio experience, I did record a track for my museum's audio gallery guide, and I'm looking forward to picking out my first Librivox piece!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

*three cheers for SW Michigan*

I grew up in Kalamzoo... so, I'm glad you're here... very exciting about your potential job with the paper conservator... I did some work in that field in college at the libraries at U of M.... I would have loved to gone into the field professionally, but couldn't bear the idea of moving to Texas to get the proper degree...

anyway, I'm babbling because I'm so excited to see someone here from my home area...

if you're looking for an easy way to get your feet wet, the Short Works area is a good place to begin.... lots of opportunties there... if you have any questions, please feel free to ask us =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
vee

Post by vee »

We're really staring to get a critical mass of Michiganites!

Glad to have to here fenchurch. Jump on in if you get a chance and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're a pretty friendly group!

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, fenchurch!

Wow, a paper conservator! I've got to admit that really sounds intriguing. I've always loved the smell of a library - though I suppose that's distressing in a way since it's likely the smell of millions of sheets of paper slowly decomposing...

Let me recommend that you try your hand at one of Aesop's Fables! They're in the Short Works section. They're wonderful for getting used to the format of reading here in LibriVox because they're short and fun and easy to do. In fact, they often take less than a minute - but that's enough to gain familiarity with the process. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

It's great to have you here, fenchurch - it's always nice to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
raouf

Post by raouf »

And another three cheers for SW Michigan.

SW Michigan is unkown to most, which is a shame because it is a marvellous place. The only museum I know in that area is the Bicycle History Museum in Three Oaks. Every summer there is a famous Apple Cider Bicycle tour that starts from that location. And it is not just apples that are good there but also wonderful pick your own peaches and blueberries.

Right now however this area is hammered with lake effect snow.
Hang in there, spring is around the corner.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

ok this michigan thing is getting crazy. you must be the most literate, book-loving people in the world!

welcome.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heya fenchurch ... so ... so ... what're you going to pick..?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
fenchurch

Post by fenchurch »

[Hey, I just claimed a fable, so now I just have to figure out the recording bit! Library smell is generally decaying paper (eep!), but (and I'm such a geek for knowing this) there are different kinds of library smell; as long as its not damp or vinegary, its in decent shape :)
fenchurch

Post by fenchurch »

Are there really that many sign-ups from Michigan happening? I think Michiganders love of books is directly related to the fact the we spend a good chunk of the year hiding inside, preferably near and fire and snuggled under a blanket.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Under a blanket - great for sound damping! :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I know I've run across your username somewhere else, fenchurch. Did you ever play Pyroto Mountain? Or Badde Manors?

It's great to have you here whether I know you from a previous life or not, actually... :D
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

ChipDoc wrote:I know I've run across your username somewhere else, fenchurch. Did you ever play Pyroto Mountain? Or Badde Manors?

It's great to have you here whether I know you from a previous life or not, actually... :D
It could be the same person but it is quite a popular username in homage to the wonderful character of that name in the Hitch Hiker stories.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Geez... it's been almost 30 years since I've read the Hitchhiker stories... sigh. Somewhere around here I've got the original BBC Radio play. I should drag it out and listen to it again!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

chip some of that's available somewhere online ... i think through KCRW - google shalll reveal all!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Oh I've got it on my drive at home. Played it today. It was great hearing Journey Of The Sorcerer used as the theme music!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain