COMPLETE Doodles: the sunshine boy by Emma C. Dowd-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

TribalElder wrote: May 20th, 2019, 2:32 pm Cool. I'm glad to be getting on with this better at last. The project's been open for almost two years, and I'll be glad to get to the end and see it in the catalogue!

I do however, have a problem. I've come to read through chapter 20 to start recording, and I've come across something which I can't decipher - it looks like some kind of little kid's rhyme or a poem, or possibly a silly song. The problem I have is this - I have googled it to death and can't find any single reference to it.

So my question is this - how do I include it in the story? Do I read it as plain text, as a rhyme, or what? Basically, do I have artistic license to interpret it the way I want, or do I have to do something specific with it?

This is the text: (see page 214 of the book if you have access to the PDF)

"Whimwham, rock or wiggle!
Whimwham, whoa!
Whimwham, mock or giggle!
Whimwham, go!"

(Doodles tries to repeat this, so I have to do it twice, but he messes it up, Blue doesn't.)

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

It definitely looks like a children's rhyme to me. It is kind of nonsensical since you usually have a short word or phrase to mean that whatever you expect to happen will happen quickly, ie. before you can say Jack Robinson. I'd read it like a rhyme. It reminds me of the jumping rope rhymes we used to chant as kids when jumping rope. It could have been used as the start of a race and everyone runs on GO. ?

I Googled around a bit and couldn't find anything either.

aniroo

Can't wait to hear what you decide to do.
aniroo :wink:
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Hi all :)

Apologies for the mahoosive delay in my work and in speaking to you. Unfortunately I've had to get a new laptop and this has taken time. My old one has gone most definitely to silicon heaven...well, it was cremated first :!:

This means I've lost all my audio recordings and had to spend time getting things back up and running. I would like to ask whether, even though we're not supposed to listen to the work because of server load, I could be allowed to download the 19 installments I've already sent up without doing anything amiss, please? I simply want to keep all the audio together on my new laptop in case I need to go back and correct any errors.

Everything else is ok, the laptop was (thank G*d) the only thing which caught fire. Might have been an electrical fault in the power supply. Either way, all is now well and we're back on air.

I've got all the right programs back, Audacity, MP3Gain, and so on. Just need to get back to work :)

I'll check in with you again in a day or two.

J :thumbs:
"This is our hope for all that's mortal, and we too shall burst the bond.
Death keeps watch beside the portal, but 'tis life that dwells beyond."
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
https://librivox.org/tom-browns-school-days-by-thomas-hughes/
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

TribalElder wrote: July 28th, 2019, 4:28 am Hi all :)

Apologies for the mahoosive delay in my work and in speaking to you. Unfortunately I've had to get a new laptop and this has taken time. My old one has gone most definitely to silicon heaven...well, it was cremated first :!:

This means I've lost all my audio recordings and had to spend time getting things back up and running. I would like to ask whether, even though we're not supposed to listen to the work because of server load, I could be allowed to download the 19 installments I've already sent up without doing anything amiss, please? I simply want to keep all the audio together on my new laptop in case I need to go back and correct any errors.

Everything else is ok, the laptop was (thank G*d) the only thing which caught fire. Might have been an electrical fault in the power supply. Either way, all is now well and we're back on air.

I've got all the right programs back, Audacity, MP3Gain, and so on. Just need to get back to work :)

I'll check in with you again in a day or two.

J :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about that laptop, glad nothing else was damaged. Look forward to hearing the next section. :D

aniroo
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Absolutely no problem with you downloading your sections . . .

Sorry for the laptop issues . . . switching devices is always trouble, and when you don't plan on it, doubly (or triply) so.

MaryAnn
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Sorry I've still not got any further. For some reason I'm having real trouble finishing reading chapter 20. I'm going to skip over it for now and move on so I don't hold this project up any further, and come back to it when I have figured out what I'm doing wrong.

Take care,

J.
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

TribalElder wrote: September 29th, 2019, 11:07 am Sorry I've still not got any further. For some reason I'm having real trouble finishing reading chapter 20. I'm going to skip over it for now and move on so I don't hold this project up any further, and come back to it when I have figured out what I'm doing wrong.

Take care,

J.
:thumbs:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I've done that as well at times. Sometimes that's all it takes to get.through the "reader's block."
MaryAnn
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Hello from the pit :) Thank you all for being so patient with me. I've just put chapter 21 into the MW for you to take a peek at. It's quite fun and rather giggly, so the chances are I've made more than a few bloopers in there, but I think it's ok. :mrgreen: If there are any issues, just flag them to me and I'll re-record the chapter.

It's quite short, only 6 pages long, in comparison to chapter 20 which is about 30 pages; I think that's why I'm having so much trouble reading it. To do the whole chapter in one sitting is knocking it out of me. What I might do to get it finished is record it in segments, probably 8 or 10 pages at a time over three sessions, to get it done.

As usual, hope all is well for you and I'll be back soon :)

Take care.

J.
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

TribalElder wrote: October 9th, 2019, 1:37 pm Hello from the pit :) Thank you all for being so patient with me. I've just put chapter 21 into the MW for you to take a peek at. It's quite fun and rather giggly, so the chances are I've made more than a few bloopers in there, but I think it's ok. :mrgreen: If there are any issues, just flag them to me and I'll re-record the chapter.

It's quite short, only 6 pages long, in comparison to chapter 20 which is about 30 pages; I think that's why I'm having so much trouble reading it. To do the whole chapter in one sitting is knocking it out of me. What I might do to get it finished is record it in segments, probably 8 or 10 pages at a time over three sessions, to get it done.

As usual, hope all is well for you and I'll be back soon :)

Take care.

J.

Not a blooper in sight! Section 21 PL OK :clap: :clap:

Now I'm impatient to hear how he got that $3,000.00!!!!

Reading it in shorter sections sounds like a good idea to me. Easier to edit as well.

Thanks,
aniroo
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

aniroo wrote: October 10th, 2019, 10:06 am Now I'm impatient to hear how he got that $3,000.00!!!!
You're about to find out, Aniroo! Chapter 20, recorded over 3 sessions, is now complete and available for PL in the MW when you're ready to bury yourself in its drama! Enjoy!

Reading it in shorter sections definitely helped. I think lengthwise, that's the longest chapter I've read in the whole work. In total it spans about 27 pages all told. Thankfully, it's done!

Enjoy the listen. There may be one or two very minor clicks in the track, I've silenced all that I can find though :)

Take care.

J.
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

TribalElder wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm
aniroo wrote: October 10th, 2019, 10:06 am Now I'm impatient to hear how he got that $3,000.00!!!!
You're about to find out, Aniroo! Chapter 20, recorded over 3 sessions, is now complete and available for PL in the MW when you're ready to bury yourself in its drama! Enjoy!

Reading it in shorter sections definitely helped. I think lengthwise, that's the longest chapter I've read in the whole work. In total it spans about 27 pages all told. Thankfully, it's done!

Enjoy the listen. There may be one or two very minor clicks in the track, I've silenced all that I can find though :)

Take care.

J.

Section 20 PL OK :D :D :clap: :clap: :thumbs:

Didn't hear any clicks!

You're on the home stretch now, almost finished ! Bravo

aniroo
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Hi again!

Sorry it's been a few weeks, I've not been well but all is now good.

Please find chapter 23, The Miracle Voice, now in the MW and ready for PL. I'm still working on 22 and having to do that the same way I did 20. It's quite a long one so I'll break it down again and do it in parts.

Stay well and I'll be back with you all soon :)

J.
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

TribalElder wrote: November 27th, 2019, 2:53 am Hi again!

Sorry it's been a few weeks, I've not been well but all is now good.

Please find chapter 23, The Miracle Voice, now in the MW and ready for PL. I'm still working on 22 and having to do that the same way I did 20. It's quite a long one so I'll break it down again and do it in parts.

Stay well and I'll be back with you all soon :)

J.
Glad to hear that you are better. My computer crashed this morning so it might be awhile before I can get to this. Maybe I can try to use my tablet, but I can't do much on it but read my books. I haven't forgotten you or ignored you, just using my work computer to type this and not sure when I'll get back on line again. Big 4 day weekend coming up with lots of blizzards forecast, so I'm not going anywhere soon.

aniroo
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section 23 pl ok :clap: :clap:

Very sad though :cry:

Aniroo
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Thank you for checking it through and I am very pleased that you managed to get your computer working again! I hate it when technology goes wrong, especially when we're SO reliant on it.

I agree that 23 is a very sad chapter to read through. I think Doodles can get past it though :) I haven't read forward yet, so I'm really hopefully it does get better for him!

Stay well, stay warm. That's what I'm doing at the moment and why I've not recorded 22. I've had the time now, but I have a horrendous cold... My eyes are running so much I look like a Picasso in a monsoon.

See ya soon,

J.
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010