[COMPLETE] Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Got Chapter 4 notes in:

1:30 – intolerable, heard interable

4:46 – I had a listen specifically to this line as you asked. I thought you did really well with it, my only suggestion would be that right now you have it as a pause between ‘thought it’ and ‘teased her’, and I would keep that together. This is an if/then statement (without the then), so if ‘he thought it teased her’, then ‘he would more frequently try Petruchio’s methods’. As you can see, these are two phrases being related (yet reading the phrase between the commas as one phrase if that makes sense). I don’t think it’s horrible if you skip correcting this.

10:36 – heard fortified vs forfeited

13:05 – ‘don’t you dare to do needlework’, ‘to’ missing but not a crucial edit

25:01 – missing word ‘say’
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Thanks, Campbell.
I'll fix the PL notes as soon as possible. :D
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,

Another quick update! I've recorded almost half of Chapter 5. I'll do my best to fix the PL Notes and finish Chapter 5.

What I wanted to talk about is that I across these following YouTube videos that I found them so helpful. But whether I can apply them or not is another matter. :lol:

Tips for reading fiction out loud:
Part 1: https://youtu.be/hg7xY_vLL54
Part 2: https://youtu.be/3GT9NbaogoE
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,

Chapter 5 is finally added to the MW, ready for your PL. Murder is in the next chapter.
lymiewithpurpose

I am so glad you got another one up! Things are really getting started, I am excited for the murder. My guess: Sanford is murdered by either Mason Elliot or Hendricks. I may change it later. Anyways, I was a bit picky on pronunciation this time, so the notes may be a lot. Don't be discouraged, this chapter seemed much harder than the others, I was googling pronunciations a lot! As always, don’t feel pressured to change everything.

0:41, 1:23, 1:26, 10:58: Ordinary – of course it is a very repeated word in this chapter, but to me I don’t hear the ‘d’ sound and it sounds more like ‘ornery’, which is a very different word

1:37, 12:43– both times necessitate/necessitated were missing syllables it should be ne-se-si-tate

2:26 – heard ‘discussed’ instead of ‘disgusted’

2:45 – heard ‘legimate’ instead lf ‘legitimate’ (missing the ‘ti’ in the middle)

6:09 – heard ‘pliminary’ instead of ‘preliminary’ (missing the ‘re’ sound at the beginning)

9:17 – heard ‘a small chance’ instead of ‘small chance’ (this may seem picky, but this is one instance where I think that the extra ‘a’ makes a large difference)

11:02 – heard ‘bacon’ instead of ‘beacon’ (beacon is pronounced beecon)

11:44 – heard ‘fry’ instead of ‘fray’ (fray has a hard a at the end)

12:06 – groping is pronounced with a hard o

12:13 – heard ‘well-remarked’ instead of ‘well-remembered’

13:21 – necessary should have inflection on ‘NE-ce-ssary’

13:34 – grating pronounced with a hard a

15:08 – advertised pronounced ‘AD-ver-tised’ with a hard i

24:35 – heard ‘sincerely’ instead of ‘serenely’

26:28 – colleague pronounced – ‘CAW-leeg’

30:47 – integral – pronounced ‘IN-te-gral’ ( here is the pronunciation I hear most often: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/integral)
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,
You are right about Sanford being murdered. But my lips will be sealed about the rest. :lol:

Don't worry about it. Thanks so much for your hard work. I'll do my best to correct them all along with Chapter 4. To be honest, I didn't know I've made so many mistakes for this time. I thought that the number of mistakes is decreasing with each chapter. :hmm:

I've recorded chapter 6 yesterday and will upload it now, I'll do my best to reduce the mistakes starting with chapter 7.

If you don't mind, I'd like to batch my mistakes in the future. Meaning, I'll correct two sections/chapters at a time.

EDIT: I've added the track length for chapters 5 & 6.
lymiewithpurpose

SaraHale wrote: November 25th, 2019, 11:25 am Hey Campbell,
You are right about Sanford being murdered. But my lips will be sealed about the rest. :lol:
Yes! I got half of it right. We'll see about the rest. I'm trying to see if I can get the murderer right once (I never have in all of my time reading).
SaraHale wrote: November 25th, 2019, 11:25 am Don't worry about it. Thanks so much for your hard work. I'll do my best to correct them all along with Chapter 4. To be honest, I didn't know I've made so many mistakes for this time. I thought that the number of mistakes is decreasing with each chapter.
Generally it has been! And I'm not only saying this to make you feel better, but it's true: this chapter was packed with wierd/tricky things, especially if English is not your first language. Like, why are necessary and necessitate pronounced differently/have different inflections? English is strange.
SaraHale wrote: November 25th, 2019, 11:25 am I've recorded chapter 6 yesterday and will upload it now, I'll do my best to reduce the mistakes starting with chapter 7.

If you don't mind, I'd like to batch my mistakes in the future. Meaning, I'll correct two sections/chapters at a time.

EDIT: I've added the track length for chapters 5 & 6.
Sounds good! I will listen when I get a chance (I may have to finish tomorrow). Exciting!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

I got through Chapter 6. Drama! I feel like Eunice is the only one with a motive and the opportunity, but it can't be her because she is too obvious and the main character. I will stick with my earlier guess until more info is provided. Anyways, here are the notes. I think it is less than last time, and most of these aren't pronunciation but misreads of the test. Also, I will try to get to my notes on the Lake Mystery soon but got a few more things added to my PL list so will have to wait a tad.

0:58 – associating pronounced a-SSOC-i-a-ting

3:36 – heard ‘wraps’ instead of ‘warps’, which is quite a difference

3:41 – heard ‘hilutin’ instead of ‘hifalutin’

4:55 – heard ‘is it tomorrow’ instead of ‘is tomorrow’

7:15 – heard ‘haphazard’ instead of ‘hazardous’

9:14 – chose – should be pronounced with a hard o (you pronounced it as choose)

10:29 – heard ‘stain’ instead of ‘satin’

13:03 – heard ‘un-unappreciated’

13:09 – peculiarity – make sure to get the first I sound in (pe-cu-li-ar-i-ty)

16:01 – heard ‘club’ instead of ‘cub’

20:55 – heard ‘with a’ instead of ‘with as’ (once again, one letter can make such a difference!)

27:26 – heard Mrs. instead of miss
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,
I've fixed all the errors. Please let me know what do you think? Oh, here are the sentences that I've changed.

Chapter 4
1:30 - Eunice found it intolerable to be cramped and pinched for small amounts of ready cash

4:46 - for she was well aware that if he thought it teased her

10:36 - but you have forfeited your right to approve or disapprove

13:05 - Don’t you dare to do needlework or anything that would make me look foolish.

25:01 - “So, ‘s I say, I read this piece that told just how to do it, and I set to work. You may think it’s funny, but the first step was working my forehead muscles.”

Chapter 5
0:41 - allows them to see straight down beneath an ordinary bandage

1:23/26 - However, this refers to ordinary blindfolding with an ordinary handkerchief.

10:58/11:02 - merely ordinary shoes, but to me they were as a flaming beacon light!

1:37 - it necessitates previous preparation

12:43 - This necessitated my turning back to Mr. Mortimer

2:26 - “I hate it—I’m absolutely disgusted with the whole performance! I detest practical jokes!”

2:45 - but it’s a legitimate game

6:09 - But it was that preliminary test

9:17 - but there is small chance of striking two pairs alike in any group of men

11:44 - to the fray

12:06/13 - So, groping about, clumsily, I managed to get sight of the toes of those well-remembered boots.

13:21 - as was necessary

13:34 - when I stumbled over a stone or nearly fell into a coal hole or grating, it was all pretense

15:08 - I wouldn’t mind, if you’d advertised it as a trick,”

24:35 - said the old lady, serenely

26:28 - colleague

30:47 - they’re an integral part of your nature

Chapter 6
0:54 - “That name is enough! Fancy your associating with a woman who calls herself Fifi!”

3:31 - “I am. Why shouldn’t I, when it warps my whole life—”

3:37 - “Oh, come, cut out the hifalutin’ talk!”

4:54 - Is to-night the club election?

7:13 - for it was the hazardous plan of winning at bridge.

9:10 - properly prepared to purchase some bits if she chose to

10:26 - in her low gown and her billowy satin wrap

13:02 - Cut the first "un"

13:07 - but this peculiarity of hers

16:00 - the cub was saying

20:54 - with as little disturbance as possible of the other players

27:26 - oh, Miss Eunice!

Thanks for all you do!!! :9:
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 4 is PL OK! I will get to the others when I can. Nice editing. By the way, I think it's awesome how you link to the notes in the MW. I can also help do that so you don't have to. Cool and helpful idea!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 5 is also OK! Seriously, how do you get your edits so smooth? I wouldn't know they were edits if I didn't know. Also, thanks for listing the sentences you changed. That is very helpful (but please don't feel like you need to do that extra work).
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 11:35 am Chapter 4 is PL OK! I will get to the others when I can. Nice editing. By the way, I think it's awesome how you link to the notes in the MW. I can also help do that so you don't have to. Cool and helpful idea!
Thanks so much!!! :9: Yeah, it's something that I've always wanted to do but didn't know-how then I tried the HTML code that we used on Goodreads and gave it a try. And it worked. I'm going to use it in all the projects.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:03 pm Chapter 5 is also OK! Seriously, how do you get your edits so smooth? I wouldn't know they were edits if I didn't know. Also, thanks for listing the sentences you changed. That is very helpful (but please don't feel like you need to do that extra work).
I'm so happy to hear that. I, too, was surprised by the edits. It's a dream came true. :9:

I guess it's because I'm using Speechling. Since I paid for the upgrade I try to record at least 10 sentences daily which I believe made me get used to the mic and not dread the recording and being afraid that I'm not clear. As I get nice feedback even though the coach would sometimes tell me that I pronounced a word wrong (which I didn't know that I did and they were some of the basics). I've also recorded all the errors on Speechling as well. I get feedback within 24 hours.

And finally, I keep saying that "done is better than perfect" and "I'm recording this for Campbell only". And that helped reduce the pressure that I put on myself every time I start recording.

It's no extra work at all, and I'd be happy to do it. :D I open the text and WordPad side by side and on top is audacity so it's no trouble at all. I use Auto Hot Keys to keep them on Top so the window won't be minimized if I switch to another. :thumbs:

Have a nice day! :D
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 6 is OK!
SaraHale wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm I'm so happy to hear that. I, too, was surprised by the edits. It's a dream came true.
Well whatever it is, impressive!
SaraHale wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm I guess it's because I'm using Speechling. Since I paid for the upgrade I try to record at least 10 sentences daily which I believe made me get used to the mic and not dread the recording and being afraid that I'm not clear. As I get nice feedback even though the coach would sometimes tell me that I pronounced a word wrong (which I didn't know that I did and they were some of the basics). I've also recorded all the errors on Speechling as well. I get feedback within 24 hours.
Wow, that's a good goal. I am so glad that you're getting good feedback. I'm so glad you're getting good help! Speechling sounds very useful, and the coaches seem prompt.
SaraHale wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm And finally, I keep saying that "done is better than perfect" and "I'm recording this for Campbell only". And that helped reduce the pressure that I put on myself every time I start recording.
Very true, and I love it, so that's a good mindset! And you definitely are doing great recordings.
SaraHale wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm It's no extra work at all, and I'd be happy to do it. I open the text and WordPad side by side and on top is audacity so it's no trouble at all. I use Auto Hot Keys to keep them on Top so the window won't be minimized if I switch to another.
Wow, that is very smart. And that does mean it is simple.
SaraHale wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:12 pm Thanks so much!!! Yeah, it's something that I've always wanted to do but didn't know-how then I tried the HTML code that we used on Goodreads and gave it a try. And it worked. I'm going to use it in all the projects.
I think it is all HTML based. I'm a bit rusty on HTML, so it will be good to get back into it, even if it is only a few commands.

Anyways, can't wait for more!
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm Chapter 6 is OK!
Thanks, Campbell. :9:
lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm Well whatever it is, impressive!
Another thing that I do to make the editing smooth, is to listen and repeat (imitate) a part of what I said then continue the rest of the sentence. You know how we get a preview with Punch and Roll, I don't only listen to it but say it out loud to have a similar voice as I can.

When I fix PL errors, I always like to say a couple of words before and after the word that I want to correct to make it less obvious that I recorded that part later. I hope you'll find these tips helpful when you get to record.
lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm Wow, that's a good goal. I am so glad that you're getting good feedback. I'm so glad you're getting good help! Speechling sounds very useful, and the coaches seem prompt.
I'm so HAPPY with the experience. There are 2 coaches and both of them are AMAZING people.
lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm Very true, and I love it, so that's a good mindset! And you definitely are doing great recordings.
Thanks so much!! :9:
lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm Wow, that is very smart. And that does mean it is simple.
Yes, it is. And I'll make sure to include the timestamps when I re-upload any section.
lymiewithpurpose wrote: November 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm I think it is all HTML based. I'm a bit rusty on HTML, so it will be good to get back into it, even if it is only a few commands.

Anyways, can't wait for more!
I don't use HTML frequently. But when I need to test something, I use this website (https://www.w3schools.com/).

Well, I've uploaded Chapter 7. And hopefully, chapter 8 will be uploaded next week. Today, I added "Natural Reader Text to Speech" to practice future chapters before I record them to decrease my mistakes.