[COMPLETE] Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

SaraHale wrote: September 8th, 2019, 10:26 am I don't know how that happened. But I'll always update you through a post.
Strange, and I know you're usually good about that. I had thought maybe you had forgotten to hit 'submit' or something (I do that a ton). Glad it's figured out.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 8th, 2019, 10:53 am Strange, and I know you're usually good about that. I had thought maybe you had forgotten to hit 'submit' or something (I do that a ton). Glad it's figured out.
Yeah, anyway, I'll always post here when I upload or correct a file.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,

I've fixed chapter 2 and uploaded chapter 3. Let me know what do you think? Is there any improvement?
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:32 am Yeah, editing is no fun. Do you use the punch and roll method? For me it pretty much eliminates editing time, as I edit while recording. So for a 30 minute section, it takes me 60 minutes maximum. That being said, as I think I've mentioned, I only listen to snippets of the end result to make sure it sounds ok. Even with this method, I find I make less mistakes than recording and editing. Hopefully that makes sense! Good luck with editing!
Yes, I use the punch and roll method. Sure, it helps so much but still, it takes me forever to finish a section. I have to prepare the section and even though I would make mistakes. Plus, I tend to have mouth clicks and I do remove them manually. I did try De-clicker but it sometimes affects the recording.

I'd be more than happy if the whole process won't take me more than 90 minutes.

I'll see how everything will go with chapter 4.
lymiewithpurpose

SaraHale wrote: September 11th, 2019, 7:34 am I've fixed chapter 2
Nice work! The only two things I didn't hear a change on were ‘fo-gee-ish’ and 'seers', but I don't think they're too important to change. I'll try to get around to chapter 3.
SaraHale wrote: September 11th, 2019, 7:42 am Sure, it helps so much but still, it takes me forever to finish a section. I have to prepare the section and even though I would make mistakes. Plus, I tend to have mouth clicks and I do remove them manually. I did try De-clicker but it sometimes affects the recording.
Ah, I understand that. Sometimes I fly through a section, others I can't seem to get a sentence out. I also have mouth clicks, but I do use the de-clicker and have found that it doesn't impact my recording too much. Maybe you could try different settings? Good luck.
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 12th, 2019, 5:09 pm Nice work! The only two things I didn't hear a change on were ‘fo-gee-ish’ and 'seers', but I don't think they're too important to change. I'll try to get around to chapter 3.
Thanks! I did try to change 'Fo-gee-ish' but I guess I ended up saying it like before. :lol: As for 'seers', I did miss correcting this one (sorry) but I've looked it up now and it turns out to be a correct word. Link: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/seer?s=t
lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 12th, 2019, 5:09 pm Ah, I understand that. Sometimes I fly through a section, others I can't seem to get a sentence out. I also have mouth clicks, but I do use the de-clicker and have found that it doesn't impact my recording too much. Maybe you could try different settings? Good luck.
:hmm: Maybe I should give the De-clicker another try.

By the way, I skimmed through Chapter 4, and Petruchio will be mentioned again. I hope I'll be able to pronounce his name correctly this round. How should it be pronounced? I checked Google Translate and it's pronounced like this https://translate.google.com.eg/?hl=en&tab=TT&authuser=0#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=ja&text=Petruchio

It didn't occur to me before to check it on LV. :oops: And I was searching for a video summary of the play on Sparknotes. :lol:

I hope you'll enjoy Chapter 3. I'll do my best to not to take too much with Chapter 4. :D

I've also found this website https://vocaroo.com/ that people on Reddit use for getting feedback on their pronunciation. Maybe we can use it for words that we can't find online. I'm using it for Arabic PL work. BUT feel free not to use it. :D
lymiewithpurpose

SaraHale wrote: September 13th, 2019, 4:44 am As for 'seers', I did miss correcting this one (sorry) but I've looked it up now and it turns out to be a correct word
I'm going to go into a bit of detail here because I can't help arguing :cry:. As it is used in the book, "Through a building he had never seers before", 'seers' here is used as a verb (the only type of word that I could see fitting in here would be 'seen', 'been', 'heard', 'lived', etc. (although obviously some of those wouldn't fit in the context. While seer is a word, it is a noun, and seers would just be a plural noun, which would not fit in there. Again, I don't think you need to fix it though, maybe it is intentional and an intentional slip up by Mortimer. I guess we'll never know.
SaraHale wrote: September 13th, 2019, 4:44 am Maybe I should give the De-clicker another try.
I'm sure there is some helpful video somewhere that shows different settings?
By the way, I skimmed through Chapter 4, and Petruchio will be mentioned again. I hope I'll be able to pronounce his name correctly this round. How should it be pronounced? I checked Google Translate and it's pronounced like this https://translate.google.com.eg/?hl=en&tab=TT&authuser=0#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=ja&text=Petruchio
I am thinking that Google Translate made a mistake here (it's pronunciations are often far from accurate), and read it literally. Every time I've seen a play with Petruchio, the 'ch' is always pronounced as a k sound. I googled how to pronounce it, and the best result I found was:
https://youglish.com/search/Petruchio/uk (a bunch of videos with different people saying it, click the green button at the bottom to go to the next video).

In addition, Petruchio's character was set in Italy, and I learned that the Italian 'ch' is pronounced with a 'k' sound. So I would go with the k personally, you have no obligation to though.
SaraHale wrote: September 13th, 2019, 4:44 am I've also found this website https://vocaroo.com/ that people on Reddit use for getting feedback on their pronunciation. Maybe we can use it for words that we can't find online. I'm using it for Arabic PL work. BUT feel free not to use it.
I bookmarked it! I'm sure I'll use it at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 13th, 2019, 7:47 am I'm going to go into a bit of detail here because I can't help arguing :cry:. As it is used in the book, "Through a building he had never seers before", 'seers' here is used as a verb (the only type of word that I could see fitting in here would be 'seen', 'been', 'heard', 'lived', etc. (although obviously some of those wouldn't fit in the context. While seer is a word, it is a noun, and seers would just be a plural noun, which would not fit in there. Again, I don't think you need to fix it though, maybe it is intentional and an intentional slip up by Mortimer. I guess we'll never know.
That's totally fine! I like to know your opinion.

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 13th, 2019, 7:47 am I'm sure there is some helpful video somewhere that shows different settings?
Yeah, I'll check videos for sure. I also guess I need to enunciate the words so the De-clicker won't affect the recording.

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 13th, 2019, 7:47 am I am thinking that Google Translate made a mistake here (it's pronunciations are often far from accurate), and read it literally. Every time I've seen a play with Petruchio, the 'ch' is always pronounced as a k sound. I googled how to pronounce it, and the best result I found was:
https://youglish.com/search/Petruchio/uk (a bunch of videos with different people saying it, click the green button at the bottom to go to the next video).

In addition, Petruchio's character was set in Italy, and I learned that the Italian 'ch' is pronounced with a 'k' sound. So I would go with the k personally, you have no obligation to though.
Thank you so much!!! :9: :9: :9:
lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 13th, 2019, 7:47 am I bookmarked it! I'm sure I'll use it at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.
You're welcome. Thank you for all your hard work. I appreciate it.
lymiewithpurpose

Got a chance to listen to Chapter 3. Poor Aunt Embury will be so sad. Anyways, random question, but did you upload a second version of it? I'm pretty sure I listened to a version that was 32:37 and I accidentally refreshed it and it was 32:31... did you change anything?

Here are my notes, some of them are pretty picky and you can ignore:
2:48 – ‘I must ask of you sir’, of missing
4:52 – ‘Walked toward Broad Street’, heard down instead of toward
5:22 – ‘now impeding his progress and now almost pushing him along’, impeding pronounced with a hard e
9:27 – ‘some skeptical bystanders’, heard spectical instead of septical
11:17 – ‘thrusting the toe of his show tentatively forward’, heard tentively vs ten-ta-tive-ly
31:05 – ‘soon he was willingly agreeing’ heard willing instead of willingly

As for constructive criticism, I think everything was great! Nice work.
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 13th, 2019, 2:36 pm Got a chance to listen to Chapter 3. Poor Aunt Embury will be so sad. Anyways, random question, but did you upload a second version of it? I'm pretty sure I listened to a version that was 32:37 and I accidentally refreshed it and it was 32:31... did you change anything?
:hmm: Which Chapter? I don't come near the MW after uploading a new section. But I remember updating Chapter 1 and 2 to match the track length after correcting them. Okay, from now on, I'll let you know the length as I tell you to check the chapters that I've uploaded/corrected.

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 13th, 2019, 2:36 pm Here are my notes, some of them are pretty picky and you can ignore:
2:48 – ‘I must ask of you sir’, of missing
4:52 – ‘Walked toward Broad Street’, heard down instead of toward
5:22 – ‘now impeding his progress and now almost pushing him along’, impeding pronounced with a hard e
9:27 – ‘some skeptical bystanders’, heard spectical instead of septical
11:17 – ‘thrusting the toe of his show tentatively forward’, heard tentively vs ten-ta-tive-ly
31:05 – ‘soon he was willingly agreeing’ heard willing instead of willingly

As for constructive criticism, I think everything was great! Nice work.
Thank you so much! I've corrected them. Now, chapter 3 is 32:33.
lymiewithpurpose

SaraHale wrote: September 14th, 2019, 5:49 am Which Chapter? I don't come near the MW after uploading a new section. But I remember updating Chapter 1 and 2 to match the track length after correcting them. Okay, from now on, I'll let you know the length as I tell you to check the chapters that I've uploaded/corrected.
It wasn't in the MW... you know when you click that link that says 'listen' and it takes you to a page where it also shows the time? Well I refreshed it and the time changed.. I guess I was seeing something wrong. Sorry.
SaraHale wrote: September 14th, 2019, 5:49 am Thank you so much! I've corrected them. Now, chapter 3 is 32:33.
Nice work, corrections were fabulous.
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 14th, 2019, 4:49 pm It wasn't in the MW... you know when you click that link that says 'listen' and it takes you to a page where it also shows the time? Well I refreshed it and the time changed.. I guess I was seeing something wrong. Sorry.
Got it! That's okay.
lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 14th, 2019, 4:49 pm Nice work, corrections were fabulous.
Thanks so much!!! I've recorded Chapter 4. It took me 1 hour and 44 minutes to record. There were a lot of traffic noises today that I had to pause a lot. I hope the editing won't take a long time. :mrgreen:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,

I've managed to finish Chapter 4 (29:17). I hope you'll enjoy it. WARNING: Be careful while listening to this chapter and make sure that the headphones are in a low volume. As Elliott said, Sandford and Eunice had "a real, honest-to-goodness, cats’-and-dogs’ quarrel." :lol:

Also, I'm not sure how I should record this sentence: :help:

@04m:46 - This annoyed Eunice far more than she let him know, for she was well aware that if he thought it teased her, he would more frequently try Petruchio’s methods.

Have an awesome day! :D
lymiewithpurpose

SaraHale wrote: September 16th, 2019, 4:45 am @04m:46 - This annoyed Eunice far more than she let him know, for she was well aware that if he thought it teased her, he would more frequently try Petruchio’s methods.
I'll try to listen when I get a chance! I'll pay attention to this line in particular and give you my thoughts.
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 16th, 2019, 8:19 am
SaraHale wrote: September 16th, 2019, 4:45 am @04m:46 - This annoyed Eunice far more than she let him know, for she was well aware that if he thought it teased her, he would more frequently try Petruchio’s methods.
I'll try to listen when I get a chance! I'll pay attention to this line in particular and give you my thoughts.
Thanks! And please take your time.