[COMPLETE] The History Of The Devil by Daniel Defoe-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Hey guys! I'm sorry to have to do this, but I have to relinquish my PL duties for this project since school has started and I am very busy!

Thanks for understanding,

Elsie Selwyn
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

No problems. Good luck and have fun.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
mhnewell

Post by mhnewell »

I'd like to raise my hand for Section 5.

Question, how are other readers handling parts like:
lib. v. fol. 137
see lib. x. fo. 194
Dr. B——s

Thank you!

Matthew
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mhnewell wrote: September 15th, 2019, 3:43 pm I'd like to raise my hand for Section 5.

Question, how are other readers handling parts like:
lib. v. fol. 137
see lib. x. fo. 194
Dr. B——s

Thank you!

Matthew
I don't remember running into this sort of thing with the readings I have done. That is, so far!

We'll have to wait for guidance from the BC, but I would take a little bit of a liberty and say, for instance: Paradise Lost, Book 6, Page 174 for "Par. Lost. lib. vi. fo. 174." To make it very proper you could say "Liber 6, Folio 174."

For that matter, I think you would be safe in simply saying "Book 6" as we would not be using Defoe's text anyway were we to look for the passage. (Well, it's darn unlikely.)

"Dear B_____s" would be "Dear B blank s."
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hay Mathew, section 5 is all yours. Kevin, thanks for stepping in. To tell you the truth I did not know myself. Dear B. S is inicials so please say dear B S not B blank S. You have to make sure people understand that these are inicials only.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

miss stav wrote: September 16th, 2019, 6:28 am Hay Mathew, section 5 is all yours. Kevin, thanks for stepping in. To tell you the truth I did not know myself. Dear B. S is inicials so please say dear B S not B blank S. You have to make sure people understand that these are inicials only.
I'm sorry to disagree, but I don't believe these are initials. The text is with a capital 'B' and a small 's.' I only bring this up because to read 'B.S.' will sound silly as it stands for something else in today's time. Also, Defoe would be careful to hide his joking behind these blanks. To use initials would perhaps too clearly mark whom he was 'not' identifying. Again, my apologies.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I don't know what B. s means today. I am not in an English speaking country. But ok, I trust your judgement.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

miss stav wrote: September 16th, 2019, 9:57 am I don't know what B. s means today. I am not in an English speaking country. But ok, I trust your judgement.
I will pm you, though I will warn you that it is a crudity.
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Huge huge thanks. Would you like to read more from this book?
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

miss stav wrote: September 26th, 2019, 1:38 pm Huge huge thanks. Would you like to read more from this book?
I'll be on vacation a few days, but when I return sure I'll take a look at reading some more.
“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon
mhnewell

Post by mhnewell »

Section 5 is ready for review!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/historyofthedevil_5_defoe_128kb.mp3
Run time: 28:50

Matthew
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot. Want to read more sections from this book?
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

miss stav wrote: September 26th, 2019, 1:38 pm Huge huge thanks. Would you like to read more from this book?
I don't see anybody assigned to section 5 but the last few posts show it was read so I could go forward with sections 8 and 9 if available...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That was my fault - I missed Elsie resigning, I'll see about getting a new DPL. I've allocated you 8 & 9

Anne