COMPLETE [DRAM READ] Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

linny wrote: May 9th, 2019, 6:05 am MaryAnne,
For now do you think it would be best to remove the sticky from the listeners wanted? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73988
Done!
M.A.
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 2:06 pm PL for chapter 4:
0:30 Raskolnikov line TEXT: Mr. Luzhin be damned! AUDIO: The name Luzhin pronounced as Lurin, same around 2:25, 3:49, 4:26, 6:26, 7:08, 8:08, 8:49, 9:27, 11:37, 12:02
Raskolnikov line TEXT "Dounia" pronounced as "Donia" throughout (will add timestamps tomorrow if you want).
4:43 Raskolnikov live TEXT: Pay for you tabacco AUDIO: Pay for you OWN tabacco.
6:07 Raskolnikov live TEXT: Afanasy Ivanovitch AUDIO: Afanasy IVAN Ivanovitch
8:59 Raskolnikov live TEXT: Yes, there is no denying AUDIO: Yet there is no deying
10:36 Raskolnikov live TEXT: Radion AUDIO: Rodion
Perhaps I should just start over and re-record the whole part. Apparently I screwed up three of the names in my pronunciation chart (and counting), and i can't see any other way. "Lurin" and "Donia" were the notes that I had on those names.
linny

Post by linny »

I'm sorry I've been away for so long. I got really sick but I'm back home and will be getting caught up here over the weekend.
linny

Post by linny »

MaryAnn,
What do you think of name pronunciation in DRs? I don't correct for pronunciation, since that is standard PL policy, but maybe for DR's it's more picky. The pronunciation is consistent throughout the role.

This role is really big and I wouldn't want to promote recording again without input.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well,

The first post says:
BC and Narrator: HoosierMary
DPL: carteki and HoosierMary
Editor: Kristingj (after 2016) and HoosierMary (until then)

We have a pronunciation guide kindly provided by tovarisch. Please consult it for your character's name and any others you say so that we may keep name pronunciations consistent.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/crimeandpunishment_dostoevsky_pronunciationguide.mp3

Names are recorded in alphabetical order to help you more easily find the one you're looking for. In cases where a character's last name is known, the name is alphabetized by the last name. All others are listed by first name. Note that a patronymic (ie Ivanovna, Petrovitch, etc) is not a last name. Here is the list of names included in the pronunciation guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vuc-XDJ5ZUDus2fmUvPm3nLaYpGjxr4RnMCfF0ZB0lA/edit?usp=sharing

karlkuzmich and Tovarisch have kindly offered to answer any questions regarding name pronunciation.
That said, I know that for myself, I will never be able to pronounce a Russian name/word like a native speaker, so the pronunciation guide is a help, but as long as it is close to what's in the pronunciation guide and consistent, I would personally let it go.

We are on year 4 of this project and Russian names are difficult . . .

MaryAnn
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

linny

Post by linny »

pyledriver wrote: July 13th, 2019, 11:32 am The requested patches for chapter 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/crimeandpunishment_raskolnikov_04_patches.mp3
Thank you. I'm just returning from hospital duty. All went well but I'm tired. I'll get back in the swing of things soon.
linny

Post by linny »

I've been away. My other projects are caught up so I'll be getting back to editing here. I PMed TJ about her 2 chapters for Katerina Ivanovna Marmeladova.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Linny!
MaryAnn
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here's Katerina Ivanovna, Chapter 28:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/crimeandpunishment_katerinaivanovna_28.mp3 (12:42)

I know some of you have been working on this for 4 years and you just want to get it done, but I have some suggestions. Usually you have Katerina and Amalia read paraphrased sections (that are indirect quotes), but in the final scene in this chapter in which Amalia and Katerina get into a big argument, Amalia's paraphrased lines are read by Amalia, but Katerina's lines are read by the narrator. I think it would be more dramatic if Katerina's lines are read by Katerina. I found some other lines throughout the chapter that are Katerina's comments, but are not attributed to Katerina in the color coding. I have recorded them and listed them below. The times listed are from my Katerina file above. (There are no changes for Amalia and the narrator's lines could just be edited, except the narrator's line on page 8 "she added almost aloud" -- that still needs to be recorded and inserted in narrator's file at circa 11:57.

Chapter 28 Color Coding Change Suggestions

Page 2:

Narrator: She was heartily sick of him before the end, though
she had declared at first that she

00:36
Katerina Ivanovna: could not have got on without this "serviceable and magnanimous man."

Page 8

Narrator: …The message from Pyotr Petrovitch was very successful. Listening to Sonia with dignity, Katerina Ivanovna inquired with equal dignity how Pyotr Petrovitch was, then at once whispered almost aloud to Raskolnikov that

05:49
Katerina Ivanovna: it certainly would have been strange for a man of Pyotr Petrovitch's position and standing to find himself in such "extraordinary company,"

06:03
Katerina Ivanovna: "That's why I am so grateful to you, Rodion Romanovitch, that you have not disdained my hospitality, even in such surroundings,"

Narrator: she added almost aloud.

Katerina Ivanovna: "But I am sure that it was only your special affection for my poor husband that has made you keep your promise."

Page 11:

Narrator: Though Katerina Ivanovna smiled, she observed at once that

08:45
Katerina Ivanovna: Amalia Ivanovna ought not to tell anecdotes in Russian;

Narrator: the latter was still more offended, and she retorted that her

Page 13:

Narrator: Katerina Ivanovna at once "set her down," saying that

11:24
Katerina Ivanovna: it was a lie to say she wished her good, because only yesterday when her dead husband was lying on the table, she had worried her about the lodgings.

Page 14:

Narrator: Katerina Ivanovna at once pointed out to her, that

11:38
Katerina Ivanovna: as she was a slut she could not judge what made one really a lady.

Narrator: Amalia Ivanovna at once declared that her

Amalia Ivanovna: " Vater aus Berlin was a very, very important man, and both hands in pockets went, and always used to say: 'Poof! poof!'"

Narrator: and she leapt up from the table to represent her father, sticking her hands in her pockets, puffing her cheeks, and uttering vague sounds resembling "poof! poof!" amid loud laughter from all the lodgers, who purposely encouraged Amalia Ivanovna, hoping for a fight.

But this was too much for Katerina Ivanovna, and she at once declared, so that all could hear, that

11:46
Katerina Ivanovna: Amalia Ivanovna probably never had a father, but was simply a drunken Petersburg Finn, and had certainly once been a cook and probably something worse.

Narrator: Amalia Ivanovna turned as red as a lobster and squealed that perhaps Katerina Ivanovna never had a father, but she had

Amalia Ivanovna: "a Vater aus Berlin and that he wore a long coat and always said poof-poof-poof!"

Narrator: Katerina Ivanovna observed contemptuously that

11:59
Katerina Ivanovna: all knew what her family was and that on that very certificate of honour it was stated in print that her father was a colonel, while Amalia Ivanovna's father—if she really had one—was probably some Finnish milkman, but that probably she never had a father at all, since it was still uncertain whether her name was Amalia Ivanovna or Amalia Ludwigovna.

Narrator: At this Amalia Ivanovna, lashed to fury, struck the table with her fist, and shrieked that she was Amalia Ivanovna, and not Ludwigovna,

Amalia Ivanovna: "that her Vater was named Johann and that he was a burgomeister, and that Katerina Ivanovna's Vater was quite never a burgomeister."
linny

Post by linny »

Wow! Thank you TJ! :clap:
benderca

Post by benderca »

linny wrote: September 17th, 2019, 7:16 am Wow! Thank you TJ! :clap:
Thanks, Linny! If you decide you want to use some of my suggestions, I'd be happy to help edit them into the narrator's file.
linny

Post by linny »

benderca wrote: September 17th, 2019, 8:11 am
Thanks, Linny! If you decide you want to use some of my suggestions, I'd be happy to help edit them into the narrator's file.
Thank you for the offer but editing will give me something distracting to do. My husband is preparing to deploy again. We don't have a date yet but it's looking like another week or so.
linny

Post by linny »

My husbands departs on the 7th. I'll get caught up on editing here once he leaves.
benderca

Post by benderca »

linny wrote: September 17th, 2019, 8:22 am
benderca wrote: September 17th, 2019, 8:11 am
Thank you for the offer but editing will give me something distracting to do. My husband is preparing to deploy again. We don't have a date yet but it's looking like another week or so.
Oh, that must be tough for you both. I can see how LibriVox might be a good distraction.