COMPLETE [Semi-autobiographical fiction] The Conquest (The Story of a Negro Pioneer) by Oscar Micheaux - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
larryhayes7

Post by larryhayes7 »

PhyllisV wrote: September 10th, 2019, 11:14 am Would also like to claim sections 8 - 12. Really enjoying this one!
If you look back a few I had claimed chapter 8 yesterday :)
drlyndon

Post by drlyndon »

Thanks Lynda,

This has been a learning experience. I have dumped GB and am now using Audacity. The Checker was excellent and I adjusted the volume as per your instructions and it passed. Thanks for the nice comments too. I look forward to doing more recordings and hopefully without all the issues :)

Lyndon

Lmnei wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:31 am Hi Lyndon -

I listened to your recording and it is excellent with no mistakes and you definitely have made the fixes for the time in front and end.

There is only one issue now and it is too loud :( With the target range of (86–92 dB) your volume is 94.2 dB. I know this must be frustrating to hear!

However it is really easy to fix and I also have a tool which I am presuming someone has not passed along to you so you can check it yourself.

So, first to fix it, please open the recording in Audacity and then go to Effect > Amplify (I know sounds strange) and enter (minus) -5 in the top field. If you are not using Audacity, you will need to figure out what the field is in your software. Now export the file as you have done before. Now, prior to uploading I am going to get you to test it, assuming you are on a PC.

Here is the Checker utility which we use to check recorded files for lots of things such as technical settings and also volume. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker It was written by a LV volunteer. So open the Checker and then go to File > Check Files and see what it says about your newly saved file. It should say Passed to the right of it. If it says Passed with Warnings, then look at the Validation Tab to find out what the warning is and also (as it will probably be volume) the lower half of the Information Tab where the volume is listed. You are aiming for 89 dB or really anything in the validation range of 86-92 dB at this point in time.

When it gets as pass, then please send the link back to us along with the time (which really should not have changed). If you cannot use the Checker for some reason, that is okay, just send the file back after you have reduced it by the 5dB and I can tell you how you are doing.

You are almost done!

As for whether you should ask for more Chapters, ultimately that is up to you, however you have a REALLY GOOD recorded voice and what you have gone through are just learning pains with LV - once you know how to correct these very minor issues that I have found and if you can use the Checker, your edits to your recordings, if any are needed, will get faster.
I personally think you should ask for a couple more Chapters as I really enjoyed listening to your reading!
drlyndon

Post by drlyndon »

drlyndon

Post by drlyndon »

Hi Can I take 8 and 9?

8: Far Down the Pacific--The Proposal
9: The Return--Ernest Nicholson

Lyndon
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Wahoo!!! You are now PL OK! Congrats for not blowing my earphones out of my ears this time :)

Have an awesome evening Lyndon! MaryAnn will be along and assign the recordings to you.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'd like to claim sections 8 and 9, please :)
Kathrine
drlyndon

Post by drlyndon »

Hi Can I take 8 and 9?

Lyndon
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

drlyndon wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:04 pm Hi Can I take 8 and 9?

Lyndon
Hi Lyndon -

You claimed 8 and 9 in this post yesterday. If you look back a couple of posts, you will see that larryhayes7 on September 9th, 2019, 5:14 (my time) requested Section 8 and 13. Those will be assigned to him. SO, Lyndon, Section 9 is yours. Would you like Section 10 also? I will put you down for it and let MaryAnn know if you want to keep it or not.

Katherine - you asked for the the same sections as Lyndon. Following on the same logic - would you like 11 and 12? Again, I will put you down for those two and please let MaryAnn know if you want them or not.

It seems that MaryAnn is away right now. We are all volunteers as you know and sometimes people are not online every day/night to update the forums.

The most important thing to remember is NOT to start recording until the Sections are assigned to you in the MW. Trust me, I have run into this a couple of times and recorded before being assigned and run into trouble as I did not notice that someone had spoken for the Section prior to me requesting it!

Have a good night -
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Hi - I had requested sections 8 - 12 on the 10th. It sounds like 8 had been claimed already - can you tell me if I will be doing 9 - 12? Thanksl
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

It looks like 9 - 12 have been assigned elsewhere. Can I then have 13 - 17?
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Lmnei wrote: September 11th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Lyndon
Hi Lyndon -

You claimed 8 and 9 in this post yesterday. If you look back a couple of posts, you will see that larryhayes7 on September 9th, 2019, 5:14 (my time) requested Section 8 and 13. Those will be assigned to him. SO, Lyndon, Section 9 is yours. Would you like Section 10 also? I will put you down for it and let MaryAnn know if you want to keep it or not.

Katherine - you asked for the the same sections as Lyndon. Following on the same logic - would you like 11 and 12? Again, I will put you down for those two and please let MaryAnn know if you want them or not.

It seems that MaryAnn is away right now. We are all volunteers as you know and sometimes people are not online every day/night to update the forums.

The most important thing to remember is NOT to start recording until the Sections are assigned to you in the MW. Trust me, I have run into this a couple of times and recorded before being assigned and run into trouble as I did not notice that someone had spoken for the Section prior to me requesting it!

Have a good night -
I had asked for 8 - 12 on the 10th, but it looks like those sections were assigned elsewhere. Can I claim sections 13 - 17?
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

PhyllisV wrote: September 12th, 2019, 7:44 am

Lyndon
Hi Lyndon -

Have a good night -
I had asked for 8 - 12 on the 10th, but it looks like those sections were assigned elsewhere. Can I claim sections 13 - 17?
I am VERY sorry Phyllis! Now, Larry Hayes did ask for Section 8 before you so that is his but you are absolutely correct, you did ask for 9-12 prior to Lyndon and Katherine. If you are willing to record 14 (as Larry Hayes asked for 13 prior to you) to 18 instead that would be fine or I will undo the assignments I did last night with a HUGE apology to Lyndon and Katherine and assign 9, 10, 11 and 12 to you. Your choice.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Lmnei wrote: September 12th, 2019, 12:41 pm
PhyllisV wrote: September 12th, 2019, 7:44 am

Hi Lyndon -

Have a good night -
I am VERY sorry Phyllis! Now, Larry Hayes did ask for Section 8 before you so that is his but you are absolutely correct, you did ask for 9-12 prior to Lyndon and Katherine. If you are willing to record 14 (as Larry Hayes asked for 13 prior to you) to 18 instead that would be fine or I will undo the assignments I did last night with a HUGE apology to Lyndon and Katherine and assign 9, 10, 11 and 12 to you. Your choice.
14 - 18 works - thank you!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks very much Phyllis - they are so assigned now :)