A fan-blown heater and audio volume

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I prefer to pose these questions later in the week so you all will have something to laugh about during your recreation time, but this one is more mystery than amusing.

I run my computer and a heater (which keeps my feet warm through the autumn and winter and spring and parts of the Wisconsin summer) from the same plug-in device. I think they call it a block. (Really? Maybe I'm making that up.) It has some kind of protection from power surges.

Anyway, when I am PLing something and wish to turn off the heater, I do so, and the volume of the recording goes up considerably. Considerably.

I am mystified.

EDIT: It is a power strip!
Last edited by KevinS on September 12th, 2019, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

I'd hazard a guess that what you're hearing is an example of Ohm's Law in action, Kevin. Most electrical heaters cause a very large current to flow in a power cord, which has the effect of reducing the voltage at your power strip, hence to your computer, affecting the audio volume. Running the heater from another wall outlet should solve the problem. On the other hand, maybe it's just mischievous cyber imps playing tricks. :D

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

k5hsj wrote: September 9th, 2019, 7:55 pm I'd hazard a guess that what you're hearing is an example of Ohm's Law in action, Kevin. Most electrical heaters cause a very large current to flow in a power cord, which has the effect of reducing the voltage at your power strip, hence to your computer, affecting the audio volume. Running the heater from another wall outlet should solve the problem. On the other hand, maybe it's just mischievous cyber imps playing tricks. :D

Winston
You and this Ohm fellow must be geniuses!

I will address the wiring tomorrow morning when there is more light in my study.

Thank you!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Resistance is futile.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

philchenevert wrote: September 9th, 2019, 8:22 pm Resistance is futile.
Oh so subtly clever. :lol: I love it.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Please don't encourage Phil. We need to keep him ... grounded.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

A fan heater sucks the air out of the room and reduces the pressure on your eardrums and so you are unable to hear as well. You think it's electrical or the output amp, but it's also lack of oxygen. It's also psychological because the lack of oxygen makes you light headed as if you had consumed 7 shots of brandy. It can get to the point after several hours where it reduces the oxygen level in the blood to the extent that you can start floating and hallucinating and this is where sometimes readers start making up the story (which often sounds better than the original) - and then often the electrons in the recorder start to mate with the electrons in your body and a pseudo psychological event occurs where you decide to run for President/Prime Minister, often successfully as witnessed by several current examples, where the storytelling gets to a crescendo and is seen in vivid colours, and where the hair or wig stand on end and changes colour every ten seconds. People in this condition then resort to writing on social media where the storytelling takes on unbelievable proportions, but is in fact readily believed by some of the population who come out with weird chants and hold up placards with strange writings which can go to prove that they are insane.

The only cure is to drink 10 gallons of very cold water laced with honey, and stand on your head for seven hours, chanting Ohm's law in Arabic, whilst eating a cucumber sandwich followed by cold rice pudding (approx. 2 Kilos worth i.e. 4.2 lbs), and reciting from memory the complete works of William Shakespeare in the original old English. This also helps.

Hope this will cure the problem.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

KevinS wrote: September 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm Please don't encourage Phil. We need to keep him ... grounded.
I try to stay current.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lurcherlover wrote: September 10th, 2019, 6:31 am A fan heater sucks the air out of the room and reduces the pressure on your eardrums and so you are unable to hear as well. You think it's electrical or the output amp, but it's also lack of oxygen. It's also psychological because the lack of oxygen makes you light headed as if you had consumed 7 shots of brandy. It can get to the point after several hours where it reduces the oxygen level in the blood to the extent that you can start floating and hallucinating and this is where sometimes readers start making up the story (which often sounds better than the original) - and then often the electrons in the recorder start to mate with the electrons in your body and a pseudo psychological event occurs where you decide to run for President/Prime Minister, often successfully as witnessed by several current examples, where the storytelling gets to a crescendo and is seen in vivid colours, and where the hair or wig stand on end and changes colour every ten seconds. People in this condition then resort to writing on social media where the storytelling takes on unbelievable proportions, but is in fact readily believed by some of the population who come out with weird chants and hold up placards with strange writings which can go to prove that they are insane.

The only cure is to drink 10 gallons of very cold water laced with honey, and stand on your head for seven hours, chanting Ohm's law in Arabic, whilst eating a cucumber sandwich followed by cold rice pudding (approx. 2 Kilos worth i.e. 4.2 lbs), and reciting from memory the complete works of William Shakespeare in the original old English. This also helps.

Hope this will cure the problem.
Hhahahah!

I LOVE rice pudding! (But maybe not that much.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: September 10th, 2019, 6:42 am
KevinS wrote: September 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm Please don't encourage Phil. We need to keep him ... grounded.
I try to stay current.
I, as you know, prefer an alternator reality.
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

k5hsj wrote: September 9th, 2019, 7:55 pm On the other hand, maybe it's just mischievous cyber imps playing tricks. :D
Seems like those imps have hijacked this thread. :lol:
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock