COMPLETE - Compilation of Lectures: Russian Realities and Problems - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.2 PL OK :thumbs:
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jmoorehouse wrote: August 20th, 2019, 5:44 am Lecture #6 will require some expert help from my wonderful DPL. I'll compile a short list of names and other pronunciation stumpers I've encountered. I can get the pronunciations as correct as possible, but nothing can fix the author's rambling in this one, which goes on for almost two hours. Groan! Stay tuned for the help list.
I'm back to duty and ready to help!
Please break this 2-hour lecture in two or more tracks, as LV does not allow tracks over 70 min (a CD size).
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Indeed! Just made this discovery.
I'll see if I can create a new section.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

So, I have posted Part 1 and Part 2 of lecture #6 as separate sections. The first is 1:04:36 and the second is 1:05:41.
I anticipate needing to make corrections. I did not make a list of the names that I'm unsure about because I think I made a relatively good effort on many and the list will be (I fear) more work for bothof us. Let me know if you can help me with these two sections.
Thanks!
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Jan, for starters, the file names should be _06_ and _07_ to match the sec. numbers. You have
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/russianrealitiesandproblems_06a_various_128kb.mp3 and
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/russianrealitiesandproblems_06b_various_128kb.mp3

I'll start with these sections, while they are fresh in your memory.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I can easily change the section numbers when I catalog the project. If that's the only thing that needs fixing, don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Many thanks!
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

hahaha--
I wonder what made me think I needed to call those files with a and b. No telling where my brain cells travel when I leave them on their own.
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

So, I went ahead and corrected the file names.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.6: Indeed, lots of names, and very much recognizable, you did a very good job.
11:55 (p.160) "z'apadniki and vost'ochniki"
55:45 (p.187) Mikluha-Macklay (I hear Miklula). This guy was half-Scottish, don't try your Russian accent too hard in the 2-nd half of his name McClay. :-)
Sec.7 PL OK :thumbs:
Sorry for the delays, will proceed to 4,5 now.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oh, thank you so much. It's a relief to know I didn't utterly appall your finely tuned ears with my pronunciations.
No worries at all about the delay. I'll get the corrections back to you sometime this week.
Many thanks,
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.4 low volume, please add 6-7 dB.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks--I have fixed Lecture #4. I very clearly omitted the step of running the file through MP3Gain. I hope this clears the note! Also, I noticed that I have flipped the two parts of Lecture #6, so that the second half is posted 1st and the 1st is posted second. I'll fix that when all the other fixes are complete.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jmoorehouse wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:58 am ... I noticed that I have flipped the two parts of Lecture #6
Oops, sorry, I just listened to 6a and 6b, did not verify after the renaming. My bad :oops:
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

This is why we have a team! :-)
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse