Practical limits to headphone 'cordage'

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I don't wish to invest in WiFi and I've not had good experiences with wireless headphones. Is there a practical limit to the effective length of a cord for headphones? Do they sell 'extension cords' for these?

I think I could get more PLing done (when no text is required) if I could sit in a comfortable chair, but it would have to be close to the computer (at this point.) I sometimes download recordings onto my mp3 player, but that involves more effort than I wish. Quoting Leonard Cohen: I'm a lazy _____ in a suit.

Classify this under First World Problems, I know, but I am interested in the actual physics involved, too. How far could the electrical impulse travel without too much interference (if that is the word for it)?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This doesn't answer your question, but how would you get a time stamp for any edits to be made? I often have to stop the recording and take notes; that wouldn't be possible so far from the controls. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: September 6th, 2019, 12:33 pm This doesn't answer your question, but how would you get a time stamp for any edits to be made? I often have to stop the recording and take notes; that wouldn't be possible so far from the controls. :hmm:
I would have to get up. (My doctor tells me I need to exercise.)

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind this, as so much of what I listen to has no mistakes. It's pretty remarkable what many of the members do. If there is a recording that needs extra attention---like my own!---I'd work from my desk chair.

Maybe I just need to invest in a better desk chair, one with a sturdy, high back I could lean against.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

KevinS wrote: September 6th, 2019, 12:31 pm I don't wish to invest in WiFi and I've not had good experiences with wireless headphones. Is there a practical limit to the effective length of a cord for headphones? Do they sell 'extension cords' for these?

I think I could get more PLing done (when no text is required) if I could sit in a comfortable chair, but it would have to be close to the computer (at this point.) I sometimes download recordings onto my mp3 player, but that involves more effort than I wish. Quoting Leonard Cohen: I'm a lazy _____ in a suit.

Classify this under First World Problems, I know, but I am interested in the actual physics involved, too. How far could the electrical impulse travel without too much interference (if that is the word for it)?
It should work with a reasonable extension for the headphones, maybe up to 20 feet or even much more, and it should not degrade the signal. However, I'm not sure if you can get extension cables. You would probably need to get a new cable fitted at the desired length - or you could make one up if you are any good with a soldering iron.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lurcherlover wrote: September 6th, 2019, 1:12 pm
[O]r you could make one up if you are any good with a soldering iron.
Now that's an idea!
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

You can get just about anything you want through Amazon.

IMO all that happens is that the signal is attenuated as a function of cable length. You might find you need to bump up the volume a bit if you do your listening while sitting in your neighbor's comfy chair. If you find noise has been introduced then there is likely something wrong with the cable shielding or solder connections or connectors and not a length issue.
Tom Penn
loon

Post by loon »

A headphone extension should work just fine for you. I see Best Buy lists a closeoit 20 foot curly cord one for under $10. If yoi have a Fry’s or Micro Center in your area look there. Happy listening.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Thank you all!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Penumbra wrote: September 6th, 2019, 3:05 pm You can get ... anything you want...
at Alice's Restaurant.