Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

unexpected for me too, I wasn't even thinking the titles would matter - I did wonder about long titles causing it, but that didn't work out.
And non-roman alphabets were not a problem,
but hopefully, we soon will not need to worry.

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

leanneyauyau wrote: August 5th, 2019, 2:36 am https://librivox.org/the-lifting-of-the-mist-by-e-pauline-johnson/
Very excited by this cover art - it is a painting called Dancing Fairies, which shows fairies emerging from the mist...JUST LIKE IN THE POEM! :9:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dancing_Fairies_(August_Malmstr%C3%B6m)_-_Nationalmuseum_-_18226.tif
https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/theliftingofthemist_1908.zip
it is absolutely beautiful and a very elegantly realised cover!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I just want to say that I'm delighted to see all the cover art done for the recordings with which I have been associated. It's obvious to me that a lot of thought, research, and artistic talent and grace are demonstrated in these covers. It would be unfair, and unnecessary really, to comment on any specific examples. The whole of them show such visual power and suggestion. And your work greatly assists in directing potential readers' attention. I wonder if the cover makers are the unsung heroes of LibriVox. Thank you for all your work and clear concern for the mission.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 8:58 am I just want to say that I'm delighted to see all the cover art done for the recordings with which I have been associated. It's obvious to me that a lot of thought, research, and artistic talent and grace are demonstrated in these covers. It would be unfair, and unnecessary really, to comment on any specific examples. The whole of them show such visual power and suggestion. And your work greatly assists in directing potential readers' attention. I wonder if the cover makers are the unsung heroes of LibriVox. Thank you for all your work and clear concern for the mission.
:9: This warms my heart! I actually collated all my designs on my website leanneyau.wordpress.com/other-services - could I put what you said on my page as a cheeky endorsement of my work? xD
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

leanneyauyau wrote: August 16th, 2019, 9:03 am
KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 8:58 am I just want to say that I'm delighted to see all the cover art done for the recordings with which I have been associated. It's obvious to me that a lot of thought, research, and artistic talent and grace are demonstrated in these covers. It would be unfair, and unnecessary really, to comment on any specific examples. The whole of them show such visual power and suggestion. And your work greatly assists in directing potential readers' attention. I wonder if the cover makers are the unsung heroes of LibriVox. Thank you for all your work and clear concern for the mission.
:9: This warms my heart! I actually collated all my designs on my website leanneyau.wordpress.com/other-services - could I put what you said on my page as a cheeky endorsement of my work? xD
Of course!
schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you for your nice words and motivation, kevin!
as one of the every so often covermakers i feel the heartwarming, too!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kevin, for those lovely sentiments. Some of us more than others think that the decorations matter. I'm one of those who loves a decorated world. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Are the images on this website safe to use on our covers?

https://freeclassicimages.com/
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: August 19th, 2019, 10:54 am Are the images on this website safe to use on our covers?

https://freeclassicimages.com/
I would say no. There's no source information, or year information. They're royalty-free, but that doesn't mean they're public domain. And pictures of Elvis, for example, shouldn't be public domain yet, so we can't say that all the images are PD by virtue of their age.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
schrm

Post by schrm »

cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

i just saw the cover for the 14th anniversary collection - great job anne!
hillarious with all the phones (recording devices) and the numbers and the event..
thank you!

edit: but i think there is a s missing in the annyversary?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Drat - I fiddled with the heading, I'll have to remember what I did so I can match it :D

Anne
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Loving the covers for 'The Fir-Tree Fairy Book', 'L'Art Pour l'Art' and 'Enoch Arden'!
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thank you :D . I thought it was time we had a Kate Greenaway cover and when I found she'd illustrated the pied piper I could use it there. There didn't seem much suitable in the fir-tree line except Christmas trees

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: September 6th, 2019, 7:42 am Caught .. and linked. Thank you. I have some new software I use to make use a perspective crop om some of the old covers that aren't rectangular - and it has magnifying glass - I'll try it out some time. I did use one on a series cover I did and always have trouble repeating for the next cover in the series.

Anne
sounds interesting!
since i use gimp, i'm sure there is some tutorial somewhere or i find a way myself... with more time to spend..
well, but this cover suits my taste as is...

i try to imagine fighting over a series cover and every time i make a new one i have to work hard to get the results as wished for - it seems very ambitioned, very very hard work - but also a bit of witty or homorous and very very perfectionist like...
that is, i think, arts..

:D

good evening
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275