[COMPLETE solo] The Last of the Vikings by Johan Bojer - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

The Last of the Vikings by Johan Bojer (1872 - 1959). Translated by Jessie Muir ( - )

This project is now complete! Please download and listen from the catalog: https://librivox.org/the-last-of-the-vikings-by-johan-bojer/

Volunteers outside the USA: Johan Bojer died in 1959. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies.
In a small village on the coast of Northern Norway we follow a family. Father is a fisher man and is, in the eyes of the oldest son, like a god on the sea. Mother spends every winter in fear of losing somebody she loves to the storms and waves. She longs to move inland and turn her back on the coast and all its dangers. The novel explores some of the tension between inland and coast, poor and wealthy, tradition and progress while also depicting the highs and lows of a winter of fishing in Lofoten. Funny, sad, moving, and exciting, it was one of my late mother's favorite books, one that she and I would read and re-read aloud to each other. ( kathrinee)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/BojerLastOfTheVikingsCombinedReduced/page/n1
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Norway, poverty, fishing, family life, lofoten

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Last of the Vikings. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Last of the Vikings, by Johan Bojer. Translated by Jessie Muir ( - ) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Last of the Vikings by Johan Bojer. Translated by Jessie Muir ( - ) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Last of the Vikings, by Johan Bojer. Translated by Jessie Muir ( - )"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename lastviking_##_bojer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lastviking_01_bojer_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Johan Bojer
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Last of the Vikings

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Kathrine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

This looks like a nice book. I'm always interested in Viking stories. Can I please DPL?
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Hi, Elijah. You can absolutely DPL if you'd like to but I have to warn you: this novel is not actually about vikings. It is set around the beginning of the 20th century.
Kathrine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

kathrinee wrote: September 5th, 2019, 6:15 pm Hi, Elijah. You can absolutely DPL if you'd like to but I have to warn you: this novel is not actually about vikings. It is set around the beginning of the 20th century.
Oh odd. I'm still interested in DPLing though :D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

perfect, thank you :9:
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Chapter 1 is up. Thank you!
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

2 is up :)
Kathrine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Chapter 1 is PL OK!

For some reason this chapter almost brought me too tears... it's so good, but so sad. I'm excited for more. And nice reading by the way, very smooth and your voice fits this book really well. Excellent job.

Thank you!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you, Elijah! :) I'm glad you're enjoying the book, even if it is not about vikings! (Just wait to some of the later chapters, they are REAL tearjerkers...)
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

chapter 3 is up. Thank you! :9:
Kathrine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I am so sorry that I haven't PL'ed anything recently :( It's not that I forgot about this project, it's just I've been trying to catch up on so many other things that I've seemed to put this one aside. But I will come back to it... quite soon.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you for checking in! Not to worry, this solo crawls along slowly -- it will be here when you have more time!
Kathrine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Chapter 2 is PL OK!

Your voice fits this book excellently, I enjoy this every single time.

Thank you! :D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Just checking in to say that I haven't forgotten this project :)
Kathrine