Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: August 15th, 2019, 5:45 pmMrs. Clerimont, Act 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_mrsclerimont_3_128kb.mp3
ahh, excellent, TJ !!!! I especially love the "French" version of the song, you really gave a good fake French accent there :clap: And there is a great difference between French and English version, so well done ! Also loved the little kissies to the dog in the beginning :9:

Now that I heard Mrs Clerimont, I can understand a bit better why the husband would want a mistress :lol: she doesn't seem too interested in him either. I wonder why they married in the first place. Probably money :roll:

Looking forward to the next act ! This one at least is PL ok.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: August 16th, 2019, 5:48 am
benderca wrote: August 15th, 2019, 5:45 pmMrs. Clerimont, Act 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_mrsclerimont_3_128kb.mp3
ahh, excellent, TJ !!!! I especially love the "French" version of the song, you really gave a good fake French accent there :clap: And there is a great difference between French and English version, so well done ! Also loved the little kissies to the dog in the beginning :9:

Now that I heard Mrs Clerimont, I can understand a bit better why the husband would want a mistress :lol: she doesn't seem too interested in him either. I wonder why they married in the first place. Probably money :roll:

Looking forward to the next act ! This one at least is PL ok.

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia!

Mrs. Clerimont is annoying, superficial, and self-centered (and likes to hear herself talk), but for all her faults -- her money spending, her extravagance, her attention to her looks, her superficial, superiority complex, she still isn't a fraction as bad as Mr. Clerimont, WHO HAS A MISTRESS! and then has the gall to condemn his wife for just flirting with young men (and then setting a trap for her, which I'm pretty sure would not have gone further than the one kiss). I get the impression that Mrs. Clerimont is much younger than Mr. Clerimont (like 18-20, and he around 38-40) and that she has just undergone her first adventure (traveling to France) and has not yet found herself. She respects her husband immensely, as she tells Fainlove in Act 5, but she doesn't think he respects her -- which proves to be true, considering he has a mistress and sets a trap for her with a pretty boy (her first experience with romantic feelings). The marriage was likely arranged, as was done in those days, and they likely didn't know each other, other than family reputation, before the union. Mr. Clerimont hasn't shown Mrs. Clerimont much emotion, as her comment in Act 5 "I never saw you moved before" shows. Instead of setting her up with a pretty boy, Mr. Clerimont should have shown her some of the passion that she's been longing for.

In the end, Mrs. Clerimont vows to change herself completely, which is a shame - the "shrew" has been successfully "tamed" yet again. She has some commendable qualities before being tamed -- the fact that she surrounds herself with young men and flirts with them is quite revolutionary for the pre-sexual revolution age, and only fair considering her husband has a mistress...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: August 16th, 2019, 7:20 amIn the end, Mrs. Clerimont vows to change herself completely, which is a shame - the "shrew" has been successfully "tamed" yet again. She has some commendable qualities before being tamed -- the fact that she surrounds herself with young men and flirts with them is quite revolutionary for the pre-sexual revolution age, and only fair considering her husband has a mistress...
oh definitely ! If he can do, she can do it :lol: and yes I agree, setting that trap was definitely nasty. :evil: So you think she is very young still... yes that could be. I pictured her more mature already. Did it say they were recently married ? I somehow thought they were married longer already and the passion might have cooled off.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: August 16th, 2019, 7:35 am oh definitely ! If he can do, she can do it :lol: and yes I agree, setting that trap was definitely nasty. :evil: So you think she is very young still... yes that could be. I pictured her more mature already. Did it say they were recently married ? I somehow thought they were married longer already and the passion might have cooled off.

Sonia
I got the impression that Mrs. Clerimont is young by the naive way she talks and acts. She acts like the young woman who goes abroad for the first time and then comes back to her hometown, full of people who have never been abroad. She considers herself to be oh, so worldly, but is clearly not. I think she's older than the pretty young things she flirts with, though -- but it seems they are closer to her age than Mr. Clerimont. In the end, Mr. Clerimont teaches her the error of her ways -- sort of like a father figure.
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: June 26th, 2019, 12:43 pm I looked things up on the web, and "Jenny" was apparently applied as the generic name for a country lass or servant girl.

So I see it as Clerimont dismissing his former and no longer useful mistress Fainlove by putting her (back) in the same place as Jenny his wife's maid. He has the affection of his wife back so Fainlove can just be tossed aside, regardless of what promises he has made to her. So "run along little servant girl, I never really cared about you and don't even know your real name...."

Note earlier in the play, in combined scenes with Mrs Clerimont, Fainlove, and Jenny, how Fainlove plays a somewhat different role from that of the other Jenny - but only becuz she (Fainlove) is mistaken for a man. Otherwise she still has much the duties as Jenny - carrying the lapdog, for example.

Ouch. Some social progress in the last 300 years perhaps....

Thanks, Todd
I also found Clerimont calling "Lucy" "Jenny" confusing, since both Lucy Fainlove and Jenny are in a scene together in Act 3. I guess on stage it wouldn't matter because we clearly see who is being referred to, but in an audio play, this could throw things off completely if we think Clerimont is now talking to Mrs. Clerimont's servant girl... (just my 2 cents). :D
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Can you please orphan the part of Jenny? I have become very busy lately.

Thanks for understanding,

Elsie
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Pinklady77

Post by Pinklady77 »

Hello,

Can I have section 6, Jenny the maid please.
Thank you
Lola
Lola
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Pinklady77 wrote: September 4th, 2019, 7:52 pmCan I have section 6, Jenny the maid please.
thank you, Lola, happy to have you in this project. :) I see you already participated in a dramatic reading, so you know about the basic rules for stage plays as well, as they are similar. Just read your lines, your voice credit, and leave at least 2 seconds of silence between quote-chunks. :)

Have fun !

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

And here we have poor Mrs. Clerimont, seduced, entrapped, and played... :shock:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_mrsclerimont_5_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: September 7th, 2019, 8:50 am And here we have poor Mrs. Clerimont, seduced, entrapped, and played... :shock:
yes, the whole plot was a shame, but in the end they seem to have a happy-ending. And I loved your performance during the entrapment scene. :clap: And especially the sobbing later on, if would have moved a heart of stone. Wonderfully played all throughout, thank you so much, TJ !!!!

Totally PL ok.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: September 8th, 2019, 4:34 am
benderca wrote: September 7th, 2019, 8:50 am And here we have poor Mrs. Clerimont, seduced, entrapped, and played... :shock:
yes, the whole plot was a shame, but in the end they seem to have a happy-ending. And I loved your performance during the entrapment scene. :clap: And especially the sobbing later on, if would have moved a heart of stone. Wonderfully played all throughout, thank you so much, TJ !!!!

Totally PL ok.

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia! I can't wait to hear this scene put together with your inspired performance as the seducer! :D