COMPLETE [GROUP] Fables of Aesop and Others by Aesop ed by Thomas Bewick-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Pinklady77

Post by Pinklady77 »

Hello,

I can do Chapters 14-20 if that isn't too many.

Thanks,
Lola J
Lola
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I would like 26-28 please.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
xgravity23

Post by xgravity23 »

Okie doke! I think I did this Amplify thing correctly... at least I hope I did! I am sure I fixed the bit rate, though. I also trimmed the end of section 7.

I wasn't sure how to view the actual db in Audacity. It just shows 0 +/-1... I Googled a bit to try to figure that out, and didn't find much, except that Audacity shows a digital db and not actual db... Anywho, I found another Librivox thread on this issue, followed the YouTube video instructions (just how to use Amplify), and re-exported. Please let me know if there is more I can do. Sorry to be such a bother!

2nd EDIT: I just found the ReplayGain Audacity plug-in link in the Recording Notes forum post. Adding that now and double checking my files!

The new files are at these URLs.
6 Industry and Sloth 03:00
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_006_aesop_128kb.mp3

7 The Young Man and the Swallow 03:04
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_007_aesop_128kb.mp3

I would also like to sign up for sections 16-23!

EDIT: I see someone above me signed up for 14-20, so I'll take 21-23, 25-28, and 30, which should be 10 if I counted correctly (including 6 and 7).
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

PL
tels wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 7:12 am
Thank you silver quill!
Good to know.
I've done the sections -
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_004_aesop_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaOptionaesop_003_aesop_128kb.mp3

I look forward to what's next!
Thank you very much, Tara. Happy to welcome another new reader aboard!
PL feedback: Good reading overall, just a couple of things.

Section 3:
* You have omitted to say “Fables of Aesop and Others, by Aesop” just before the fable name
* The final silence is well over 5 secs - could you trim it back please?

Section 4:
Very nice reading.
* The volume on this is way too low - only 83 dB as measured by Checker. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB. If you need help adjusting this, let me know, but since section 3 was correct, may be just an oversight.
* You have omitted to say “Fables of Aesop and Others, by Aesop” just before the fable name
* Could you correct the pause and stumble around 2.35, which is jarring to a listener?
(Optional, but I've added it as there are some corrections to be made): you may wish to double check your pronunciation of "ignominious".

Please upload each corrected file under the same name, then post the link and new file length here in the forum so we can check it.

PS, There is no need to add the MetaData unless you wish, since this is now done automagically.
Thanks for reading and joining the project!
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

xgravity23 wrote: September 4th, 2019, 7:55 pm Okie doke! I think I did this Amplify thing correctly... at least I hope I did! I am sure I fixed the bit rate, though. I also trimmed the end of section 7.

I wasn't sure how to view the actual db in Audacity. It just shows 0 +/-1... I Googled a bit to try to figure that out, and didn't find much, except that Audacity shows a digital db and not actual db... Anywho, I found another Librivox thread on this issue, followed the YouTube video instructions (just how to use Amplify), and re-exported. Please let me know if there is more I can do. Sorry to be such a bother!

2nd EDIT: I just found the ReplayGain Audacity plug-in link in the Recording Notes forum post. Adding that now and double checking my files!

EDIT: I see someone above me signed up for 14-20, so I'll take 21-23, 25-28, and 30, which should be 10 if I counted correctly (including 6 and 7).
Either you are up late or in my time zone also :D so I'll jump in here. You are not being a bother - it takes most of us a little while to get familiar with all the various things - it certainly did me. Use Checker to validate your file as the first step, and which will tell you immediately if it isn't within the range. See here, https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

silverquill wrote: September 4th, 2019, 9:01 am Okay, sounds good.

On editing -- I almost never try to patch in a single word, bu will record a sentence, or at least a phrase. It is usually the only way to get the intonation correct. Still, some of my edits sound a little rough, but we don't expect perfection here. Just record to your own standards.

The tech stuff does get easier, and becomes second nature, then you can concentrate on what you love best -- reading!
Agree on both counts. Trying to patch in a single word is too hard, and often interferes with the rhythm. I almost invariably redo a phrase or sentence. If I make a mistake, I rap twice sharply (throws up a characteristic wave pattern that's easy to spot later) then redo.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

KevinS wrote: August 30th, 2019, 7:59 pm Section 5

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_005_aesop_128kb.mp3

3:04

Section 5 moral: Because I said so.
Thanks Kevin. All good and PL OK. Nice reading.
regards
Jane Bennett
TroubleATM

Post by TroubleATM »

I would like to claim sections 17, 53, 56, 62, and 135 please :D
Aleacia Messiah
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks!
In MW Ready for PL
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Pinklady77 wrote: September 4th, 2019, 4:42 pm Hello,

I can do Chapters 14-20 if that isn't too many.

Thanks,
Lola J
You've got them!
Thanks.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JenniferFour wrote: September 4th, 2019, 6:14 pm I would like 26-28 please.
You are in for these.
Thanks.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

xgravity23 wrote: September 4th, 2019, 7:55 pm Okie doke! I think I did this Amplify thing correctly... at least I hope I did! I am sure I fixed the bit rate, though. I also trimmed the end of section 7.

First, there were still some prior claims that I hadn't put in the MW so I've given you 21-23,25,30,31, if that's okay.

I'm a little confused as to what has been PL'ed, so I've just marked these Ready for PL.
They should have a final check anyway.

Glad you found ReplayGain. I use that on every recording I do, and then use the Audacity amplification feature to adjust accordingly. I'm not sure why Audacity, with all of it's features, does not provide an actual dB reading of volume. But, this works, and I don't need Checker when recording, but I always use it when a PL.

You're doing fine! There is a definite learning curve, and we're always glad to help. I sure needed a lot when I first started -- and still do, actually. :lol:
~ Larry
madhupal2486

Post by madhupal2486 »

Hi, I would like to claim 36 to 39. Please assign them to me.
Thank you.

Regards,
Madhuri
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

madhupal2486 wrote: September 5th, 2019, 9:22 am Hi, I would like to claim 36 to 39. Please assign them to me.
Thank you.

Regards,
Madhuri
Before I can assign these, there are a couple of things that need to be done.

First, you need to complete your one-minute test recording.
I see that you did one some time ago, but were asked to make some volume corrections and submit it again for review.
I suggest that you do that, so we are sure you have your settings correct.

Then, I need to add you to the LV catalog. So, I need to know how you would like to be listed. Many of us just use our real names, but you can choose any pseudonym or nickname that you wish.

I hope to hear back from you soon.
~ Larry