Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dalniente

Post by dalniente »

Hello all! I would like to claim the following sections:

9 The Husbandman and his Sons
10 The Proud Frog and the Ox
11 The Stag looking into the Water
13 The Peacock and the Crane

This is my first time recording for LibriVox, I'm very excited to get started :D
tels

Post by tels »

Hello,

I want to claim 43 to 48. That OK?
:D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

tels wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 8:36 am
Thank you silver quill!
Good to know.
I've done the sections -
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_004_aesop_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_003_aesop_128kb.mp3

I look forward to what's next!
I've put these in the MW Ready for PL
Thank you for our first recorded sections. :thumbs:

We do request that you include the file length when you post the length, in min:sec

And, I have assigned you 43 and 48.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

dalniente wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 2:48 am Hello all! I would like to claim the following sections:

9 The Husbandman and his Sons
10 The Proud Frog and the Ox
11 The Stag looking into the Water
13 The Peacock and the Crane

This is my first time recording for LibriVox, I'm very excited to get started :D
I'll save these for you, but to assign them in the Magic Window, I need to know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us use our real names because this is how we are credited for our work, but you may choose any pseudonym or nickname that you wish.
~ Larry
dalniente

Post by dalniente »

Ahh sorry for not saying before. I guess I'll use my real name - Michael Anstis - since my username is very pretentious :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

dalniente wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 7:42 am Ahh sorry for not saying before. I guess I'll use my real name - Michael Anstis - since my username is very pretentious :D
Great!

You are in for these sections.
Just click on your name in the MW to see your personal catalog page. This is where you can track all of your LV work
Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
~ Larry
nlwjh

Post by nlwjh »

hi! I would love to claim section 19, The Old Woman and Her Maids.
regards,
Nawaal Wajeeh
xgravity23

Post by xgravity23 »

6 Industry and Sloth 03:00
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_006_aesop_128kb.mp3
(NOTE: there is a previously uploaded file with "kp" at the end of the file name instead of "kb." I have re-recorded because I messed up a word. Feel free to delete this file. The file with "kB" at the end is the corrected recording.)

7 The Young Man and the Swallow 03:07
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_007_aesop_128kb.mp3

This is my first time recording after wanting to for a long time. I really enjoyed it, and if these are okay, I'd love to sign up to read more fables! I tried to follow all the instructions--hope I did ok--so any tips you can offer a newbie, help docs you can point me to or whatever, I appreciate.
jeugenet

Post by jeugenet »

I would like to read section 24, the Mule and section 152, the eagle and the crow.
jeugenet (James Thomas)
Thanks
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

nlwjh wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 12:23 pm hi! I would love to claim section 19, The Old Woman and Her Maids.
regards,
Nawaal Wajeeh
I would be glad to have you join us!

We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out you recording settings.
You will find directions for this in your introductory email message, or in the Newbie Guide to Recording linked in Point 2 of the initial post in this thread.

Once you have the official OK on the test, post here again and I'll be happy to assign this to you.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jeugenet wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 5:29 pm I would like to read section 24, the Mule and section 152, the eagle and the crow.
jeugenet (James Thomas)
Thanks
Good to see you here (Smythe) :lol:
I've assigned these section so you.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

xgravity23 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 4:47 pm 6 Industry and Sloth 03:00
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_006_aesop_128kb.mp3
(NOTE: there is a previously uploaded file with "kp" at the end of the file name instead of "kb." I have re-recorded because I messed up a word. Feel free to delete this file. The file with "kB" at the end is the corrected recording.)

7 The Young Man and the Swallow 03:07
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_007_aesop_128kb.mp3

This is my first time recording after wanting to for a long time. I really enjoyed it, and if these are okay, I'd love to sign up to read more fables! I tried to follow all the instructions--hope I did ok--so any tips you can offer a newbie, help docs you can point me to or whatever, I appreciate.
Thank you so much for your fine recordings!

Just a couple of technical notes before we do the proof listening.

The bit rate is incorrect for both of these files.
We require a constant rate of 128kbs, and these are a variable rate.
Just export them again, choosing the correct sampling rate.
If you're using Audacity and need help with this, just let me know.

Additionally, the volume on Section 7 is way to low at only 82.2 dB. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB. (Section 6 is just above this threshold at 86.7 dB. This is an easy fixe in Audacity using the Amplify feature. Again, let me know if you need help. Oh, and while you're at it, trim the ending silence on Section 7 so it is close to just 5 sec.

Just upload your corrected files under the same name and post again here.

By the way, if you mess up on a word, you don't need to record the whole selection again. Just record a phrase and edit it in. Editing is an essential skill for doing these recordings. I know, my first one was a poem that I must have recorded a dozen times trying to get it perfect! Ha! Now I just just stop, repeat and go on, and do a lot of editing. If I do nee to record a new phrase or sentence, it is easier to do.

And . . . .. the sample of what I listened to was just excellent. :clap: You are a very talented reader.
~ Larry
xgravity23

Post by xgravity23 »

Just a couple of technical notes before we do the proof listening.

The bit rate is incorrect for both of these files.
We require a constant rate of 128kbs, and these are a variable rate.
Just export them again, choosing the correct sampling rate.
If you're using Audacity and need help with this, just let me know.

Additionally, the volume on Section 7 is way to low at only 82.2 dB. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB. (Section 6 is just above this threshold at 86.7 dB. This is an easy fixe in Audacity using the Amplify feature. Again, let me know if you need help. Oh, and while you're at it, trim the ending silence on Section 7 so it is close to just 5 sec.

Just upload your corrected files under the same name and post again here.
Great, thank you so much for the newbie help notes!! I'll do this today after work and re-upload! I thought I selected the right bit rate, but I will look at my settings closer... same on Amplify. I do know how to trim... must have missed that on my second recording, as I do remember seeing in the notes and paid close attention for the first track! Just too excited to upload after the second one! :D

I do some light podcast editing in Audacity for work, and so far, I feel more comfortable editing in longer phrases... I'm sure I'll get better with single words as I get more comfortable with Audacity and Librivox. Thank you for that encouragement!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay, sounds good.

On editing -- I almost never try to patch in a single word, bu will record a sentence, or at least a phrase. It is usually the only way to get the intonation correct. Still, some of my edits sound a little rough, but we don't expect perfection here. Just record to your own standards.

The tech stuff does get easier, and becomes second nature, then you can concentrate on what you love best -- reading!
~ Larry
jeugenet

Post by jeugenet »

Thank you. I look forward to reading these.
jeugenet (James Thomas)