OUR SOUTHERN HIGHLANDERS

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
vidalia11

Post by vidalia11 »

Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart

This book is about Kephart's time in the Smoky Mountains with the isolated people who lived there. He treats them almost like an aboriginal people (but not condescendingly). Not only is it interesting, but the author has a good sense of humor. Interesting stories about moonshine stills and "revenoors."

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31709
joseph

Post by joseph »

I also would be interested in working on this book, as well as C. C. Miller's "50 Years Among the Bees".

http://biobees.com/library/general_beekeeping/beekeeping_books_articles/50_years_bees.pdf
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

vidalia11 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 10:07 am Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart

This book is about Kephart's time in the Smoky Mountains with the isolated people who lived there. He treats them almost like an aboriginal people (but not condescendingly). Not only is it interesting, but the author has a good sense of humor. Interesting stories about moonshine stills and "revenoors."

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31709
Sure looks interesting!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

joseph wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 4:35 pm I also would be interested in working on this book, as well as C. C. Miller's "50 Years Among the Bees".

http://biobees.com/library/general_beekeeping/beekeeping_books_articles/50_years_bees.pdf
joseph, you might want to put this suggestion in a new and separate thread. The book is on archive.org, which is good news, and looks very, very interesting!
joseph

Post by joseph »

"Southern Highlanders" may be a tough book to work on because there is a lot of "Appalachian" phonetic. It can be hard to get it right, but I would be willing to try.
MeredithWomacCook

Post by MeredithWomacCook »

I would love to get in on this project! I was born & raised in Appalachian Tennessee and have quite a fondness for linguistics, so this project might be right up my alley. :)

I'm quite new to Librivox and still learning the ropes. I like the idea of going solo, but I haven't attempted that yet and will need to read up a bit on the protocol.
Meredith Womac Cook
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

About 80,000 words, or about 9 hours of finished recording. It would make a fairly hefty solo for a new reader, but still doable.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MeredithWomacCook

Post by MeredithWomacCook »

TriciaG wrote: February 13th, 2023, 12:07 pm About 80,000 words, or about 9 hours of finished recording. It would make a fairly hefty solo for a new reader, but still doable.
Thanks for this! I have put a lot of thought into this and read through quite a few sections throughout the work, and I feel pretty confident that I want to go solo on this book. Am I correct that my first steps would be to post a new topic in the New Projects Launch Pad forum, and then use the Template Generator to launch a new project?

Thanks for your help!
Meredith Womac Cook
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, that's right. Use the Template Generator, which will provide you with the coding and information for the first post for the topic you make in the Launch Pad.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart