That late night, intimate radio voice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

How do some of you do it? Do you wear velvet?

There's a secret, right?

I'm thinking that I should speak softly and close to the mic. Is that it?

Don't ask me why this is important to me.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I record wearing my favorite velvet onesie of Elmo with a hood of course, mirror sunglasses and my feet immersed in a bucket of warm tapioca pudding. That gets me in the mood to be soft and smooth as buttermilk. Doesn't work of course, but that's what I do.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: August 30th, 2019, 3:29 pm I record wearing my favorite velvet onesie of Elmo with a hood of course, mirror sunglasses and my feet immersed in a bucket of warm tapioca pudding. That gets me in the mood to be soft and smooth as buttermilk. Doesn't work of course, but that's what I do.
Large or small pearls of tapioca?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Darn it, Phil, I serious.

Which doesn't mean we can't joke about it.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

KevinS wrote: August 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm Darn it, Phil, I serious.

Which of our performers in particular do you find the best in this regard? It would help for a link to what you are talking about. I know about late night, velvety DJs and like that but always assumed we have the voice we have. It is true that speaking softer and closer to the mic produces a more intimate sound and actually whispering sound good to me. But my voice is nothing like that and I always revert to what comes naturally which is animated but a bit strident to my ears. To sum it up, I don't know.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: August 30th, 2019, 3:46 pm
KevinS wrote: August 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm Darn it, Phil, I serious.

Which of our performers in particular do you find the best in this regard? It would help for a link to what you are talking about. I know about late night, velvety DJs and like that but always assumed we have the voice we have. It is true that speaking softer and closer to the mic produces a more intimate sound and actually whispering sound good to me. But my voice is nothing like that and I always revert to what comes naturally which is animated but a bit strident to my ears. To sum it up, I don't know.
I hate to point out anyone in particular without their permission, but we have one volunteer whose voice drives me to thoughts of matrimony.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

And what I'm getting at isn't necessarily a pleasant voice.

Did you ever watch the great show Tom Snyder did (in clouds of cigarette smoke)?

It's a hard quality to describe but it has 'immediacy.'
eakahn

Post by eakahn »

Could it be proximity effect?

You basically "eat the mic" - get real close to the microphone. Works better with some mics (and voices) than others.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

eakahn wrote: August 30th, 2019, 4:29 pm Could it be proximity effect?

You basically "eat the mic" - get real close to the microphone. Works better with some mics (and voices) than others.
I don't know.

I don't want to discount the talent factor, but some mics are better than others, I suppose.
loon

Post by loon »

eakahn wrote: August 30th, 2019, 4:29 pm Could it be proximity effect?

Proximity effect works with directional mics. As for the ‘some voices’ part, some of us (raises hand) have voices that sound like a lawnmower running through a patch of gravel.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

KevinS wrote: August 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm ... but we have one volunteer whose voice drives me to thoughts of matrimony.
LoL- I'm already married Kevin.. So it obviously isn't me. :lol:
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

DaleInTexas wrote: August 30th, 2019, 6:06 pm
KevinS wrote: August 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm ... but we have one volunteer whose voice drives me to thoughts of matrimony.
LoL- I'm already married Kevin.. So it obviously isn't me. :lol:
Dale
LOL!
schrm

Post by schrm »

i don't think i have that a late night radio voice and feel but i heard a story: once upon a time there was the wolf and the seven young goats...
long story short, in the german version the wolf eats chalk to soften his voice (i read on wikipedia, you all think he ate honey to do so)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: August 31st, 2019, 7:29 am i don't think i have that a late night radio voice and feel but i heard a story: once upon a time there was the wolf and the seven young goats...
long story short, in the german version the wolf eats chalk to soften his voice (i read on wikipedia, you all think he ate honey to do so)
Hahaha! Which would you eat? I'll go with honey in tea!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

KevinS wrote: August 30th, 2019, 3:23 pm How do some of you do it? Do you wear velvet?

There's a secret, right?

I'm thinking that I should speak softly and close to the mic. Is that it?

Don't ask me why this is important to me.
In fact, it's called "eating the mic." Radio stations usually use dynamic mics like the EV20, which help give that signature sound when you're about an inch away, something a condenser can't handle. Never got me a marriage proposal, though.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page