[COMPLETED][SOLO] Gudrun by Ferdinand Schmidt - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ssfellows

Post by ssfellows »

Gudrun by Ferdinand Schmidt. Translated by George Putnam Upton (1834 - 1919)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/gudrun-by-ferdinand-schmidt/
The charming story of “Gudrun” is a romance of the old heroic period, written by some unknown poet of Austria or Bavaria in the thirteenth century. Next to the “Nibelungen Lied,” it is the most important of the German epic poems...The same elemental passions are depicted. The men are brave, vigorous heroes, rejoicing in battle and feats of prowess; the women are beautiful, constant, and courageous. There are many fine delineations of character in the original, as well as vigorous sketches of northern scenery. The figure of Gudrun stands out in bold relief among the maidens. There are few more beautiful characters, indeed, in the poems of the old heroic period...Gudrun’s name is always spoken by her people with reverence. “Her courage and constancy were extolled by them, and in after days her fame was as radiant as the stars in the heavens.” (George P. Upton, Translator's Preface)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59626
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Gudrun. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Gudrun, by Ferdinand Schmidt. Translated by George Putnam Upton [Chapter title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Gudrun by Ferdinand Schmidt. Translated by George Putnam Upton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Gudrun, by Ferdinand Schmidt. Translated by George Putnam Upton "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename gudrun_##_schmidt_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. gudrun_01_schmidt_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ssfellows on August 30th, 2019, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Your template/first post looks good. The only thing is that your MC will need at least a ballpark estimate on how many sections it'll be. Usually this is the number of chapters (one chapter per section) plus one extra if there's a preface or introduction. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ssfellows

Post by ssfellows »

TriciaG wrote: August 30th, 2019, 11:32 am Your template/first post looks good. The only thing is that your MC will need at least a ballpark estimate on how many sections it'll be. Usually this is the number of chapters (one chapter per section) plus one extra if there's a preface or introduction. :)
Thanks Tricia! Perhaps you could offer your opinion, since this is my first solo effort: there are 23 chapters, but there is a fair amount of variation in their length. I'd estimate that maybe half of them will clock in around 4-5 minutes, while the longest ones will be in the 10-15 minute range.

There is also a brief preface, which I used selectively in my summary, but it reads more like a thumbnail review than a necessary introduction. I'd be inclined to leave it out, but if Librivox policy is to include the full text, then it would be another very short section.

Regards,
Steve
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm.

Regarding the preface: it's your choice whether to include it or not. Main text needs to be included, of course, but any appendices, prefaces, footnotes (anything not the main text) is at the discretion of the soloist or BC.

Regarding the chapters: If it were my project, I'd probably try to lump together the shorter ones, to try to get the sections all around the 10-15 minute length. But others would divide them by chapter, as written. So that's your choice, too. :)

It's easier to add sections than remove them; the BC/soloist can add them, whereas the MC is the only one who can delete them (so that it's not done by mistake). So I'd say, lowball the number of sections a bit since you can always add more later.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ssfellows

Post by ssfellows »

Sounds good! I have updated the entry with an estimate of 12 sections and will expand if necessary.

Regards,
Steve
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Steve,

I have heard of the Gudrun saga but haven't actually read it yet (I actually wanted to read it in the original Old German, but it was a bit difficult to plod through), so I am curious and I will offer to MC your first Solo endeavour. I will also put myself up as DPL, so I can listen to the story instead of just reading it. 8-)

I'll be back with your MW soon and then you can start filling in all the slots. If you need any help, let me know.

Here's to a good collaboration. :birthday:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok Steve, here is your Magic Window. As you can see I put in the first chapter title for you already. If it was my project, I would do one section per chapter, regardless how short they are, I find it neater to have one chapter per section. But as Tricia mentioned, each tastes vary and as the Soloist, it's your decision in the end.

Only if you lump them together, then we better change the intro/outro to "Section" instead of "Chapter", because otherwise this would be confusing if there is more than one chapter in a section. :? Let me know your final decision and we can go from there. Also, if you want to read the introduction (I probably would, it's an interesting text and small), then I'll insert a Section 0 as well. Let me know.

So to access the MW you click the BC/Admin button underneath it. Maybe the first time it won't let you log on with your password, then simply click "forgot password" and you'll get an email to reset it and from then on it should be easy to access. Just fill in the chapter titles for now and that's it. If you need any help, let me know.

Later on, when you have a section ready, copy/paste the link in the correct slot in the MW and maybe also insert the length in the notes section. And a short comment in the thread would be helpful, so I get notified that there is activity here and that I need to PL a section. ;) We'll take it from there.

As soon as you have seen this, I'll move us over to Going Solo. 8-)

Have fun !

Sonia
ssfellows

Post by ssfellows »

Hi Sonia,

Thank you for all of the help, and I look forward to a great collaboration as well.

I updated the MW for each individual chapter (that seems cleaner to me, too). If you think the preface has value, please add a Section 0, and I will be happy to include it.

I must admit that I'm no scholar of German - I'm a fan of sagas and adventure - so if you find me butchering the pronunciation of a certain character/place name, let me know and I will cheerfully correct it.

All the best,
Steve
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ssfellows wrote: August 31st, 2019, 8:29 amI updated the MW for each individual chapter (that seems cleaner to me, too). If you think the preface has value, please add a Section 0, and I will be happy to include it.
well it is short and yes, I personally found it interesting as a small introduction. It's really up to you though. I will include a section 0 now and it's quickly removed if you change your mind.
I must admit that I'm no scholar of German - I'm a fan of sagas and adventure - so if you find me butchering the pronunciation of a certain character/place name, let me know and I will cheerfully correct it.
if that is what you wish, I can give you advice on pronunciation. I speak German, so the names are no problem for me. Since I am DPL anyway, I will let you know if anything is too off ;) But don't fret too much about pronunciations. It's the liveliness of the narration that keeps readers hooked, and they don't mind some tiny errors in-between.

Ok, I move us over to Going Solo now. I see you filled out the MW perfectly. :thumbs: Let's start then !

Have fun. I am looking forward to the story. And yes, I also love sagas and adventure and myths. :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ssfellows wrote: August 31st, 2019, 8:29 amI updated the MW for each individual chapter (that seems cleaner to me, too). If you think the preface has value, please add a Section 0, and I will be happy to include it.
I'm happy that you decided on one chapter per section. So you can keep saying "Chapter 0, Chapter 1, etc" in the intro and outro.

I added Chapter 0.

Sonia
ssfellows

Post by ssfellows »

Hello Sonia,

I uploaded Chapter 0: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_00_schmidt_128kb.mp3

Duration: 2:24

Please let me know if anything should change before I proceed with recording the main text.

Regards,
Steve
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ssfellows wrote: August 31st, 2019, 9:11 pmI uploaded Chapter 0: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_00_schmidt_128kb.mp3
Duration: 2:24
Please let me know if anything should change before I proceed with recording the main text.
well this is an absolutely great start. I love your calm deep voice and way of narrating. It's a pleasure to listen to :9:

Now each time you have a recording ready, please also update the MW. As you can see, I now put in your link in the right slot and changed the status to Ready for PL. I also wrote the length in the notes box. As Soloist, you will have to update the MW yourself.

And since you asked, here is my first note on pronunciation. Good thing I heard this before you have recorded too much ;) German names are usually stressed on the first syllable. You did it correctly with Herwig, but for some reason you say "gu-DRUN" which to me sounds like a French way of saying it. In German, this name would be stressed "GU-drun" (like HER-wig). It was a bit startling, but of course, also here, it's up to you. As long as you stay consistent in the pronunciation, it's fine. I am sure there may also be people who stress it this way, but for me it was surprising to hear it.

And two more PL notes on your text proper:

> at 2:14: usually we read everything the author wrote, so here I would also include the ending "G. P. U. Chicago, July 1, 1906" this also puts the book in historical context in a way, which might be interesting.

> at 2:15: "End of Chapter 0" - you repeat the title. This is optional if you like to do that in every section, but usually we say the chapter number at the beginning and end and the title only right before the text. But this is as you feel it's best, it's not compulsory.

Great start, looking forward to more. :)

Sonia
ssfellows

Post by ssfellows »

Thanks for all the feedback, Sonia! While there may be an element of preference to pronunciation, I think I ought to make the effort when we're discussing the main character/title of the book. :wink:

I uploaded a new version that is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_00a_schmidt_128kb.mp3

Hopefully this addresses the issues, but please let me know, for better or worse.

Regards,
Steve
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ssfellows wrote: September 1st, 2019, 5:38 amWhile there may be an element of preference to pronunciation, I think I ought to make the effort when we're discussing the main character/title of the book. :wink:
:lol: I thought that would be your point of view also, that was another reason why I wanted to tell you from the start.
I uploaded a new version that is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_00a_schmidt_128kb.mp3
Hopefully this addresses the issues, but please let me know, for better or worse.
this reading is absolutely perfect. :thumbs: Totally PL ok and yes, now all the names are pronounced as I am used to hear them. I suspect you re-recorded it all, didn't you ? Usually we prefer spot editing, but since the name appeared so often and the section was so short, I suppose you preferred a whole re-do. I relistened to it all an it was word-perfect.

Only one thing I still need to point out: always keep the exact same standard file-name. So not like here with a version "a" attached to the section number. The filenames need to be standardised. And when you upload a correction with the same filename, the old file will automatically be replaced in the MW by the new file. This is not the case with a new 00a version. In the MW the old (wrong) file would still be present. We need to make sure the new (correct) file is in there.

No worries for this time, I will change the filename in my folder and in the MW. So the correct version will be in. Just as a note for your future corrected files :)

Great start. And now on to the story proper. :9: Remember that from now on, as it's a solo, you can use the abbreviated intro disclaimer (see under MW).

Sonia
ssfellows

Post by ssfellows »

Kitty wrote: September 1st, 2019, 5:59 am Usually we prefer spot editing, but since the name appeared so often and the section was so short, I suppose you preferred a whole re-do.
Haha yes, since there were eight occurrences in a two-minute recording - roughly four "Gudruns" per minute (or 4 GPM) - it seemed the easier course to re-record.

Chapter 1 is now ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_01_schmidt_128kb.mp3
Duration: 6:14

Regards,
Steve