COMPLETE SOLO Journal of Rev. Francis Asbury, Vol. II-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

Journal of Rev. Francis Asbury, Vol. II by Francis Asbury (1745 - 1816).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/journal-volume-2-by-francis-asbury/

As one of the first two bishops of the Methodist church in America and one of the most well-known circuit riders during the spread of Methodism, Francis Asbury kept a journal of his travels and activities. His journal begins with his prayerful decision to come to America in 1771 and continues to December of 1815, a few months before his death. In the meantime, we travel with Rev. Asbury across the ocean, over mountains, through rivers, and up and down the whole length of the fledgling United States of America. ( Devorah Allen)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/journalofrevfran02asbu
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Journal of Rev. Francis Asbury, Vol. II. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Journal of Rev. Francis Asbury, Vol. II, by Francis Asbury. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Journal of Rev. Francis Asbury, Vol. II by Francis Asbury. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Journal of Rev. Francis Asbury, Vol. II, by Francis Asbury. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename journalvol2_##_asbury_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. journalvol2_01_asbury_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Brian,

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. Given that there are no real chapters, I suggest that you follow the approach in Vol 1 (https://librivox.org/journal-of-francis-asbury-volume-i-by-francis-asbury/).

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together.

MaryAnn
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

Thank you, MaryAnn! I have filled in the MW how I think I want it for now.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Checking in as DPL! :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

mightyfelix wrote: August 18th, 2019, 3:55 pm Checking in as DPL! :D
MW updated.
MaryAnn
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

I uploaded the first section, but when I hit the BC Admin link it says I don't have permission for this area?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

What login are you using? I think it should be the same as the login to the forum. I might be wrong, though. (My computer keeps mine saved for me, so I haven't had to type it in in ages.) You filled in the sections, and it let you do that without trouble, right? I can't imagine that anything would have changed since then.
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 25th, 2019, 3:17 pm What login are you using? I think it should be the same as the login to the forum. I might be wrong, though. (My computer keeps mine saved for me, so I haven't had to type it in in ages.) You filled in the sections, and it let you do that without trouble, right? I can't imagine that anything would have changed since then.
Okay, I tried again and it worked this time. MW is updated.

Computers... :roll:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I wish I had time to listen now, but I'm actually about to go pick up a friend for a fun night out. If it's not too late when I come home, I will PL tonight. :thumbs:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

You need to login to the MW using your forum name . . . .

Sometimes if you have uploaded a section using the generic librivox login, and then you try to enter the MW, you'll get bounced out. That's because the generic LV login doesn't give you access rights to the MW.

Once I started BCing, I always logged in using my forum name - even if I was just going to upload a section. That saved me from the "no permission" error if I was still logged in next time I circled back.

MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Section 1 is PL ok! :thumbs: Off to a nice start.

(Remember to also change the status in the MW to "Ready for PL" when you upload your sections. At first, when I looked at my list of sections to PL, this one wasn't showing up, and then I realized when I checked the MW that it was still marked "Assigned." It's a step that's easy to forget, and in fact I did the same thing on one of my projects this week, but it's an important step, because it will show me at a glance what I need to work on next.)
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm Section 1 is PL ok! :thumbs: Off to a nice start.

(Remember to also change the status in the MW to "Ready for PL" when you upload your sections. At first, when I looked at my list of sections to PL, this one wasn't showing up, and then I realized when I checked the MW that it was still marked "Assigned." It's a step that's easy to forget, and in fact I did the same thing on one of my projects this week, but it's an important step, because it will show me at a glance what I need to work on next.)
Oops- thank you, I will remember that.

Clarification on a couple abbreviations -- toward the bottom of page 15, "Cant. iv, 16", I'm guessing he's meaning "Canticles"? But how about in the middle of page 16, "Pct. iii, 9", I can't figure what book that's supposed to be.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, Cant I'm sure means Canticles (also known as Song of Solomon or Song of Songs). When you zoom in on page 16, though, it is actually Pet, not Pct. So it must be Peter. There's no way of telling whether it was 1st Peter or 2nd Peter, though. I'd just read it as Peter, since he didn't indicate which.
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 29th, 2019, 2:59 pm Yes, Cant I'm sure means Canticles (also known as Song of Solomon or Song of Songs). When you zoom in on page 16, though, it is actually Pet, not Pct. So it must be Peter. There's no way of telling whether it was 1st Peter or 2nd Peter, though. I'd just read it as Peter, since he didn't indicate which.
Thanks! Section 2 is uploaded for PL.