[COMPLETE]-LibriVox 14th Anniversary Collection-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

commonsparrow3 wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pm
mhhbook wrote: August 20th, 2019, 7:52 pm Section 13, "Survey of Occupations Open to the Girl of Fourteen to Sixteen Years" is PL OK. :)

Maria, while I was proof listening to this very interesting item, I thought about factory working conditions during that time...especially the infamous Triangle Factory Fire. I noticed that the copyright date on this publication is 1912. That's after the fire, which happened in 1911. I suppose this report was being written and/or published at the time of the fire. And, of course, this was written long before the infamous radium girl incidents. People went through some rough things to earn a living back then. Anyway, thanks for finding this and reading it!
Mary, thanks for your comments on this selection. I worried that it might seem dry or boring as a topic, though I personally found it a fascinating window into another era. While I had known that girls as young as 14 worked in the garment business, I was enlightened by this pamphlet as to exactly what sort of work they might be doing. While older girls who had received training in the trade schools were able to make a fair living as sewing-machine operators, these young untrained girls were only able to earn a pittance doing unskilled work such as sewing on buttons and labels, or snipping threads off finished clothes. And the independent dressmakers and milliners, who used to train young girls through apprenticeships, were rarely doing that anymore by 1912, expecting employees to come to them already trained from a trade school, using the young untrained girl only as an errand girl at low pay. While we think of how the job outlook for folks without the right "skill set" is changing nowadays, works like this pamphlet show us the same kind of issue was also a concern in 1912.

Thanks for the PL! I'm looking forward to listening to all the other selections in this collection when it's cataloged!
I've read of cases where the children worked for no pay at all, so long as they were taught something practical and could in time prove their 'worth.'
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

If the silence is over 10 seconds, it could use a trim. If there is nothing wrong other than a silence that is over 5 seconds, it should be fine to keep it as is.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello mhhbook,
Is my recording PL Ok? I was a little bit anxious while recording Donne's sonnet last night because English is not my native language and I wondered whether I could accurately render this seventeenth-centure British poetry and deliver the meaning of the words clearly. Another thing that bothered me was that I recorded that poem well after one A.M., so I had to speak quietly not to wake up my family members.
And another question. When will this collection be cataloged and be made available to the general public?
I appreciate your replies in advance.
Thanks,
Eunah Choi
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 12:03 pm Finally finished! It took me three sessions to get it all recorded. Looks like I'm a good contender for longest section in this year's collection. :wink:

Fourteen to One, by Elizabeth Stuart Phelps
https://archive.org/details/fourteentoone00phel/page/1
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fourteen_fourteentoone_phelps_da_128kb.mp3
56:48

Thanks again for running this collection, Kevin. I think you can be proud of it.
The winner! Barring any submissions in our last hours!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Section 19, Psalm 14, is PL OK. :)
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

rita1075 wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 11:56 pm Hello mhhbook,
Is my recording PL Ok? I was a little bit anxious while recording Donne's sonnet last night because English is not my native language and I wondered whether I could accurately render this seventeenth-centure British poetry and deliver the meaning of the words clearly. Another thing that bothered me was that I recorded that poem well after one A.M., so I had to speak quietly not to wake up my family members.
And another question. When will this collection be cataloged and be made available to the general public?
I appreciate your replies in advance.
Thanks,
Eunah Choi
Hello Eunah Choi,

I just listened to your recording. It was very nice. The sound is just a little low. If you could slightly increase the volume, that would be good. Also, the silence at the end is 10 seconds. If you can reduce that to 5 or 6 second, that would be good.

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

My corrected version of Section 12 should be up there now.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Section 21 "Fourteen to One" is PL OK. :)

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Section 12, "The Number 14" is PL OK. :)

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Seeing as Rita's recording needs no meaning-related edits, would it be permissible to make these corrections for her if we do not hear from her in a couple or three days? It would be nice to be able to catalog the collection while we are still in August.

21 submissions and still time for more! Pretty exciting!

EDIT: By the way, I sent a polite pm to Rita to let her know that minor edits will be appreciated.
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello, KevinS,
I got your PM. Unfortunately, I exported my reading only as an MP3 file, so I don't have any WAV version of the recording.
Would it be okay if I opened my MP3 file on Audacity, made the edits by myself, and re-exported my edits as an MP3 file? Would the sound quality be good?
Sorry to ask too many questions.
Eunah Choi
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

rita1075 wrote: August 24th, 2019, 5:39 pm Hello, KevinS,
I got your PM. Unfortunately, I exported my reading only as an MP3 file, so I don't have any WAV version of the recording.
Would it be okay if I opened my MP3 file on Audacity, made the edits by myself, and re-exported my edits as an MP3 file? Would the sound quality be good?
Sorry to ask too many questions.
Eunah Choi
That is fine. Quite fine. The loss in quality is very small in one generation of copying.

Thank you!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

We'll wait a day or two for Rita's edit, so it seems possible to add more submissions so long as they can be PLed in time.

Otherwise, we'll be soon ready for the catalog! (I just have to catch up on the metadata.)

Thank you again to everyone who supported this effort.
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello, I am Eunah Choi.
Here, I upload my second attempt of recording John Donne's Holy Sonnet 014.
The file can be found by clicking the link below:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fourteen_holysonnet014_donne_cea.mp3

Please let me know if there are any problems with this file.
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Oh my God, I forgot to give you the recording length. Sorry.
Recording length: 02:06
I would like to dedicate my recording of Holy Sonnet 014 to all the PGDP volunteers who took pains to proofread and upload this scholarly edition of John Donne's poetical works. Thank you so much. I can record for LibriVox because of the hard work by every PGDP volunteer.
Contributing from South Korea,
Eunah Choi