A Helpful Site for Word Count

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Hi, I had a story in mind to read for a collection, and wanted to make sure the story would be under an hour, which is what is required.

I found this http://wordcounter.net , which tells you how many words, grade level, how long it takes the average person to read, and whether or not it needs spell checking. (I suppose we can ignore that part, since we read "as is.")

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That sounds handy! I have a couple of word counter scripts saved on my computer, but I love that this tells you about how long it will take!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: August 24th, 2019, 11:23 am That sounds handy! I have a couple of word counter scripts saved on my computer, but I love that this tells you about how long it will take!
What we need is a 'how long will this recording take to edit' count. Hahah!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Interesting. I have a little bookmarklet that gives me word count. The speaking duration on this is cool, although I wonder where they got the 180 wpm average speed. That seems awfully fast to me. I always estimate based on 150 wpm.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I should start comparing my word counts to finished length. I don't know what my personal wpm averages.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:50 pm Interesting. I have a little bookmarklet that gives me word count. The speaking duration on this is cool, although I wonder where they got the 180 wpm average speed. That seems awfully fast to me. I always estimate based on 150 wpm.
I'm lucky to hit 130-40. 150 is probably my fastest speed.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Interesting topic, and having kept data on my projects, I just had to check my wpm. I'm generally reading at 160 wpm now, although when I started out at LV, I was reading at 175-180 wpm. :) It often varies depending upon the type of work I'm recording (a lot of dialogue vs. and lot of descriptive narrative vs. poetry, etc.).
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

DACSoft wrote: August 24th, 2019, 4:40 pm Interesting topic, and having kept data on my projects, I just had to check my wpm. I'm generally reading at 160 wpm now, although when I started out at LV, I was reading at 175-180 wpm. :) It often varies depending upon the type of work I'm recording (a lot of dialogue vs. and lot of descriptive narrative vs. poetry, etc.).
Folks speak so very quickly, to my ear, in the central Northeast US. (I've never been to Maine, but I suspect they speak as slowly as we do in Wisconsin.)
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

[What we need is a 'how long will this recording take to edit' count. Hahah!]

Kevin, so true! :)

Though I notice that the more I narrate, the less editing time is necessary. When I was a COMPLETE beginner, editing was a bit of a nightmare.

And that once I get tired, the number of mistakes increases, and it's time to stop.

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Nedge wrote: August 25th, 2019, 11:19 am
And that once I get tired, the number of mistakes increases, and it's time to stop.

Nan
I have to learn that when I get tired, I should just hang it up for the day. I've been trying to power through some readings and the result is never pretty.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Absolutely! I quit as soon as I begin to feel tired and it makes for much less stress and a better product. Besides, that's a great time for a cup of gumbo. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I use a google doc. Copy and paste, click tools, click word count and done. Then just hit the undo button and start on the next chapter. This is pretty similar. I might use it
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Gumbo???

I tend to vary the speed according to the context. At a dramatic moment I speed up beforehand and slow back down once it's past. (AT least that's the theory - but maybe it's wishful thinking ...)

(I'm not able to record at present, but hope I may be able to at some point in the future).
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:50 pm Interesting. I have a little bookmarklet that gives me word count.
i think i was reading your comment somewhere else and looked for this bookmark/javascript? magic?
very very helpful and a big thank you after some months of using it!

Code: Select all

javascript:d=window.getSelection()+''; d=(d.length==0)?document.title:d; alert(d.split(' ').length+' words, '+d.length+' characters');
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275