'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for your Dickens readings! Listening to Our Mutual Friend was one of the great pleasures of my whole year. I listened to your readings every morning on my walks and especially appreciated the delightful episodes with Boffin.

All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

I've been lax in thanking some people.

I've used Librivox recordings in my podcast, and I've always thanked Librivox and the particular reader in the audio and the blog post notes, but I've not thanked them here.

Thank you to

Sibela Denton for recording Lord Chesterfield's Letters to His Son.
All the people who recorded the Kalevala with me.
Alex Clarke for recording The Fall of Babbulkund, which led me on to heaps of Dunsany episodes.
Kristen Hughes and Kirsten Ferreri for their versions of The Lady of Shallot
Everyone who recorded Lord Dunsany at any time, ever: I've used a heap of your stuff. Ed Humapl? Sandra Cullum? Still using your stuff! Thanks!
Steve C for The London and Country Brewer
Elizabeth Klett for Goblin Market
paec for Carnacki the Ghost Finder
Lewis Fletcher for Frostiana
Joshua Young for the Yeoman's Tale
Peter Yearsley for Srendi Vashtar, Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book, Lost Hearts, The Ash-Tree
MarryAnn for The Listeners
Kara Schallenberg for the Friar's Tale
Joseph Finkberg forr The Octopus
Chiquito Crasto fpr The Adventure of the German Student
Elanor Sakamoto for Mujina
Dennis Smith for Ancient Lights
Lynne T for The Fifty-First Dragon
Clarica for The Phantom Wooer
Alison Rauof for The Witch
Gregg Margarite for The Golgothan Dancers (I know Gregg has passed away, but I want to thank him anyway).
Cori Samuel for The Ebony Frame
dg73 for The Room In The Tower
Phil Scempf for The Wolves of Cernogratz
Phil Chinivert for A Lay of St Nicholas
Tony Addison for The Soing of the Morrow
Andy Minter for Caterpillars (Vale)
Charlie Blakemore for The Pear Drum
Eliza Horn for From Outside the World
Colleen McMahon for the story of Major Weir
Val Grimm for The Paper Ship
VfkaBT for the Tiger of Chao-Cheng
Lucy Perry for The Painted Skin
Gerwin Kramer for Theft of a Peach, Justice For Rebels, and The Invisible Priest
jftocanada for The Dutch Carpet
Rafe Ball for Negotum Perambulans
Everyone who recorded Manx Faerie Tales by Sophia Morrison
Whoever recorded the Churn Song for
Eva Davis for Renasance
Ritalousie for The Outlandish Knight
Newgate Novelist for The Fairy Lover
Tomas Peter for The Witch Maid

Thank you all. Thank you so much.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of The Reluctant Dragon:
Hallo,
my name's Lucia, I work as teacher in a kindergarden...
I like reading books to children, and I also like listening to books!
I'm triyng hard to learn English language (I'm Italian), Thanks to a Canadian penpal I more or less learnt how to write in English (it took years) but I still have some problem in understanding spoken English. This is the reason why I run into "librivox.org"
I downloaded 5 books, but I was able to really appreciate and understand only the one ready by you. So... THANK YOU!
Tanks to your voice I can exercise and hope I'll be able to finally fully understand spoken English (it's courious, I didn't understand a word about the other books I downloaded... Not a single word! ... I had to listen to twice your audiobook, but at the end I understood 90% of the whole tale)-
So, thank you again!
and...
Mark, I want to thank you for your reading of Jules Verne’s The Mysterious Island (https://librivox.org/the-mysterious-island-by-jules-verne/). That is a favorite from my childhood that I had not read in 30 years and hearing it on audio brought back all the excitement of reading it for the first time. I did not want the story to end! I would also like to say that the quality of your reading is better than that of any professional audiobook I have listened to. Very well done!

Sincerely,

Tony
All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for tabithat (tabithat) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,
I'm listening Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Shuttle, and enjoying it very much! Having been listening to maybe a dozen Librivox audio books now I must say that your voice and style are very clear and pleasant in general plus they somehow seem to fit perfectly The Shuttle's historical era and setting in Britain. (I'm not good at noticing accents so not saying anything about that). I also like very much how you change your voice and tone for different characters, especially the dry displeased tone of the Sir Nigel and distressed whimpering of Rosalie gave the correct feeling to the conversations! Having enjoyed your voice in the Shuttle so much I'm downloading other books you have read. Thank you!

All of tabithat's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for JessicaLouise (Jessica Louise) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just finished Anthony Trollope's The Warden (version 2) and enjoyed your reading. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

All of Jessica's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for markpenfold (Mark Penfold) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mark,

I hope I’m not doing anything wrong and I am hoping you won’t mind, but I’m a musician and composer and recording my own faith-inspired material and I’ve sampled your voice reading scripture on a couple of my tracks.

You have a fantastic speaking / reading voice – very clear, concise and very expressive. With the recordings being in the public domain I’m assuming / hoping I’m not in breach of any copyright but I will of course credit you and Librivox for the samples and I would be happy to send you a copy of my MP3 album when it’s eventually complete.

The Librivox recordings used were sections of your reading of Psalm 103 from the Farrar Fenton Bible and Revelation chapter 22:17.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Brian

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Janet99 (Janet) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to send my thanks to Janet...

First I met with your reading in: The Aesop for Children. After that I
dreamt to listen your fresh, melodiuos voice and it happened thanks
the book: The Tower of London (by Walter George Bell).
Thank you very much for all gifts.

Vladimir
Slovakia

All of Janet's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for chiquito_crasto (Chiquito Crasto) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank You for Chiquito Crasto. Books: A Haunted Island, by Algernon Blackwood; The Spook House, by Ambroce Bierce; other ghost stories.

Mr Crasto,

I became familiar with your voice when I heard Bierce’s “The Spook House” and Blackwood’s “A Haunted Island.” I dearly love ghost stories, and when I am browsing LibriVox, I scan pages for such stories read by you, as I know you will deliver ideal atmosphere and perfect pacing. I am sure the authors would be in agreement with me. Thank you for your work.

Most sincerely,
Aedrian

All of Chiquito's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for eggs4ears (Phil Benson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Clog Shop Chronicles and Beckside Lights.
I did have trouble understanding the dialect but I got the gist of the meaning and enjoyed all the stories. Thank you for sharing your time and talent.

All of Phil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for chocoholic (Laurie Anne Walden) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of The Death of Ivan Ilyitch:
Ms Walden read beautifully, with a lovely Southern (?) accent. My sincere thanks.

All of Laurie Anne's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Karen…

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to you for your wonderful work.

I do not enjoy good health and have been looking for a way to support myself from home. All the research I had done said to choose something you were passionate about. After more research I chose to narrate public domain stories since most of my favourites are in that realm and it would not require me to be an author myself.

So I started a YouTube channel to read the classics…and have been researching for weeks how to become a good narrator. And everything else I would need to learn to put a good channel together. I had chosen 10 stories to start with and have commissioned art work for those titles.

When researching other channels in the same niche, I came across your voice, repeatedly. Finally I realised it is a bit silly of me to reinvent the wheel when you are years and years better at storytelling than I will ever be. You have already read several of the stories I had chosen for my initial releases.

I truly hope you do not mind if I add your voice yet again to youtube, sometimes for the third time or more for the same story. I will credit Librivox and your name in the description and add it to the several others in the same niche already filled by you. My plan is to add value with my channel. I hope that turns out to be the case. I sincerely wish to thank you for your generosity to the world.

Warmest regards and gratitude,

Selena

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for maxfarce (Don W. Jenkins) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello, LibriVox. I completed listening to the audio recording of Bret Harte’s “Brown of Calaveras” (https://librivox.org/short-story-collection-vol-046-by-various/) a few minutes ago, and I knew within the first ten seconds that the reader, Don W. Jenkins, was the ideal voice for this story.

Harte wrote about the Old West, California, in particular, and Jenkins’ voice evokes that time period magnificently. I could also easily imagine Jenkins reading Twain. He imbues his reading with a fitting slightly sardonic quality I find most suiting to the material.

Thank you, Mr. Jenkins, for an impressive reading. I look forward to hearing more of your interpretations.

All of Don's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for lucylou40 (Lucy Lo Faro) from our viewtopic.php?p=1621716#p1621716
Great reading of the Lost Continent. Glad you are still contributing Can't wait for you to finish Cave Girl
Are you a school teacher ??? I get that suggestion from your voice. I am an ERB fan and a member of the Jules Verne Society for over 30 years and appreciate the books being read.
Regards
Jerry

All of Lucy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for PatienceC (Patience Charles) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter

Recorded by Patience Charles

Dear Patience Charles,

I just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed A Girl of the Limberlost. I feel that Elnora came alive in your voice! You did SUCH a great job on this story! I not only felt that I was in the swamp, but I could sense and hear every emotion from each character as you narrated them! Thank you so much!

All of Patience's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for rachelellen (rachelellen) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Ellen:

Thank you for your superb reading of "Shirley Letters from California Gold Mines in 1851-1852." I enjoyed your rendering immensely.

The book itself is fascinating. I live in Los Angeles and have seen some of the old mining towns (Bodie State Park, for one), and the ruins of ghost towns. I'm grateful to LibriVox for providing these primary source historical materials to the rest of us.

Thank you for your many hours of effort in reading this book. I will look to see what else you have performed.

All of rachelellen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!