[COMPLETE DR]Dr Dolittle's Post Office, Hugh Lofting - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: August 15th, 2019, 7:23 pm Great! I'll do the next section.

Still haven't learned how to talk like a sailor for one-eye. I'm not sure I want to do a pirate.
It's fine. That was an optional suggestion, not a demand.
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Howdy from Texas!

I just can't wait to be king!

No, not Simba, this one:

25 King Ko-Ko King of Fantippo
S2, S3, S4, S11

And if you permit doubles, I'd take a swing at the Pushmi-Pullyu, one of my favorites!
Bill

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
~Dr. Seuss
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Bill! I’ll put you in for the King for now, and let Devorah decide if the pushmi-pullyu is an appropriate double - you’ve got a pretty distinctive voice, and those two characters appear in consecutive sections.

But you can get started on the King immediately!
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

I want to do the king in dialect, in a lower register. PP would have a different "voice." Did you ever watch "Mr Rogers Neighborhood"? King Friday XIII was voiced by Fred Rogers. I had to read that or hear it in an interview to figger that out!

In the meantime, "Remember the Alamo" by TR Fahrentold was one of my earliest LV creations....
Bill

It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
~Dr. Seuss
1800dystruction

Post by 1800dystruction »

i would like section 53 the giant snake please
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Bill Mosley wrote: August 18th, 2019, 5:08 am I want to do the king in dialect, in a lower register. PP would have a different "voice." Did you ever watch "Mr Rogers Neighborhood"? King Friday XIII was voiced by Fred Rogers. I had to read that or hear it in an interview to figger that out!

In the meantime, "Remember the Alamo" by TR Fahrentold was one of my earliest LV creations....
I think, if you are willing to use a different voice for them, then I'm ok with it. The Pushmi-Pullyu doesn't have much to say, besides that one story, and King Ko-Ko mostly appears in the first part of the book.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

1800dystruction wrote: August 19th, 2019, 9:49 am i would like section 53 the giant snake please
Sounds great, I'm happy to have you! Please make sure you complete your one-minute test before recording this one. We want to be sure that your settings are correct so that you don't have to re-do it. :) Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, in order to officially sign you up, since this will be your first recording, I'll need to know what name you'd like to use in the catalogue. This can be your real name, your forum name, or anything else you like. :)
1800dystruction

Post by 1800dystruction »

My real name Ben Dykstra is fine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 19th, 2019, 12:57 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_gubgub_8_128kb.mp3
11:39

Thank you Campbell! I'm not able to update the MW at the moment. But either Beth or I will get to it. :)
MW updated! I've also PLed all these files as most were quite short. All were PL OK except for the long one (Ch 8).

PL note Gub-Gub Chapter 8:
@2:37 word should be "truffle" but sounds like "trifle" which is something else. Gub-Gub says this word a lot, you may be able to cut and paste from elsewhere in the file.

So just one PL note for all that recording! Well done! I liked Gub-Gub's little voice - I'm sorry to have heard the last of him!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Too-Too's section 10, the last long one with his "fairy story", is uploaded to the MW!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlepostoffice_tootoo_10.mp3 (11:27)
chuckconvr

Post by chuckconvr »

New to this section, want to ensure I understand. When recording a character, you record JUST the spoken dialog, nothing else. Correct?
I also assume we are to leave a short pause between sections so it can be edited later.

Assuming all this to be true, I would like to try a Dramatic Reading and take on the role of The Captain.

Chuck
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

chuckconvr wrote: August 21st, 2019, 4:21 pm New to this section, want to ensure I understand. When recording a character, you record JUST the spoken dialog, nothing else. Correct?
I also assume we are to leave a short pause between sections so it can be edited later.

Assuming all this to be true, I would like to try a Dramatic Reading and take on the role of The Captain.

Chuck
Yes, you've got the right idea. Just record the character's lines, with a good sized pause (about 3 seconds is good) in between each one. You may want to read a little bit of the action and dialogue near your lines, so that you know what kind of emotion and inflection to use. You'll also record, at the beginning of your first file preferably, a voice credit. In this case, it would be "The Captain, read by Chuck." (Or whatever you're using for your reader name.) You'll submit one recording for each section in which your character appears. Feel free to inject as much life and emotion into your role as you like!