[COMPLETE]Multilingual Short Works Collection 022 - Poetry & Prose - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok Alejandra, I have just listened to the whole story. A bit sad and tragic at the end, that people don't take responsibilty for their actions :( but very lively narrated, I loved the direct speeches you made. You would be good in dramatic performances :thumbs: Yes you read quite fast, but I was able to follow along. I know that the Italians have a faster way of speaking, so I was expecting it. :lol: But you leave pauses in between so I was able to gather my thoughts.

Speaking of pauses though, I need to make a note. In the first three minutes your breaks in between sentences are way too long. As a listener, anything over 2 seconds feels like the action is not happening fast enough ;) Usually I recommend 1 or maximum 1.5 seconds between normal sentences, maybe a bit more between paragraphs, but nothing exceeding 2 seconds. I marked down the time stamps where I think the silence is too long for comfort. Could you cut down to 1-1.5 maximum in these places ? Luckily after the first minutes your silences were much better and I had nothing to note down there anymore. 8-)

Also there are a few small errors that need correcting. Now please, I always say this for new readers: do NOT re-record it all again ! Only do a spot editing in those places where the error is. The best way is recording the sentence or part of the sentence again in another audacity window, then cleaning it, and copying it into the place where the error was in your end recording. Maybe adjust the volume so it sounds a bit similar to the rest of the sentence. If you re-record it all, it is first of all too much work for you, and second too much work for me because I have to re-listen to it all again, instead of only the few sentences where the errors were. Also the risk that there are new errors in the new recording are very high too ;)

Ok now here are the places which need correcting, it's actually not as much as it looks like, most of it is cutting silence, there are only 4 sentences with errors that need to be re-recorded. I suggest you start at the END, so that the time stamps stay correct. If you start cutting the silence from the beginning, all my times will be wrong and you will have a hard time finding the place I mean ;)

> at the beginning, we recommend only 0.5 to maximum 1 second of silence, you have over 2 here. It's a bit long to wait for the recording to start

> at 0:02: the title of the story is not "Novelle napolitane" but "Gli ubriachi", you have to say that at the beginning

> at 0:19-0:23: between disclaimer and title: shorten silence

> at 0:24-0:27: between title and start of story: shorten silence. In fact, here is a loud click, you can easily remove that one in the process, so it sounds clearer

> at 0:54-0:56: after "il conto a memoria": shorten silence and remove the click

> at 1:46-1:49: after "al taglio della tavola": shorten silence

> at 2:07-2:10: after "forza nelle dita": shorten silence

> at 2:33-2:35: after "il mucchietto de' soldi": shorten silence and a click can be removed

> at 2:38-2:41: after "volgendosi attorno": shorten silence

> at 2:46-2:49: after "il denaro addosso": shorten silence

> at 5:42: "me ne vado solo e buonanotte" - the end of buonanotte is cut off :hmm:

> at 6:00: "chiamò il cocchiere" - you say "esclamo", which is not really a change of meaning, so it's an optional change, but usually we should only read what the author wrote. But here it's not word perfect required, I just mentioned it, in case you want to have it word perfect

> at 8:54: "Vi siete offeso?..." - this sentence should be repeated, you onla have it once. I guess you cut it out by error

> at 16:01: "End of Gli ubriachi" - you again said "Novelle Napolitane"

> at 16:08: at the end we leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence. You have over 16 here :shock: you can cut those out, only leave 5 seconds

It was really a very good start, Alejandra. :clap: It's almost word-perfect reading and if you remove all the long silences, really, you did not make many mistakes. Very good job.

Since you reupload anyway, please also remember to use the correct filename this time: msw022_ubriachi_giacomo_atc_128kb

If you still have questions for editing, please ask ! It's not too difficult and you'll get better with each editing, I can promise you that. :)

thank you

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

I uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_asteres_amphi_kalan_selannan_sappho_pgg_128kb.mp3
(0:41 m)
The text comes from https://www.gutenberg.org/files/57390/57390-0.txt
…………………………………….
……………………………….I. IN SAPPHIC METRE

Ἄστερες μὲν ἀμφὶ κάλαν σελάνναν
αἶψ ἀπυκρύπτοισι φάεννον εἶδος,
ὄπποτα πλήθοισα μάλιστα λάμπῃ
γᾶν [ἐπὶ πᾶσαν]
ἀργυρία
The stars about the fair moon in their turn hide their bright face when
she at about her full lights up all earth with silver.

Pier
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

this is a super cool contribution, Pier :9: the first time I listened to Ancient Greek.

I asked Rapunzelina to lend a second ear to this, but I also listened right now and for me the metre sounds absolutely fine. I think I hear a small textual difference, but that could be my ears mistaking me. Please wait for Rapunzelina's confirmation before changing anything:

> at 0:15: σελάνναν - I hear "telanan", with 't' instead of 's'

The rest sounds perfect to me at least. Only careful with the filename, please have the title without any underscores: "asteresamphikalanselannan" or even shorter if you prefer. I would say "asteres" is enough, but it doesn't really matter. If Rapunzelina says it's ok, I can change the filename, no need to re-upload then.

Oh and can you give me one or two keywords please ? I already have poetry, can we insert something else ?

In any case, great job, thank you so much !

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Kitty wrote: August 18th, 2019, 1:00 pm
Iunta4Ios wrote: August 18th, 2019, 12:10 pmI uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_asteres_amphi_kalan_selannan_sapp

I asked Rapunzelina to lend a second ear to this, but I also listened right now and for me the metre sounds absolutely fine. I think I hear a small textual difference, but that could be my ears mistaking me. Please wait for Rapunzelina's confirmation before changing anything:

> at 0:15: σελάνναν - I hear "telanan", with 't' instead of 's'

The rest sounds perfect to me at least. Only careful with the filename, please have the title without any underscores: "asteresamphikalanselannan" or even shorter if you prefer.
Sonia, you have a super hearing capacity.
In fact I corrected the word σελάνναν , because I first recorded it sounding something like " xselannn" and than just tried to cut the X sound from my track in order not to alter too much the rytm, but the result was not too good.
I wait from the many more remarks I suppose to receive from Rapunzelina and than make the corrections.
Pier
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Iunta4Ios wrote: August 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm I uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_asteres_amphi_kalan_selannan_sappho_pgg_128kb.mp3
The text comes from https://www.gutenberg.org/files/57390/57390-0.txt
…………………………………….
……………………………….I. IN SAPPHIC METRE

Ἄστερες μὲν ἀμφὶ κάλαν σελάνναν
αἶψ ἀπυκρύπτοισι φάεννον εἶδος,
ὄπποτα πλήθοισα μάλιστα λάμπῃ
γᾶν [ἐπὶ πᾶσαν]
ἀργυρία
The stars about the fair moon in their turn hide their bright face when
she at about her full lights up all earth with silver.

Pier
A very fine reading of Classical Greek, well done. About selanan you can try using the s sound from the word in the intro/outro title if it works.
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

[/quote] About selanan you can try using the s sound from the word in the intro/outro title if it works.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll follow your advise and post the corrected file.
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Sonia, Rapunzelina,
here is the updated file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_asteresamphikalanselannan_sappho_pgg_128kb.mp3
Thanks for your help! :thumbs:
Pier
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Iunta4Ios wrote: August 19th, 2019, 8:17 am here is the updated file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_asteresamphikalanselannan_sappho_pgg_128kb.mp3
thank you, Pier, now I hear the selanan correctly, but there is another mistake now :( did you re-record itfrom scratch ?

> at 0:14: now the 'k' from "kalan" seems to be missing and I wonder why. It was definitely in the first version :hmm:

Could you check that please ? Thank you

Sonia
AlejandraCapSi

Post by AlejandraCapSi »

Hey Sonia, thank you so much for guiding me through all of this, it would have felt pretty overwhelming otherwise.
Thanks for the nice words and for the note, I realized I hadn't fixed the pauses in the first part only after submitting the post. You're totally right, I'll fix it asap.
Unfortunately I'm getting ready for a long trip and I don't know if I'll make it for the end of this collection, I can foresee not much free time in the immediate future, however I'll work on it whenever I can.
Ti apprezzo tantissimo.
Ale
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AlejandraCapSi wrote: August 19th, 2019, 8:47 amI realized I hadn't fixed the pauses in the first part only after submitting the post. You're totally right, I'll fix it asap.
yes I was wondering because the rest of the text was so good, why the beginning was so much spaced.
Unfortunately I'm getting ready for a long trip and I don't know if I'll make it for the end of this collection, I can foresee not much free time in the immediate future, however I'll work on it whenever I can.

ok there is no rush, it won't get lost. If this collection is full then we take it over to the next one. No stress. Enjoy your holidays ! (I hope they are holidays) And come back whenever you're ready.

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

[/quote]
thank you, Pier, now I hear the selanan correctly, but there is another mistake now :( did you re-record itfrom scratch ?

> at 0:14: now the 'k' from "kalan" seems to be missing and I wonder why. It was definitely in the first version :hmm:

Could you check that please ? Thank you

Sonia
[/quote]
As often happens when you record again a new part you correct old mistakes and make new ones ! :(
By the way I could not use the wise advise of Rapunzelina to use the title portion due to metric reasons.
Anyway I hope it is O.K. now!
If not, do not hesitate to tell me. Te main point is to arrive to a good reading! :D
Pier
And here is my last try.
(0:42 m)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Iunta4Ios wrote: August 19th, 2019, 10:43 am Anyway I hope it is O.K. now!
If not, do not hesitate to tell me. Te main point is to arrive to a good reading! :D
Pier
And here is my last try.
to me it now sounds perfectly PL ok :) thank you so much for the diligence, Pier. This is a cool addition. :9:

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

I uploaded the sonnet "Er giudizzio univerzale, by the Roman Poet Gioachino Belli, in roman dialect.
The text comes from "Duecento sonetti in dialetto romanesco" by Gioachino Belli, Luigi Morandi, Firenze 1870.
The sonnet is at https://archive.org/details/duecentosonetti01moragoog/page/n147Â page 132 of the book.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_ergiudizziouniversale_belli_pgg_128kb.mp3
(1:21m)
Pier
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Iunta4Ios wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 9:53 amI uploaded the sonnet "Er giudizzio univerzale, by the Roman Poet Gioachino Belli, in roman dialect.
assolutamente perfetto e PL ok, Pier, mille grazie. :)

I was wondering why there are so many double consonants in the spelling. You don't seem to pronounce it differently, so why would the letters be doubled to such an extent :shock: ?

Also: I put the language as "Italian (Roman dialect)" in the MW, I think that is ok, right ? It's still Italian after all. I managed to understand it very well (most of it). You really gave it much emphasis, I liked your interpretation. :thumbs:

Can you give me one or two key words still please ?

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Kitty wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 11:15 am

I was wondering why there are so many double consonants in the spelling. You don't seem to pronounce it differently, so why would the letters be doubled to such an extent :shock: ?

[/quote]

It is typical of roman dialect.
Pier