[COMPLETE] Man's Rights; Or, How Would You Like It? Comprising Dreams by Annie Denton Cridge - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Anitazz wrote: August 11th, 2019, 7:29 pm
hdcn wrote: August 8th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Anitazz wrote: August 8th, 2019, 1:35 pm
Ugh! It is a new microphone and I think I may be over-compensating for a comment I received from a different project which indicated that the volume was noticeably inconsistent. I don't have a copy of the pre-cleanup... good idea though for future endeavors. Let me see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback. It's a learning process.

Anita
Anita, what is your feeling on this? Do you want to try to re-record? If so, please get with me first so that I can perhaps advise you on your setup and software settings. It's definitely a learning curve. The decision is yours, but feel free to PM me either way and we can discuss. Thanks,

Jeff B.
Hi, Jeff--
I have uploaded a raw version of this section to https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mansrights_09_dentoncridge_128kb.mp3
(27:59). I am assuming this is mostly an exercise in recording quality and determining the best way to process it. Normally, I proof-listen AFTER I do the clean-up steps, because there sometimes are little "thumps" on the recording, or some background "hum" that didn't get cleaned up like I wanted, so there could be a few more reading errors than usual this time around, since I'd rather do that when the piece is cleaned electronically. I'll be happy to do that if you can let me know what clean-up you think should be executed. Anyway, for a change, I didn't need to amplify as this came in about 89db (usually, it's about 83db). Not sure why; I don't remember changing anything. I appreciate the help. Thanks--
Anita
Hi, Jeff-- I've uploaded a newer version of Dream 9 with all (known) reading errors corrected. Let me know what, if any, corrections you would like me to apply. Thanks! Anita
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mansrights_09_dentoncridge_128kb.mp3 (27:31)
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Section 1 (Elsie), Section 5 (Kathleen), and Section 7 (Kathleen) are now marked PL OK. Many thanks for your contributions to this project!! :clap:

Jeff B.
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Anitazz wrote: August 12th, 2019, 9:18 am
Anitazz wrote: August 11th, 2019, 7:29 pm
hdcn wrote: August 8th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Anita, what is your feeling on this? Do you want to try to re-record? If so, please get with me first so that I can perhaps advise you on your setup and software settings. It's definitely a learning curve. The decision is yours, but feel free to PM me either way and we can discuss. Thanks,

Jeff B.
Hi, Jeff--
I have uploaded a raw version of this section to https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mansrights_09_dentoncridge_128kb.mp3
(27:59). I am assuming this is mostly an exercise in recording quality and determining the best way to process it. Normally, I proof-listen AFTER I do the clean-up steps, because there sometimes are little "thumps" on the recording, or some background "hum" that didn't get cleaned up like I wanted, so there could be a few more reading errors than usual this time around, since I'd rather do that when the piece is cleaned electronically. I'll be happy to do that if you can let me know what clean-up you think should be executed. Anyway, for a change, I didn't need to amplify as this came in about 89db (usually, it's about 83db). Not sure why; I don't remember changing anything. I appreciate the help. Thanks--
Anita
Hi, Jeff-- I've uploaded a newer version of Dream 9 with all (known) reading errors corrected. Let me know what, if any, corrections you would like me to apply. Thanks! Anita
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mansrights_09_dentoncridge_128kb.mp3 (27:31)
Hi, Jeff -- I see that the status for section 9 has changed to "See PL Notes", but I don't see any. Can you re-post? Thanks-- Anita
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Anitazz wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:46 pm Hi, Jeff -- I see that the status for section 9 has changed to "See PL Notes", but I don't see any. Can you re-post? Thanks-- Anita
Anita,

The status is just to remind me that I need to complete the edits to this section, which I’m actually working on right now. If there is anything else needed then I’ll definitely message you, but everything looks good at this point in time! Sorry for the confusion. There are only a few possible choices under status, but I’ll go ahead and change it to “Spot PL” just to clarify.

Your raw audio track didn’t include a noise sample; so, as we discussed, I can’t/won’t do any “automatic” noise cleaning, as it’s just too distorting. But there’s a lot that I can do manually, so I think you’ll be very pleased with the result. Once I’ve completed the edits and uploaded the final re-mastered version, you’ll be able to listen by clicking on the link in the Magic Window.

As a tip for the future, I’d always recommend obtaining a 5-7 second noise sample at the start of each recording session, for use afterwards in spectral subtraction. I did try to somehow patch together a noise sample from what you uploaded, but without success. I’ve lowered your noise floor as much as possible, though, in relation to the vocals, so I think it will sound quite good. A natural-sounding track with a little noise in the background is almost always going to be preferable to a heavily distorted track with no background noise.

Thanks,

Jeff B.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: August 11th, 2019, 11:25 am
hdcn wrote: July 29th, 2019, 9:45 am
maxgal wrote: July 29th, 2019, 9:03 am Hello!
I'd like to claim Dream 2, please.
It dovetails uncannily with a book I came across just yesterday, by another author, but the same subject matter.
I just might have to do that book sometime...
Thank you!
...LJB
(Louise)
(aka "maxgal")
Thanks for claiming, Louise. It’s all yours!
Hello again Jeff,
I'm still here!
I have been clearing out a bit of a backlog. (I'm sure you've heard that one before.)
Should be able to get to this in the next week or two. (Ditto.)
...LJB 😬
Here's a Q:
At the beginning of the recording, shouldn't it be "Dream Number [number] of Man's Rights..." -- instead of "Chapter [number] of Man's Rights..."?
The instruction 2 lines down is to say "Man's Rights... by Annie Denton Cridge. Dream Number [number]."
And the instruction at the end is to say "End of Dream Number [number]."
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Section 9 is now marked PL OK. Final length is 27:29. Thanks, Anita, for your contribution to this project!! :clap:
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: August 17th, 2019, 5:13 pm
maxgal wrote: August 11th, 2019, 11:25 am
hdcn wrote: July 29th, 2019, 9:45 am

Thanks for claiming, Louise. It’s all yours!
Hello again Jeff,
I'm still here!
I have been clearing out a bit of a backlog. (I'm sure you've heard that one before.)
Should be able to get to this in the next week or two. (Ditto.)
...LJB 😬
Here's a Q:
At the beginning of the recording, shouldn't it be "Dream Number [number] of Man's Rights..." -- instead of "Chapter [number] of Man's Rights..."?
The instruction 2 lines down is to say "Man's Rights... by Annie Denton Cridge. Dream Number [number]."
And the instruction at the end is to say "End of Dream Number [number]."
...LJB

Here is Dream #2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mansrights_02_dentoncridge_128kb.mp3
Duration: 20:10
In re. my Q above, I saved the file both ways, starting with "Chapter 2 of..." and also "Dream #2 of..."
The uploaded version starts with "Chapter 2 of..." because that's what it says in Instruction #7.
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

I'll claim Dream #8 if no one else has it already.
Seems apropos of the current times... :roll:
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

hdcn

Post by hdcn »

maxgal wrote: August 18th, 2019, 6:54 pm I'll claim Dream #8 if no one else has it already.
...LJB
Thanks, Louise! Your recording of Section 2 is in for PL, and I have assigned you Section 8. You recorded the intro correctly (referencing “Chapter Two” first, and then “Dream Number Two” at the end of the intro).
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Tricia, we are now fully claimed, so this project may be moved to Readers Found.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

hdcn wrote: August 19th, 2019, 9:13 am
maxgal wrote: August 18th, 2019, 6:54 pm I'll claim Dream #8 if no one else has it already.
...LJB
Thanks, Louise! Your recording of Section 2 is in for PL, and I have assigned you Section 8. You recorded the intro correctly (referencing “Chapter Two” first, and then “Dream Number Two” at the end of the intro).
FAB, twice 8-)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

hdcn wrote: August 19th, 2019, 9:15 am Tricia, we are now fully claimed, so this project may be moved to Readers Found.
Aha! I've done so. Thanks for the heads up. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

maxgal wrote: August 18th, 2019, 6:48 pm Here is Dream #2:
Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

hdcn wrote: August 20th, 2019, 3:10 pm
maxgal wrote: August 18th, 2019, 6:48 pm Here is Dream #2:
Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:
YAY. 8-)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: August 19th, 2019, 9:20 am
hdcn wrote: August 19th, 2019, 9:13 am
...LJB
FAB, twice 8-)
Sorry, I need to back out of doing Dream #8.
Thank you...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."