COMPLETE [BIOG] Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints, Vol. 1 (Jan. - Mar.) - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Plodmore wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:08 pm Thanks! Speaking of saints, the now Blessed John Henry Newman will become Saint John Henry Newman on October 13. In appreciation for him, I am thinking of initiating a project of recording some of his sermons—I have a book in mind. I hope to get started this next week and complete it this fall. I’m unsure whether to make it collaborative or a solo. So, if you have any advice, I am all ears.

Russ
The important thing is to read what interests you. Be a bit selfish in this because longer books become a real slog when you're not quite half-way through. You have to enjoy the material. It gives you push you need when it feels like no one else cares about what your recording and you haven't even got a proof listener yet.

But things come. And you work a little bit and people see the book's title rise to the top of a thread with every completed chapter and then someone says to him or herself, "That looks interesting." Or "I want to help."

And if you make a book collaborative, you can always do the chapters yourself.

I wouldn't recommend a collaboration as a first step as a book coordinator, however. Too much fussing about with data entry until you get used to it after having done your own entries.

For myself, I'd like to share this one: https://archive.org/details/a546752700barruoft/page/n9

It's not as compelling, perhaps, or comprehensive, but it's a simple start for the reader and listener.

I'd do half of the book I cite as a commitment.
Plodmore

Post by Plodmore »

KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Plodmore wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:08 pm Thanks! Speaking of saints, the now Blessed John Henry Newman will become Saint John Henry Newman on October 13. In appreciation for him, I am thinking of initiating a project of recording some of his sermons—I have a book in mind. I hope to get started this next week and complete it this fall. I’m unsure whether to make it collaborative or a solo. So, if you have any advice, I am all ears.

Russ
The important thing is to read what interests you. Be a bit selfish in this because longer books become a real slog when you're not quite half-way through. You have to enjoy the material. It gives you push you need when it feels like no one else cares about what your recording and you haven't even got a proof listener yet.

But things come. And you work a little bit and people see the book's title rise to the top of a thread with every completed chapter and then someone says to him or herself, "That looks interesting." Or "I want to help."

I wouldn't recommend a collaboration as a first step as a book coordinator, however. Too much fussing about with data entry until you get used to it after having done your own entries.

For myself, I'd like to share this one: https://archive.org/details/a546752700barruoft/page/n9

It's not as compelling, perhaps, or comprehensive, but it's a simple start for the reader and listener.

Thanks for the advice--and for the nice option (and offer) of a biography of Newton. Busy today. Be back soon.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lmnei wrote: August 9th, 2019, 8:28 am Hi!

Can I please claim Sections 24 - 37 inclusive please?

Thanks!

Lynda
Kevin - do you know when you will be assigning these to me? I am getting a little concerned that people might start claiming these sections....

Lynda
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lmnei wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Thanks!

Lynda
Kevin - do you know when you will be assigning these to me? I am getting a little concerned that people might start claiming these sections....

Lynda
Lynda, I'm sorry! I didn't see your request.

I'll put you down for 24 - 26, 28-30, and 32-33 for now, if you don't mind. I anticipate this project will be popular in time and I want to leave a lot for others so that they can participate. If this doesn't work, tell which 8 you would like and I'll sign you up right away.

I'm sorry to have missed your earlier claim. I haven't been feeling too hot and I still trying to get my work done here.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Thanks!

Lynda

Lynda

I'll put you down for 24 - 26, 28-30, and 32-33 for now, if you don't mind. I anticipate this project will be popular in time and I want to leave a lot for others so that they can participate. If this doesn't work, tell which 8 you would like and I'll sign you up right away.

I'm sorry to have missed your earlier claim. I haven't been feeling too hot and I still trying to get my work done here.
I actually have the first 6 already recorded. I just realized today that it was not assigned (we have had a massive ISP e-mail outage for a few days now so I have been checking my assignments by hand as I am not getting e-mails). So I will just do 24-31 inclusive.

Lynda
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lmnei wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Lynda

I actually have the first 6 already recorded. I just realized today that it was not assigned (we have had a massive ISP e-mail outage for a few days now so I have been checking my assignments by hand as I am not getting e-mails). So I will just do 24-31 inclusive.

Lynda
Minus 27 and 31, I'm afraid. I'm sorry for all the misunderstanding. Your enthusiasm is much appreciated.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Lynda
Minus 27 and 31, I'm afraid. I'm sorry for all the misunderstanding. Your enthusiasm is much appreciated.
Kevin - 27 is done and ready to submit - I am just waiting for it to be assigned to me. The readers who signed up for the 2 in the selection I claimed need to learn to look for prior claims as the BC cannot be online 24 hours a day updating the MW. That is just the way the cookie crumbles. First come first served.

If you want me to give up 34 onwards that is fine, however I DID sign up for 24 - 37 a while back and as you can see from the other project, I am not one of those people who takes 2 months to do my recordings.

Lynda
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lmnei wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Lynda
Kevin - 27 is done and ready to submit - I am just waiting for it to be assigned to me. The readers who signed up for the 2 in the selection I claimed need to learn to look for prior claims as the BC cannot be online 24 hours a day updating the MW. That is just the way the cookie crumbles. First come first served.

If you want me to give up 34 onwards that is fine, however I DID sign up for 24 - 37 a while back and as you can see from the other project, I am not one of those people who takes 2 months to do my recordings.

Lynda
The problem is that I confirmed their assignment to those two sections. I appreciate your difficulty with your e-mail service and I apologize for my oversight, but I will not withdraw my confirmation unless necessary and in this case it is not. If this sours you to this thread or to my supervision, I'm very sorry. I can do nothing more than express my regret. And hope for your understanding.

I hope, too, that you will realize that I am new here and trying to do the best I can.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Lmnei wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Lynda
The problem is that I confirmed their assignment to those two sections. I appreciate your difficulty with your e-mail service and I apologize for my oversight, but I will not withdraw my confirmation unless necessary and in this case it is not. If this sours you to this thread or to my supervision, I'm very sorry. I can do nothing more than express my regret. And hope for your understanding.

I hope, too, that you will realize that I am new here and trying to do the best I can.
Correct Kevin - you confirmed their sections not realizing that someone else had previously claimed it. That is where the problem lies. According to all the readings that I have done in Librivox, which there are several, the person first to claim gets that section. So in this case, two parties made mistakes - those requesting, for not looking to see if someone had already claimed the section and then yourself for not checking back far enough to confirm that the MW was up to date. The person who is getting the short end of the stick is myself who did nothing wrong. That is where this does not seem right.

Lynda
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lynda, I have apologized. If you feel this is a matter for an admin, please feel free to speak with them.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Folks, as far as I understand it, only two sections are still open to claim.
Plodmore

Post by Plodmore »

Plodmore wrote: August 15th, 2019, 11:55 am
KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Russ

Thanks for the advice--and for the nice option (and offer) of a biography of Newton. Busy today. Be back soon.
Thanks again, for the advice above. I've also been reading the forum pages about this, and on thinking it over, I feel I should wait a while before filling my plate full. I'm enjoying the saint vignettes and I'll continue pondering Newman.

Russ
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My pleasure, Russ. My early religious education was at a Newman Center.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Actually, you said you would assign them to me above...

I'll put you down for 24 - 26, 28-30, and 32-33 for now,

Lynda
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lmnei wrote: August 16th, 2019, 2:58 pm Actually, you said you would assign them to me above...

I'll put you down for 24 - 26, 28-30, and 32-33 for now,

Lynda
They are yours, if I'm not mistaken. I was uncertain if you wanted 32 and 33 and will happily sign you up for them.