One minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Lion24

Post by Lion24 » August 9th, 2019, 11:58 am

Hi people!

I'm Roberto, and recently found about Librivox. This is my minute test. It is a raw audio, unmodified. I have knowledge about editing audio files; let me know if I have to clean it, change intonation or simply work more on it!

One minute test

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 10th, 2019, 10:23 am

Welcome!

Are you using Audacity? For noise cleaning, I'd recommend just doing equalization using the "Low rolloff for speech" curve. If you aren't using Audacity, this is what the curve looks like:

My only other comment is that you have a lot of plosives. This is when your breath directly hits the microphone on letters like P, F, or TH. Move your microphone a little bit to the side of your mouth if a desktop mic, or a little above or below your mouth if a headset mic. This will help the air pass by the mic instead of directly hitting it. (The equalization reduces them a bit, but it's better to prevent them than try to fix them.)

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

Lion24

Post by Lion24 » August 16th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Hi Tricia! And thanks for the welcome.

I made a second test, uploaded it again with the same name, and mostly important started to give some editing to the voice.
I'm still trying to properly setup my microphone, any suggestion? Not happy with the result; there are now some artifacts related to reverb, and some other annoyances overall.

Second test

Let me know :)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm

I don't hear reverb.

The way it is set up now, it's perfectly OK to record with us. :) Further fine-tuning or experimentation isn't needed unless you want to do it for your own satisfaction.

P.S. when you post files in projects, please just post the link rather than enclosing it in a URL forum tag. ;)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

Lion24

Post by Lion24 » August 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm

TriciaG wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm
P.S. when you post files in projects, please just post the link rather than enclosing it in a URL forum tag. ;)
Will do!

Thanks so much! :D :clap: