isms Collection, Volume 1

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

isms Collection, Volume 1

Before I go farther with this, I thought I'd put it up in the suggestions thread to get comment.

This would be much like the Centenary of American Prohibition collection in that a topic (or two) is presented for exploration and I provide texts to be read.

At present I'm think about having a brief look at (1) American Transcendentalism and (2) Communitarianism, as demonstrated in American 'utopian' societies.

Here are the readings I've found already.

https://archive.org/details/poetstranscende00cookgoog/page/n18

https://archive.org/details/pointsatissuesom00beer/page/90

https://archive.org/details/radicalproblems01bartgoog/page/n68

https://archive.org/details/miscellaniesembr00emerrich/page/318

https://archive.org/details/AmericanCommunitiesAndCo-operativeColonies/page/n655

https://archive.org/details/newharmonycommu00inlock/page/120

https://archive.org/details/newharmonycommu00inlock/page/76

These topics could be explored further at some time in future, but I would just assume keep marching, at some point, with (3) early 20th Century Progressivism and (4) American syndicalism.

I know the focus here, so far, is on the United States' experiences, but with help we could address other nations' experiences with, say, Chartists or Italian unification, etc.

Heavy stuff, but I'll be willing to carry most of the weight.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

There doesn't seem much interest in this type of collection at the moment.

I will be soon putting another collection on the launch pad, very similar to the current one regarding prohibition in America. This one will focus on immigration issues from 100 years ago. It is amazing that the arguments heard then are mirrored in today's political climate.
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 6:29 am There doesn't seem much interest in this type of collection at the moment.

I will be soon putting another collection on the launch pad, very similar to the current one regarding prohibition in America. This one will focus on immigration issues from 100 years ago. It is amazing that the arguments heard then are mirrored in today's political climate.
to be honest, i ever have interest in projects like these - but honestly would have to google your proposed topics, before thinking about it :-)
also, isn't this the mechanism of the coffee break collections? choosing a topic and collect stories of suitable length?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Last edited by KevinS on August 16th, 2019, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:31 pm
KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 6:29 am There doesn't seem much interest in this type of collection at the moment.

to be honest, i ever have interest in projects like these - but honestly would have to google your proposed topics, before thinking about it :-)
also, isn't this the mechanism of the coffee break collections? choosing a topic and collect stories of suitable length?
From what I understand, the Coffee Break Collection---to which I am a contributor---handles issues that are less political than what I am suggesting. I like that approach very much and it gives the recorder and reader a nice blend of fiction, poetry, and factual material.

What I am suggesting here are items that might be of interest to historians, sociologists, political scientists, and their students. None of it is too, too difficult, but it's probably not for the casual reader. The limitation, at present, is that the focus is on American issues, for the most part. I just don't feel comfortable addressing European matters---as much as I would like to, and even having been born in Germany---and Brazilian materials are largely in Portuguese.

I do want to approach the post-World War I situation in Europe, but, again, this would be from an American perspective unless I could rally our non-American contributors to help.
schrm

Post by schrm »

uuuh a sot of history/science collection...

interesting indeed!

for european topics like post ww1, the time frame and maybe even numbers of authors could be a problem, though: because of us copyrights, the time frame is 1919 - 1923, the authors must have died + 70 years before.

but that topic, maybe with some tuning (like political and social situations before 1923, with a focal point to war related texts), is highly interesting for sure!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:49 pm uuuh a sot of history/science collection...

interesting indeed!

for european topics like post ww1, the time frame and maybe even numbers of authors could be a problem, though: because of us copyrights, the time frame is 1919 - 1923, the authors must have died + 70 years before.

but that topic, maybe with some tuning (like political and social situations before 1923, with a focal point to war related texts), is highly interesting for sure!
In my ignorance, of course, I have always sensed that Austria, as an example, escaped the worst consequences of both World Wars. To be honest, for many Americans, Austria means The Sound of Music.
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:58 pm
schrm wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:49 pm uuuh a sot of history/science collection...

interesting indeed!

In my ignorance, of course, I have always sensed that Austria, as an example, escaped the worst consequences of both World Wars. To be honest, for many Americans, Austria means The Sound of Music.
...which some austrians don't even know as a famous musical or cultural export.
to reduce your ignorance (or rather mine), what do you mean with worst consequences and who had these?
which consequences did happen (im writing this in the northern part of tirol)..
and which consequences do you expect, wish for or even reject as "good" worst consequences?

ps: wasn't brasil one of the countries with the highest rate of nazi-migrants after ww2?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There have been other specialized collections before, for which the BC supplies the articles. One that comes to mind is a couple projects on psychology, like this one: https://librivox.org/american-psychology-1900-1922/

And there are solos that are similar, like this one about philosophy: https://librivox.org/american-philosophy-collection-vol-1-by-various/

So it's not unprecedented. However, they will definitely be slower-moving projects as you'll have fewer readers that enjoy recording non-fiction and/or heavier works. (For example, while the first psychology project only took 5 months to complete, the second took about 2 years.)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:04 pm
KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:58 pm

interesting indeed!

...which some austrians don't even know as a famous musical or cultural export.
to reduce your ignorance (or rather mine), what do you mean with worst consequences and who had these?
which consequences did happen (im writing this in the northern part of tirol)..
and which consequences do you expect, wish for or even reject as "good" worst consequences?
I don't think we can talk about '''good' worst consequences.'' But the vague sense that I have is that Austria retained its cultural cohesion and, to a certain extent, its political independence. Americans, of course, like to idealize things or exaggerate, so Austria is often looked at as a kind of Switzerland. Neutral, hardworking, resourceful, proud, cohesive even today, and prosperous because of this.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:06 pm There have been other specialized collections before, for which the BC supplies the articles. One that comes to mind is a couple projects on psychology, like this one: https://librivox.org/american-psychology-1900-1922/

And there are solos that are similar, like this one about philosophy: https://librivox.org/american-philosophy-collection-vol-1-by-various/

So it's not unprecedented. However, they will definitely be slower-moving projects as you'll have fewer readers that enjoy recording non-fiction and/or heavier works. (For example, while the first psychology project only took 5 months to complete, the second took about 2 years.)
Holy Smokes! Two years!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

You know, a Canadian-themed project would be nice.

What do Americans think of Canadians? "Oh, them? They're very polite."
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:11 pm
I don't think we can talk about '''good' worst consequences.'' But the vague sense that I have is that Austria retained its cultural cohesion and, to a certain extent, its political independence. Americans, of course, like to idealize things or exaggerate, so Austria is often looked at as a kind of Switzerland. Neutral, hardworking, resourceful, proud, cohesive even today, and prosperous because of this.
it was the exact contrary feeling of the many, which made ww2, the rising of hitler, and so on possible..
after ww1 there were doubts, that a state that small is able to exist. we lost all of our colonized neighbours, parts of austrian, german speaking countries and so on.
we even had bombing terrorists in southern tirol (let's say until modern times), because we (some felt like families) were torn apart..

the cultural situation before ww1 was jewish to extremely big parts. and when the artists and authors and..and their families weren't, their friends were.
nationalism, war propaganda and envy were amongst many many other aspects, which were leading to ww2. the science of the time, on the other hand, was divided into esoterics, antisemitism, science to this day and experiments with thoughts in every direction. amongst these were the pacifists and world changers bertha von suttner (red cross, her diary is read in german as a solo in progress) and alfred fried (thinker of some uno-like constructs, had war diaries and i read a short introduction to pacifism a la fried).

while cohesive is a rather theoretical word for me, difficult to describe and so on, we certainly try to advertise stuff like you described.
and we even have international contracts, void in aspects to this day, that demand of us to stay neutral, politically independant and so on.
--> leads to some questions, our little talk. so why don't you make it a topic and read some out of date analyzis and science of the former times?
:-D
(i know, your lists are so big.. and you already delivered a mountain of work)

but interest?
sure...

edit: i forgot to mention a solo in progress/pause: herzl... english version is already existing
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

listen to https://librivox.org/it-might-have-happened-to-you-by-coningsby-dawson/ if you want some of the real consequences of ww1. It's people not political and generals and leaders who promise people things and neglect to tell them the consequences who suffer
But we can only get the "winners" version of events in WWI - there doesn't seem to be many PD texts available from the losers

Anne